Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
I know that I am incredibly fussy. I won't own, anymore, any dog over 30 pounds or under 10. I won't own a hairless dog, or a dog with a bearded face, or a profuse coat, or a dog that has an inclination to drool. I won't own a dog with lots of skin wrinkles or an amazingly short snout. High energy is also out. I live in Canada and docking and cropping are still done here for many breeds, and I won't own a docked or cropped dog . . . .

I do admire dogs with all of those qualities, but have no desire to own them. Narrows down the breeds pretty quickly if I were to be just picking from breeds.

Ruby
I don't know about you, but my list of breeds I would own given my criteria only runs into single figures.

I'm always willing to reasses it if the right dog comes along though.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Saw yesterday one of them, Afghan hounds, to look at I think they are just beautiful, elegant, graceful,but can't ever see myself owning one, same for most sight hounds, but I love to look
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
QUOTE=Maisiesmum;2522148]I'm kinda with you on this. I've looked after a couple. The dogs are no problem but they just don't do anything. I find them bland. Maybe it was just the ones I met.I walk a couple of fab staffs but again I could not own a bull breed. Same with boxers. I like them but I could not own one.

Golden retrievers don't do it for me either although I don't dislike them.

My experiences with airedales has not been good but I have only actually met three. They were all out of control and one bit me.

I've never fancied chihuahuas but I have recently started walking a long-haired chi. He is just so cute. I could just kiss his little face in. [/QUOTE]

My Sister's litle Bichon is lovely-she just wants to sit on someone's lap all the time and is very sweet-tempered. Would bore me to tears though!

My dogs would be a nightmare for my Sister as they lave walks and training.

I like Airedales but they are too independant for me and some of them I have met are very disobedient. This may be an owner problem though as my breed are classed as having similar traits but my dogs are not stubborn at all and very obedient and trainable.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I would never have a Dachschund, met too many vocal ones and could not cope with the health issues-ie backs.

I met someone at an obedience training event who was on her 3rd dachschund and she mentioned that both her previous dogs had needed operations on their backs. I really wanted to say "Why did you get another one then?"
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Hounds and terriers don't do it for me, nor most of pastoral , gun dogs I love pretty much all of them , some being on my wish list, but my passion are the working breeds , rotties boxers, great Danes , porties, bouviour , Russian black terrier ... I could share my home with any of them.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
I don't know about you, but my list of breeds I would own given my criteria only runs into single figures.

I'm always willing to reasses it if the right dog comes along though.
My list, in fact, narrows me to only uncommon breeds, and in this province and country where anything but the most common purebreds are rare, that means importing if I want one. The phenotype of the Markeisje is what probably would be the most suitable.

My dogs in the past have mostly been mutts, rehomes and rescues, so I have acquiessed on my criteria many times.

My last dogs are purchased mutts - as I could get those that fit the criteria, and from an outstanding breeder. One would be mistaken for a Markeisje, but that breed is not on this continent and her pedigree tells me she is mutt all the way through. Unregistered dogs and mutts are 85%+ of our dog population here - opposite situation to the UK.

Ruby
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I am a GSD person through and through really, but obviously also love BCs. I don't think I will own anything BUT a GSD in the future, but that isn't to say I don't admire, respect and like other breeds.

I really like most of the pastoral breeds and also the livestock guardians. I like many of the gundog group and also the Northern breeds.
I am not keen on squishy faces or slobber chops.
I wouldn't want a dog with a profuse coat or a dog with no coat.
Toy dogs do not appeal to me.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 07:59 AM
I've never heard of this breed before and having looked them up, I was surprised to find I was making a fuss of a Markeisje lookalike about an hour and a half ago. In reality she looks like a collie x spaniel mix, but she fits the breed standard pretty much to a tee.

Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
My list, in fact, narrows me to only uncommon breeds, and in this province and country where anything but the most common purebreds are rare, that means importing if I want one. The phenotype of the Markeisje is what probably would be the most suitable.

My dogs in the past have mostly been mutts, rehomes and rescues, so I have acquiessed on my criteria many times.

My last dogs are purchased mutts - as I could get those that fit the criteria, and from an outstanding breeder. One would be mistaken for a Markeisje, but that breed is not on this continent and her pedigree tells me she is mutt all the way through. Unregistered dogs and mutts are 85%+ of our dog population here - opposite situation to the UK.

Ruby
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
I've never heard of this breed before and having looked them up, I was surprised to find I was making a fuss of a Markeisje lookalike about an hour and a half ago. In reality she looks like a collie x spaniel mix, but she fits the breed standard pretty much to a tee.
Probably the reason that I like their appearance . . . I love a Collie with some Spaniel influence and have enjoyed ownership of just that type in the past. I'd be makin' a fuss too if one crossed my path.

The Markeisje is a small dog (~14" height) however. They were developed in the 60s/70s/80s . . . from small mutts in Holland. The originator gave up trying to use purebreeds to influence the beginnings of her lines and went to the countryside.

http://www.riahorter.com/Dogs%20Not%...0Markiesje.pdf

I should add that this dog was the first dog ever birthed into my hands. I was sixteen. Her dam was a feist (farm terrier with some spaniel behind as well). Her owner, a friend, passed away too young and she became mine six years later. This might be another reason I like the Markeisje. They have the beautiful phenotype that is commonly seen in small long-coated farm mixes.

. . . this was her mom who was everything a small farm mouser should be (and held her own with the big dogs, cattle and horses as well).

These features - easy care medium coat, an unexaggerated ear, proper muzzle and an easygoing casual temperament - are what I look for in a small dog. I find myself naturally steering clear of dogs without these features. I guess once you've been spoiled there is no going back.

Ruby
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Go for the sort of dog I can take walking. Like a day hike walking so vaguely athletic/ hard wearing!

No dribble/ hairdressing/ Giants/ Heavy coats/ Droopy eyes/ Hevyweights.

Could have a poodle though. Once over with the clippers and job done. Sure I could manage that - so that's the exception to the hairdressing rule.

Probably no gun dogs. Like em but wouldn't own a whole one.

Sucker for the ubiquitous farm dog/terrier cross.

Liked every wolfhound I've ever met. Wouldn't ever consider owning one though.
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »