Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jirmette View Post
Thank you, I do wonder if that was the case, the breeder also felt it was him testing boundaries and advised nipping it in the bud - she thought I'd handled it correctly, which was reassuring after some of the replies I had here that made me feel I'd made an enormous error.
I can understand a smack on the nose out of fright, concern etc (esp. as the pup had nipped on the stomach of your child) but it's not what should be done as a matter of course - however I guess that's not what she meant?

He's never acted anywhere like that before, hence me trying to find out if there was something wrong, he's normally an extremely placid, friendly, loving pup, even during his little nippy half hours if we say "Ow" loudly, the next time he'll still nip, but will be gentler - always very reactive to us.
It honestly sounds as if he was tired, or overwrought, but if you are concerned, get in a reputable professional (one to one trainer, good behaviourist, etc) just to check there is nothing wrong, for your own peace of mind

I'd also suggest getting some good puppy books - those by Gwen Bailey are good (Puppyschool) or "Before and after you get your Puppy" by Dr (as in vet) Ian Dunbar.

Info on coping with puppy mouthing:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Playbiting.pdf

Good luck

Wys
x
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
At 16 weeks a pup/dog is WELL capable of being aggressive.

I think I might well have reacted just as you did given the situation you were in. A smack on the nose is not ideal but in a panic situation it isn't going to do any harm. The trick is to make sure you don't get into the same or similar situation again---because the chances are nexct time he will be waiting for the smack and be ready to go back at you.

You need help to teach him to be calm in various situations, can you contact any local trainers/behaviourists to help you?

Did you see his parents? If so were they quite go'ey dogs or were they placid? I was involved with a mad bernese pup once and it is quite hard to handle a dog that size with no inhibitions and no training.

BTW---I knew what DS meant and I can't see any problem with using it, nor am I on any other forums apart from as an occassional visitor.

rune
That Bernese pup? Wasn't called Floyd and spending all it's time running rings round an exasperated blonde bimbo was it?

rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 06:44 PM
LOL---no---but that sounds like a story

rune
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6