View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Hmmmn on the wound subject, olly had the abdominal insiscion (sp) and so have a lot of friends/family's bitches that have been speyed. Not too sure why this is done as i remember our past bitches all have had it done via a cut in their side, and i know that female cats when neutered still have this method of surgery done so not too sure why the procedure with bitchs has changed
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Glad you have the problem solved Jeanette, much better vet if you ask me, it is important to sort the problem at the first possible chance and if a vet puts an animals needs first they will take instalments, have to say £400 does sound a lot, In the UK I think it would be less than half that although it is many a year since I have had a bitch done and then it was always as a medical necessity.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2005, 11:02 AM
We spay all bitches through a midline incision, but we always spay cats through a flank incision (unless they are pedigree cats as the hair colour can grow in different). Normally spay wounds have between 2-4 stitches to close the incision (depending on the age of the dog/skill of the Vet), after the initial 24hr period most bitches are amazingly bright. Its then keeping them quiet that's the problem! We charge £135.00 to spay a small - large breed and £155 for a giant breed. Coat changes can occur in breeds like Springer Spaniels, Irish Setters..their coats can become quite fly away. The only difference i noticed in my male dog was that his coat became harder to strip, so i clip him now. After the Wire Viz and the Border have had pups they will be spayed too.
deester
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Think you have made the right decision. It didn't make any difference to my dog after she'd been speyed... she's the same old sweetie. Good luck and best wishes with your dogs op.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Our vet would have charged £175 for out JRT. We used the vet the rescue uses ans they charged £100.

We were told by our vet that spaying protects the dog from tumours and septic uterus (Pyometra). SO that alone is a good reason to spay in my book.

Best wishes.

BTW Pixi has a fine line down the middle of her tummy. It is almost invisible.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 11:58 AM
These charges do differ dont they. To spay a small dog at our surgery its £88.00 upto £135 for a very large dog. It takes just a couple of minutes, why the excessive charge? I think if Vets made it a more reasonable fee, more would be inclined to have it done, especially when insurance does not cover it!
Dawn.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2005, 12:07 PM
We were only £95 for Star to be spayed at a year old so not such a small dog and that was including painkillers and 3 post op check ups.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 12:08 PM
i paid £156 for Sophie CKCS .......although prices do differ from place to place..

I paid £610 for Pippa's out of hours C section my friend up north paid £400 for the same op out of hours 3 days after me ............
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 12:16 PM
When we were looking to get out cat neutered, the prices varied from about £80 - £20!!

We infact, went for the cheaper option, and the vets are fantastic - helpful, informative and most important friendly to the animals!!

Shop around, and suss out the best, cheapest vets. They can pretty much charge what they like I suppose....

Not sure how much it will be to spay Bodhi, I expect reasonable!!

Can I ask, are there any advantages waiting for the 1st heat? I want to get Bodhi done, and was recommended to wait for her 1st cycle... Her being a pet AND a X - smaller size is no issue to me.

What would YOU recommend? 6 months, or after her 1st heat?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Rosie's spay cost £200 and she also had a mammary lump removed at the same time cost for that was £150 so a total of £350.

C-sections: Daisy on a normal week day cost £700+ and Poppy (same breed) early hours of a bank holiday Monday, 2am cost £300 :smt102 with out of hours vet.

We've now changed permanently to the out of hours vet........cost of EVERYTHING is half of our original vet!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >