Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I do try and be considerate to my friends where Max is concerened. If they are coming round for the evening I always remind then to wear something they don't mind getting hairy or drooled on. If a friend was collecting me and we were going out for the evening, I would close Max away if they came into the house for a few minutes as I don't think it is right for him to slobber on their good clothes.
Same here! Most of my friends are "wary" rather than absolutely terrified or disliking dogs. I would always put the dogs in the kitchen/outside when strange visitors arrive, and then visitors are not greeted with bouncy, woofing, excitable large dogs. Unfortuntely, all Max and Murphy want to do is sit on the sofa with my friends and gaze adoringly into their eyes (and lick all available skin).

Originally Posted by grommit View Post
I just wanted to share my experience, I have spent a large portion of my life so far petrified of dogs. I now own 2 greyhounds!!!!!

My fears started when i was a baby, a small dog got under the rain cover on my pushchair and licked my face. The dog meant no harm at all but needless to say as a tiny infant it unfortunatley had a large impact on me.

I spent the whole of my childhood absolutely petrified to the point where a dog on a lead coming towards us (no matter how small or large) meant my poor mum had to cross us over or go back the opposite direction!!!! I cannot explain the fear i felt and how intense it was.
I was also terrified of large dogs (due to some GSD's that lived next door to us as guard dogs). There were dogs in the family that I was never particularly happy with either.

I would also, at one point, cross the road, alter direction etc; even for an on-lead dog.

Eventually I grew more comfortable with dogs (as I got bigger). Maybe the fact that dogs didn't seem so "huge" all of a sudden helped.

A cousin of mine had a similar experience re a dog licking her when she was tiny (She is now 16). As a result she is terrified of even the tiniest dog (my sisters Yorkie). She won't go within 10ft of Max and Murphy, even if they are locked in the kitchen behind a 4ft babygate.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
A cousin of mine had a similar experience re a dog licking her when she was tiny (She is now 16). As a result she is terrified of even the tiniest dog (my sisters Yorkie). She won't go within 10ft of Max and Murphy, even if they are locked in the kitchen behind a 4ft babygate.

Aww i really feel for her. Its terrible to be so frightened of something, I really hope she manages to conquer it one day.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by grommit View Post

Aww i really feel for her. Its terrible to be so frightened of something, I really hope she manages to conquer it one day.
I know... we took Murphy round to see her when he was 8 weeks old (i.e. small enough to cuddle and very docile). She managed a stroke of his head, and he gave her hand a teeny-tiny puppy lick, and that was it. She was terrified.

When she doesn come to our house, we've been encouraging her to go and "see" the dogs over the babygate. They always wag and are happy to see her, but I'm not sure if she'll ever been 100% around dogs. (It doesn't help that our 2 are absolute loonies, who are often doing "wall of death" round the garden when she visits....)
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I
When she doesn come to our house, we've been encouraging her to go and "see" the dogs over the babygate. They always wag and are happy to see her, but I'm not sure if she'll ever been 100% around dogs. (It doesn't help that our 2 are absolute loonies, who are often doing "wall of death" round the garden when she visits....)
Aww well at least you are nice enough to put them behind the babygate for her. My sisters dog used to scare me as she is a little frantic but now i have my own dogs i'm fine with her! I think it's all about timing, meeting when the dogs are chilled out and trying to make it a good experience for all involved. Good luck to her, She needs to come meet our laid back sleepy doggies!
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
This is a little poem I have framed in my kitchen I think it answers the origanal question.
Mo and the Gang

My dogs live here, they're here to stay.
don't like my dogs, be on your way.
They share my home, my food, my space
This is their home, this is their place.

You will find dog hair on the floor,
They will alert you're at the door.
They may request a little pat,
A simple 'no' will settle that.

It gripes me when I hear you say
'just how is it you live this way?
They smell, they shed, they're in the way.'
WHO ASKED YOU? Is all I say.

They love me more than anyone,
My voice is like the rising sun,
They merely have to hear me say
'C'mon , let's go it's time to play'

Then stump's wag and faces grin,
They bounce and hop and make a din.
They never say 'no time for you',
They're always there, to GO and DO.

And if I'm sad, they're by my side
And if I'm mad, they circle wide
And if I laugh, they laugh with me
They understand, they always see.

So once again, I say to you
Come visit me, but know this too.

My dogs live here, they're here to stay,
Don't like my dogs, be on your way.
They share my home, my food, my space
This is their home, this is their place.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
This is a little poem I have framed in my kitchen I think it answers the origanal question.
Mo and the Gang
Great poem.... might have to print this for my house!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I do hate when Non Doggy people come in and wipe imaginary hair off my chairs... before they sit down... Cheeky G*ts.

So I send in the Leos... then they get covered in the stuff
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I can understand to a certain extent people who are afraid of dogs after a bad experience but it's the ones who just don't have any feeling for them at all that get me. You can see it in their eyes when they look at dogs.
I think a love of animals is in you from a very young age. I remember my Mum telling me when I went to the zoo for the first time at age 3 I would run up to the cages with my arms open wide. And basically I haven't changed except I keep these displays in check in public!
I tutor children and they come to my house and their reactions can really vary. Some love my two and others just have that cold look in their eyes and call them 'it' and go 'yuck' if they get a lick. What a lot they are missing out on!
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There is a big difference between people being wary or frightened due to experiences or upbringing, and people who actively dislike dogs, which I thought the OP was talking about. While we can all sympathise with fears and phobias. it is difficult, I would have thought to warm to people who tell you that your lovely pet is dirty, filthy, shouldn`t be in the house etc. I`ve been berated by complete strangers, usually mad mothers with embarrassed children, for taking my well-trained dogs on the dog-allowed part of our a public beach, and the local park. One told me that all dogs should be killed. How can anyone be friends with people whose beliefs diametrically oppose your own?
Ah well now I do agree there. I have patience for someone who has the potential for liking dogs. I get the feeling that there are many people with a fear who'd like to conquer it and I do know people who were wary of my last GSD in particular. It was so heart warming when after a meeting or two with him they'd say ( after he'd sat politely in front of them waiting for a gentle stroke ) " you're really rather nice aren't you"
However Claire I do agree about those who actively hate dogs for no good solid reason. I too would be unable to share friendship with them. For one thing I'd have absolutely nothing in common with them - it's fair to say that I am obsessed with dogs and I have to stop myself from talking about them endlessly! I must sound so sad- I do have other interests- but dogs are my absolute passion in life. Best head off to get some of that professional now then.....
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
There is a big difference between people being wary or frightened due to experiences or upbringing, and people who actively dislike dogs, which I thought the OP was talking about.

Funny, I read the OP's post differently. Because she said friends had said they "disliked dogs and were scared of them" I immediately thought the dislike was due to fear.
In my experience people who have used the qualifier "and I'm scared" aren't people who outright hate dogs.
I have an outright hater as an acquaintance at a social club I belong to- and truthfully, he's so obnoxious he'd never be a friend.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >