Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
sorry steve i find this out of order.
i can only comment on my knowledge from my oh company, but what i do know is more freight jobs run on time and to schedule compaired to passengers.

getting the loads on the track and off the road can only be a good thing.

er-why Marie??? It was tongue in cheek!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
sorry steve i find this out of order.
i can only comment on my knowledge from my oh company, but what i do know is more freight jobs run on time and to schedule compaired to passengers.

getting the loads on the track and off the road can only be a good thing.
HOORAY !!! :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 at last, somebody AGREES with with me !! er, watch out for them truckers maam !
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 09:15 PM
lol
sorry if i over reacted steve but it does annoy me, my oh is a freight train driver as you know, he goes out to work at all hours of the day and night to get the loads from a to b to keep things moving and on time, and it does have its impact on our family life, so although you didnt mean any thing by it it does annoy when they do their best.
i know passenger trains aint brill, i dont even use them myself i would sooner catch a bus and i can understand why ppl think and say the stuff they do as the customer, but passenger trains and frieght are totally different, and unless you know how they both run please dont presume they are the same.

i just think and it has nothing to do with my oh being a driver, that if the loads went on the rails it would cut down on traffic etc which in turn can only make every ones lifes easier.

we have different forms of transport that isn't always used as effectively as it could be for both clients and business as well as member of the public.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
HOORAY !!! :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 at last, somebody AGREES with with me !! er, watch out for them truckers maam !
lol 1 of my cousins is a long distance hgv driver i wouldn't do his job if you paid me twice his wage.
theres nothing worse than sitting in traffic in the blazing sun going no where fast.

as for road tax we own 1 car and part and parcel is the running costs inc the tax each yr.
i dont mind paying it but i think it should go on the petrol simply because the more you use your car the more you would pay, so each person pays for the use of the road in each of the journeys them make.
each user would then only pay for the travel they do on a yrly basis in with the petrol costs. if it is a company car they claim travel expenses on thier business accounts anyway so the extra costs would be lost.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree Marie-getting freight onto rail is best,but the main problem is the rail network and its limitations.They really need to invest in new tracks because the bulk of the current layout dates back to the early 19th century and given that Beeching shrunk it during the 60's-freighters need better routes to encourage more companies to use it.

One advantage a lorry has over rail is that it can take its load direct to the customers door from the docks for example,but its limted to an overall weight 40 tons.
Trains however can and do carry massive amounts with relative ease,no traffic jams,but its destination will still need HGV's for its final leg.

Me personally though-i hate travelling in trains!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 09:44 PM
money needs to be invested on the network system to improve the tracks etc and yeah lorrys would be needed to complete the final leg, but it would improve things generally on the whole for most road users.
steve i get free travel and never really use it..... by the time i have got to the station and walked from the station to work i haven't made my travel time any less than by bus.
although the actual journey time from a to b is 20 mins by train or 1 hr on a bus thats the only reason i dont travel by train.
i have stood waiting for buses that haven't turned up on time and some even miss runs to catch up time so from what i have experienced as a passenger who is paying for the service, buses are not always the best form of reliable transport either.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Now,now we have people whinging about the amount of miles they have to travel using their cars bla de blah.Isn't the general purpose of road tax supposed to be to mend the roads which they happen to be using.
I'm sick tired having low mileage and paying a high duty on my car and dont see why I should subsidise road users with extortionate mileage.
Well, it may be "bla de blah" to you, but when you're forced to travel 26,000 miles a year just to go to work and someone thinks taxing those with high milage is a good idea, then yes I'm going to whine.

Oh and I don't have a problem with paying road tax the way it is, the A66 is being made into dual carriageway and they're rebuilding the A1 from where I live, so I'm very happy.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6