View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Thank you for that link Claire - I cannot see too well at the moment so will read it through when I can. In the meantime I have bookmarked it in my epilepsy file.

Would I change Pereg for what she is now for a Pereg who was not epileptic? But she would not be my Pereg if she were not epileptic would she, and she and I would not have the close connection we do.

Sure I would love her not to have The Monster forever hovering, but the Pereg I have, the Pereg I love, is the Pereg who has to live with The Monster.

As do I.

And only someone with an epi would probably understand this.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

13-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Totally agree with you, Malka! I would never have changed Loki for all the tea in China - I miss her so much.

I am sending you healing thoughts and you are a wonderful mummy to Pereg. You both help each other.

Hugs to you both from me and Soochie xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2014, 09:23 AM
I have just spoken with Ram again asking whether the Seresto collar caused these latest seizures. He thinks not from what he has studied so am leaving it on for another month and see what happens.

If it shows that the collar is the obvious cause of her latest seizures, which caused my falls and the mess my eye is in, he is going to contact Bayer and ask them if they had any idea that their collar is dangerous for epileptic dogs.

And if they say well maybe then both he and I are going to sue Bayer - not because so much of Pereg although she is the important one, but fot the damage to my eye and faces slipping when she pee'd during a seisure when she was no where due for another one.

She has had far too many seizures since she had that supposedly safe collar on.

Which Bayer say are safe for epileptic dogs. And which now I do not believe.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2014, 09:27 AM
And only someone with an epi would probably understand this.
This statement must be true because I'm not understanding it at all. Don't you want to take away your dogs suffering? Don't you want to extend her lifespan and improve her health?

I've seen a human have a seizure in person and it was truly awful to witness. The person was also immensely tired and fatigued after and had badly bitten their tongue, if someone I knew well and loved was like this... I'd want so badly to take it from them... even if it meant dealing with it myself.

Sometimes change is not such a bad thing IMO. But again, perhaps I just can't understand as I don't have an epileptic dog.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Just googled the collar and side effects and straight away up came a post from someone who's dog had a 4 minute seizure, they work for a vet and have had reports of dogs becoming lethargic etc. when wearing one
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Do not worry Myra - Brandikins understood what I meant, because the dog is not suffering during a seizure - they have no idea what is happening. When they come out of the seizure and the post ictal period they are the normal loving dogs they always were.

Because as I said, only someone with an epi really understands it.

But I would not change Pereg for anything because a non-epi Pereg would not be MY Pereg would she. She would be a totally different Pereg.

I am not saying I would not love a "different" Pereg, but she would not be MY Pereg.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I Googled as well, and it seems like on Amazon... mostly recent orders of these collars are claiming that they are linked to seizures and skin reactions. Same as Malka, so there actually might be something there.

I do recall Malka saying some time ago that these collars were not deemed as safe for epileptic dogs... but that is not found on the package. The only real warning issued is to consult a vet before using on medicated dogs.

The collars apparently have not been really well tested, many people are saying and their safety and effectiveness is in question. I was going to try one for my Nigredo, but didn't want to fork out the $60 for a product with IFFY ratings. Now I know I won't be trying one.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Myra I am not sure about the collar.. Bayer said they were OK for epis. Ram checked and everything said OK for epis.

Pereg's collar is now off and if Ram and I can find a connection to her seizures and my resultant falls, he is going to sue Bauer and I am going back to Frontline Plus Spot on.

It is not just the seizures which should not have happened, but the mess my face in because Pereg had two GM seizure and I fell over her once smashed my head on the stone floor second times slipped because she pees when she seizes and I slipped on her pee.

And it is now costing me a for tune for computer spece because I rushed to her did not take specs off.

Do not know. Or it is the Seresto and Bayer have been lying or I do not know.

But something is very wrong and I think it is that collar.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

13-06-2014, 10:50 PM
I have just read as well, Malka, that the collars used for cats caused sleepiness and disorientation in their two cats. I would be cautious about using such collars on any pet really. Spot-on is quite good I believe.

I wouldn't use the collar on Pereg, Malka, best to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes. There must be something in it that would cause the wee cats I read about to become so poorly overnight and if they do that to cats, it must be the same using them on dogs.

Hope you are feeling a lot better now and your eye is healing as well.

Hugs xx
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm so sorry for the hardships you are going through. Even though I cannot imagine how you must be feeling, I am sending you the very best.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >