Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I just had to walk away from the PC to resist the urge to correct a lady who had invited us to `take a peak at her new book`. On a mountain, presumably.
It's just awful isn't it There was someone on here, a new member I think looking for advice, but although I had the answer I was so anoyed at the constant use of the wrong word that I just had to move on

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
lol! I am (a bit!) but I've learned to restrain the urge to correct or mock (well, I only laugh about it if I cannot resist!)
Sometimes I think we should correct or mock, if people haven't had the benefit of a good education surely they would welcome it But there's always some 'barrack room lawyer' who'll jump on you

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Like you would not believe
It drives me mad, I cannot believe that such bad spelling and grammar is not corrected in schools.
Do you ever read any of the selling pages on the "site of which we do not mention"?
That gives a wonderful insight into the type of people that are selling the goods
So very true, I'm having problems over there, to such an extent that I've decided to just stick with 'messages'

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Smokey Bear - Keith Waterhouse wrote an hilarious column on the 'Aberrant Apostrophe' a while back (a good while back). I will try to find it for you.
Oh yes please, I would like to read that

Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Yep I am the same, not so much incorrectly spelt words that get to me as opposed to the wrong type of word used ('are' instead of 'our' etc).
It's not rocket science is it, the one you've quoted is so simple.

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am sorry if it offends anyone, but I will not respond to a general thread anywhere starting "Hey Guys" or "Hi Guys", or "Hiya everyone" - or similar such greetings.
Spot on Malka, and I have a pet aversion to these web sites which get your first name when registering and use it immediately so much so that recently I have started putting Mr. as my first name, it's worked quite well for Investors Chronicle and Amazon who always greet me as Mr. now, not quite so successful on 'that other place' so I've had to become God over there

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Can't bear it at all........or everything in capitals.......or a capital letter at the beginning of each and every word. I have a friend on a well known social network site that does every single post like that.....so annoying!
The trouble these days is the minute you say something, even if it's with good intentions, people react badly, they can't take critiscism, they can't take advice, in fact they are so egotistic they can't even see that they are wrong

I'm so glad there are so many like minded people on here, and to be honest I've just about given up on the rest of the world, I watch the news for ten minutes in the morning and I'm so mad, I have to switch off, or I would be throwing bricks at the TV
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Have to say I hate the use of LOL in inappropriate places (not this thread) - I can't stand to see it used when the subject is clearly NOT LOL funny at all....

Pass the baseball bat.....
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I am a total spelling and grammar supporter. It is not snobbish to appreciate correct use of our language.

The usual suspects annoy me - there, their, they're, your, you're, to too two...are our... have, of as in " I should ov".

Punctuation. specially commas, are my big love.

I am sad
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:09 PM
No.
I spend hours each week marking children's work; if I allowed poor spelling and grammar to upset me I would be miserable a lot of the time.
It is lovely for people who can, to spell words correctly. Not everyone is able to spell, they just cannot do it, that does NOT mean that what they have to say is any less valuable or important.
As for teaching spelling and grammar in schools, yes, it is done. Do I correct EVERY spelling mistake? No as that would be awful for some children. Sometimes less is more and allows people to focus.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Why do you think teaching your children to converse with others is a waste of time? I'm not sure what children you teach, but to pretend that correct language skills are not important in the big wild world is wrong. Those children will be judged by employers etc.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I am a spelling, punctuation and grammar snob.

I agree with all of you.......... Until I met my OH, who is dyslexic.

It doesn't stop me loving him.... adn ew vahe a tol fo nuf.!!!

Not quite that bad..... but it has made me see the other side...

It's easy for us... but not everybody.

What really irritates me is bad English... Not pronouncing H's.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Americanisms...make me want to KILL!

Someone interviewed on the BBC the other night, "We're working 24/7, we are staffing up.". If I had had a gun, dead he would be...
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I hate that Google uses American spelling! Honour get's highlighted, but Honor doesn't, Neighbour vs Neighbor, Colour vs Color... Drives me batty! because using these words, I get red highlighted words all over the place, and I think my spelling must be atrocious!

I sometimes spell phonetically or use slang, but it's done correctly, if you know what I mean

Should've, would've, could've, hell'v'a, dunno (this is funny 'cuz it doesn't get highlighted), The apostrophe get's missed alot in dont though I try to remember it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No.
I spend hours each week marking children's work; if I allowed poor spelling and grammar to upset me I would be miserable a lot of the time.
It is lovely for people who can, to spell words correctly. Not everyone is able to spell, they just cannot do it, that does NOT mean that what they have to say is any less valuable or important.
As for teaching spelling and grammar in schools, yes, it is done. Do I correct EVERY spelling mistake? No as that would be awful for some children. Sometimes less is more and allows people to focus.
Thank you. Thats it exactly, I am sure some people are just lazy, others type like they talk - and really is that so wrong, yes Im not a fan of how some people talk but we are all different and language evolves within different groups of people - if people are interested in language then I would have thought it would be more interesting rather than annoying to see this evolution

and yes it can be very disheartining to put your all into a peice of work to have it come back all rinnged in red because all that can be seen is the spelling mistakes not the content
When I was young I used to write really really small in the hope that people wouldnt notice my mistakes
I was sent to special english classes, which didnt help in any way - you get given a bunch of rules - like ' i before e except after c' - see I learnt them but the rules dont always work

Still it didnt stop me - I have an honors degree, I am still constantly learning, researching things and I read several book a month (often several a week)

Its funny (sad) that people can look down on people and not understand that they just cant 'get' spelling, but totaly acceptable for someone to say they struggle with nuclear physics or electronics (things I understand easily with no effort)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Why do you think teaching your children to converse with others is a waste of time? I'm not sure what children you teach, but to pretend that correct language skills are not important in the big wild world is wrong. Those children will be judged by employers etc.
Yes, they will be judged, that doesn't make the judgement right though, let alone the judges.
Two of the most intelligent children I have had the pleasure to spend time with, were dyslexic and yes, they will be judged. Let's hope that they find an employer who is able to see past their poor spelling.

Yes, spelling/grammar/punctuation are important, but I do
not judge people if they make mistakes. We are all different, we all have different gifts. I try to see beyond mistakes.
Page 6 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »