Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Of course I don't like it, but one thing I am not is a coward, unlike some people on this site who use or have used e collars in the past but are too **** scared to fess up.

There are people who have emailed me their support

It is clear though that people are NOT reading what I have written, but are getting carried away - understandably - by their own emotions.
I was wondering when you were going to give me an opening after the PMs to tell you quite Why I find e-collars SO horrendous.

When I was training with someone a few years ago (gosh - nearly 10 now - how frightening!) He had purchased a few e-collars to work with some of the extreme cases that he was dealing with - and yes - I did have one used on me - although admittedly at a very low level and only on my hand.

I looked on is awe as these dogs were 'cured', but I can now recognise the signs of dogs who show extreme appeasement, and who are trying to 'beat' the stim.
I was never the one to press the button, and the dogs were tuned in very differently and with a hell of a lot more time than Gnasher has mentioned on here. I still feel bad for the dogs now, and the owners, who felt they had a miracle cure, without realising what the dogs were actually going through.

So yes - in the past briefly - I thought they had a place, I have now had the chance t work with some truly amazing people who have shown me SO much more and rehabbed some dogs with serious issues....I told you what I did in the PM in the hope it would make you more aware of how dogs can appear to be 'happy' in the hope it would make you re-consider what you plan to do to your boy in the future.

But obviously I am too young and naive to know anything.

I said at the beginning I was saddened by what you have done to Ben - IMO you have abused the trust he placed in you over the 6 months you have owned him.

Weren't you the one who said 'Never say never?'.....and yet the thought of allowing a dog free running over a 50ft area attached to a trailing lead is so bad - you would re-home a dog before subjecting it to this. So instead - you make the do yelp in pain and attempt to recreate that pain when the dog is out of sight.
He had gone through a fence...what if he was caught on it? what if someone had hold of him? what if he was interacting nicely with another dog?....the list goes on.
Oh - I forget - you don't like the what if scenarios as well...

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I was wondering when you were going to give me an opening after the PMs to tell you quite Why I find e-collars SO horrendous.

When I was training with someone a few years ago (gosh - nearly 10 now - how frightening!) He had purchased a few e-collars to work with some of the extreme cases that he was dealing with - and yes - I did have one used on me - although admittedly at a very low level and only on my hand.

I looked on is awe as these dogs were 'cured', but I can now recognise the signs of dogs who show extreme appeasement, and who are trying to 'beat' the stim.
I was never the one to press the button, and the dogs were tuned in very differently and with a hell of a lot more time than Gnasher has mentioned on here. I still feel bad for the dogs now, and the owners, who felt they had a miracle cure, without realising what the dogs were actually going through.

So yes - in the past briefly - I thought they had a place, I have now had the chance t work with some truly amazing people who have shown me SO much more and rehabbed some dogs with serious issues....I told you what I did in the PM in the hope it would make you more aware of how dogs can appear to be 'happy' in the hope it would make you re-consider what you plan to do to your boy in the future.

But obviously I am too young and naive to know anything.

I said at the beginning I was saddened by what you have done to Ben - IMO you have abused the trust he placed in you over the 6 months you have owned him.

Weren't you the one who said 'Never say never?'.....and yet the thought of allowing a dog free running over a 50ft area attached to a trailing lead is so bad - you would re-home a dog before subjecting it to this. So instead - you make the do yelp in pain and attempt to recreate that pain when the dog is out of sight.
He had gone through a fence...what if he was caught on it? what if someone had hold of him? what if he was interacting nicely with another dog?....the list goes on.
Oh - I forget - you don't like the what if scenarios as well...

Tassle, I wasn't actually referring to your good self, I have told you that I would never break a confidence, or reveal what anyone said to me in a PM or a private email, but nonetheless I appreciate your honesty.

Absolutely I say "never say never". Which is why is started this thread in the first place! I have had dogs for over 40 years, and I don't consider I have done more than just scratch the surface of all there is to know and learn about man's best friend. The whole time, ever since I first had Hal, I am rethinking, analysing, evolving - surely this is what we all do as good owners? Not stick with the same old, same old, but evolve and move on on a daily basis. I work as a medical secretary to Consultants in a general hospital, and the Consultant I currently work for spends every Thursday morning at home or in the library on Amadeo reading all the latest abstracts in his particular discipline, and downloading the full reviews and studying and learning from them. He evolves on a weekly basis, and keeps up with the latest research, reads up on the interesting cases, etc. etc.

Obviously, the comparison is a little tenuous here, dogs are not humans, but the point I am trying to make is that we all should evolve, learn and continually update our "database" on a regular basis - which is why I always say "never say never" - with dogs, as well as horses.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
why on earth dont people get a subservient breed if they want a dog with more reliable recall .....its not expensive at all to work them in harness, you dont need a rig, we use mountain bikes more often than the rig they are far easier to throw in the back of the van,you could buy one really cheaply( i had my 1st bike given by my neighbour, im on my 5th now lol)the harnesses and lines arnt very expensive either so you really cant use this as an excuse to let them off lead and to subject Ben to cruel ecollar 'training'.... anyhow if you want any advice on anything just give me a shout, its great fun for both you and the dogs...if your dogs are sibes or sibe crosses please do the responsible and keep both them and wildlife safe.
Yet again, someone who just pounces in an emotional way without reading my posts.

If you had bothered to read - admittedly they are rather a lot - you would know that I am not obsessive about recall, I allow my dogs a free rein, I am fully aware that sibes, mals, and mixes of these are rarely going to have immaculate recall. I have gone to great lengths to explain I do not expect an immediate recall, all I ask is that my dogs do not run off - that they come within reason when they are called. They do not have to roar straight back to me and screech to a perfect sit every time I whistle or call them, I just want them to come back to me. They can do this any way they want, circle back, sniffing on the way, having a wee, whatever. We take our dogs out, off lead, for miles and miles on our mountain bikes along the canals, we don't need to harness them, as long as we keep peddling, they keep following!!

The problem we had with Ben was that during these winter months when the canal towpaths are flooded frequently, he has been running off onto roads and into fields and not coming back for several minutes, or even longer. So we have addressed that problem quickly, effectively and so far relatively painlessly for Ben.

Thanks for your kind offer of help - I have always wanted to work dogs in harness, but as I say cannot afford a rig. Do you know muddiwarx? She has mals which she races, and can give very good advice as well, so thanx very much
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
No, I haven't, only the vibrate. I do not use the e collar on Ben, OH does. If I did use it, then yes, I would try it on myself.

OH has though. Sick ******* screamed and jumped when he put it on and told me to try it out, and then fell about laughing when I burst into tears. He told me not to be so wet, and then proceeded to shock himself right up to the maximum strength. He said it felt similar to the games he and his friends used to play when they were young holding on to a live electric fence and seeing who could hold on to it the longest. Having made the mistake of sitting down on an electric fence when I was climbing across a stile once I know how painful that can be. I have no doubt that an e collar set on the highest level hurts - although Ben has very thick fur, with a double coat so therefore less painful than for a bare-armed human, nonetheless for the split second he has been nicked - twice - it would have hurt him. He yelped, I have said this before, and on both occasions he returned immediately to his master. Since then, the dog has barely put a paw wrong. I am glad that the momentary pain the dog had to suffer was not in vain - if the e collar had not (seemingly) solved the problem we had with Ben's recall, I would have been extremely upset.

Yet another day has gone by, with Ben still not having to be confined to the lead, still a very happy bunny running round the fields and woods with Tai.

So far, so good. I am sorry so many of you think what we have done is so cruel - I am just thrilled to have a dog who comes when he is called, like my beloved Tai. Who incidentally is benefitting from the Fish 4 Dogs biscuits that we use to reward Ben - it wouldn't be fair to give a biscuit to Ben, and not to Tai or Little Man, so we now have THREE happy doggies.
Ah, I get it. You're using the excuse of your OH using the shock collar as a get out to using the collar yourself.

You AND your OH are responsible for the dogs' training and welfare and everything else that goes along with owning dogs, surely? Am I wrong? Is he your OH's dog? Or does he belong to both of you?

IMHO, you are BOTH responsible for the use of this barbaric tool, not just one or the other, regardless of WHO presses the buttons to control it and if you really want to big up these things, I suggest you use it (and your OH) - at all levels - first with someone else controlling it so as neither of you know when the shock is going to happen.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Oh dear again someone who cannot READ !!

I did not say I do not repeat training, I said it is bad to keep repeat the same command. There is little point continuously calling "Come! Come!" If the dog is clearly not listening and has absolutely no intention of coming, you are just causing noise pollution for no good purpose.

I really wish people would read, I know my posts are a nightmare and rambly, but that's because there are so damn many of them, and OH is about to zap me with the e collar because he says I spend too much time on here
Yes, I can read, actually, and I'm not the only person understanding your posts in the same manner.

IF you are making yourself sound and behave like the most important things in that dogs life and he is still not responding in any way, shape or form, then it would be far more humane, kinder and sensible to keep the dog on a long line and harness and continually and repetitively work at his recall every single day until he has a stable recall. This takes time AND ongoing training.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Haven't read the last 5 pages - sorry.

Hmm, you've had behavioural problems with more than one dog, call them "gits" etc. Sounds to me like you (and your OH) are unable to train a dog properly and humanely, using far kinder methods than an e-collar.

If I were you, I'd find myself a GOOD, reputable behaviourist who uses positive methods of training. I'm sure people like Mish and Tassle would be able to point you in the right direction.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Thats not Extreme, Basic recall just needs to be taught. Nothing extreme about that, not one bit.

Terrible isnt it. Too gutless to test on yourself & to realise that you hurt your dog so much it cryed out.

Actually, I've plucked up the courage and after a lot of fuss and threatening to smash a chair over OH's head if he DARED to blast me on continuous for 12 seconds (thinking it would be hysterically funny ), I am happy to report that really it is a lot of fuss about nothing. Believe me when I say I have an extremely low threshold for pain, I hurt very easily, and can report that on the lowest setting you just feel a mild tingling sensation. As you go up through the settings, the feeling becomes more and more like a nip from someone with their fingernails, or better still, do you remember those Slendertone machines? you dampened the plastic pads, and strapped them round various parts of your body and it pulsed your muscles with static electricity, causing them to twitch. The higher the setting, the more severe the punch of the pulses. That is what this collar feels like. On the highest setting, you get obviously a harder "punch" than you do on the lowest. Please don't know accuse me of punching my dog and taking my words out of context. What I am trying to say is that the static electricity in the collar causes the muscles to contract and expand, contract and expand. If you are pressing the nick button, not the continuous, then of course you only get a split second contraction of the muscles. So this e collar is similar to the Slendertone machine that I used to strap round my belly to try and get rid of the flab, and I used to have it on a high setting too.

Yet you cant even offer that dog abit of your "TIME"

A bit of time? What are you talking about!! OH spends around 4 hours a day walking them, and at weekends we spend more than that each day walking them, or taking them out on long bike rides in the summer etc. etc. Don't call this a bit of time Involved in these walks is of course incidental training, all mixed up with fun and play

What like TRAINING? You wont answer SIMPLE questions, important questions. Thats why we are all "getting" at you,
What? Resorting to being a bitch now? That's nasty Mish, low blow, you know the reasons why we have ended up in penuary - at least I am sure I have told you, apologies if I haven't
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Haven't read the last 5 pages - sorry.

Hmm, you've had behavioural problems with more than one dog, call them "gits" etc. Sounds to me like you (and your OH) are unable to train a dog properly and humanely, using far kinder methods than an e-collar.

If I were you, I'd find myself a GOOD, reputable behaviourist who uses positive methods of training. I'm sure people like Mish and Tassle would be able to point you in the right direction.
O God!! IT IS A JOKE !! Speak to anyone who has these type of dogs, and they will same the same !! Some wag, I forgot who, says the collective noun for her pack of Utes is an ASBO!!

The type of dogs I like are challenging breeds - northern breeds (I am not going to use the W word for fear of reprisal). They are all gits, loveable gits, and I adore them and would not want to change them. When I first got Tai, I used to say he is too good, I want a dog who is more of a challenge - then we got Ben !!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 12:05 PM
O God!! IT IS A JOKE !! Speak to anyone who has these type of dogs, and they will same the same !! Some wag, I forgot who, says the collective noun for her pack of Utes is an ASBO!!

The type of dogs I like are challenging breeds - northern breeds (I am not going to use the W word for fear of reprisal). They are all gits, loveable gits, and I adore them and would not want to change them. When I first got Tai, I used to say he is too good, I want a dog who is more of a challenge - then we got Ben !!
you should not have these kind of dogs...u do not have enough understanding and patience for them!!
to say u love them..but have to resort to pain to train them?
you got your messed up rescue with a very sibey personality..... and u are out of your depth!
as to passing the buck 'oh its not me using the collar its my o/h' how sad is that!!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Actually, this is all far from a joke, Gnasher.

I know many people with northern breeds (neighbour of years has two) - I am also good friends with SibeVibe on here (being in amongst her pack is amazing) and have other friends with northern breeds who we often walk with - and have heard many a story from the likes of SibeVibe.

She may be smaller - much smaller - but do you think a Border Collie x Basenji who has been subjected to an e-collar in previous 5 years to me rehoming her and who had had little to no training, was not challenging? Ha. I wish you'd known her to start with and know the dog she is today. But like Ben, she WAS NOT an extreme case.

However, that said, the responsible people I know who own northern breeds (and any other breed or type of dog) keep their dogs on long lines (and harnesses, depending on the dog and size) and continually train them to recall without the use of such devices and surprise, surprise, most have learned recall! Fancy that! There are a couple of dogs though (one a northern breed) who cannot be trusted NOT to chase wildlife and so their owners are responsible and keep them on long lines. They are still able to run, mix and play with other dogs though!

With regards to owning challenging breeds and dogs, IMHO it really is not a wise thing for you to do as you clearly don't have patience or understanding for them in order to train and control them safely and humanely.
Closed Thread
Page 65 of 83 « First < 15 55 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 75 > Last »