Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ignore him and concentrate on Zena!! He's just a man and nowhere near as important as your dogs!!
Love it

(hastily leaves thread before husband reads it)
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Bless her Really hope it's nothing serious.

Hope her foot gets better by itself, and soon xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh heck that's all you need - a poorly man! If he feebly calls down for water/food/a book/a cuddle, etc. etc. etc. then you know that he is absolutely fine and you can go back to keeping an eye on Zena

Thank goodness she seems to be okay, and I hope that the vet tomorrow confirms your thoughts that there is nothing seriously wrong.

A day or two without any worrying would be good wouldn't it?
Thanks Sally, no water/food or book yet, just the moaning, the request for ice packs and eye masks, pills, water, not forgetting a bucket (all this in the middle of the night too!) He's sorted now, so my attention is back on Zena

Thanx Helena for your word of caution ... we have made some huge advances with Ben. I can take his ball, his toy, a bone away from him now if I need to with no fear of even a growl, let alone a bite, but then I'm his owner. With the vet, it could be totally different - better safe than sorry, I think we will keep the muzzle on next time we take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. I would be devastated if he went for our vet, even though it would probably be me not the vet who would take the bite as I would be the one holding him.
I bought a fantastic soft basket muzzle in P@H which I used the other night, BUT, have to say, it's not as calming as that soft wrap around one which shuts her gob up completely. I didn't use that one coz of course, being in pain, she wanted to pant, but sadly, that meant she barked at the vet. My advice would be the wrap around one, because for me it works much better, as they can't bark and frighten themselves let alone that vet!!! It's only a matter of minutes afterall isn't it, but if they're going to cart him off for blood tests or something, then of course, I'd opt for the basket one as you don't know how long they'll be do ya! All the best, my plan was keeping her quiet in there so many times would eventually make her understand that nobody's gonna hurt her, but it all fell apart the other night!

Ignore him and concentrate on Zena!! He's just a man and nowhere near as important as your dogs!!
PMSL at that comment!!! True of course!!!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Love it

(hastily leaves thread before husband reads it)

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Bless her Really hope it's nothing serious.

Hope her foot gets better by itself, and soon xx
Thanks Lou, it might have to the way things are going this morning, but I have enough Rimadyl's for another 2 days, so no worries really as long as she's stable, leaving it alone, and acting the loon
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Oh Lordy H, have only just caught this - what a nightmare for you and poor Zena

It may be something simple. A few years back Max was having a mad moment in the garden and then just shrieked and came limping it as though he could hardly walk. The vet ummed and ahhed about could it be this or that. A couple of days of limited exercise and painkillers and he was back to normal (well, as normal as ever ) and has been fine since.

Fingers crossed that all turns out well. Bad timing as well, hope your people will come back for another viewing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

I bought a fantastic soft basket muzzle in P@H which I used the other night, BUT, have to say, it's not as calming as that soft wrap around one which shuts her gob up completely. I didn't use that one coz of course, being in pain, she wanted to pant, but sadly, that meant she barked at the vet. My advice would be the wrap around one, because for me it works much better, as they can't bark and frighten themselves let alone that vet!!! It's only a matter of minutes afterall isn't it, but if they're going to cart him off for blood tests or something, then of course, I'd opt for the basket one as you don't know how long they'll be do ya! All the best, my plan was keeping her quiet in there so many times would eventually make her understand that nobody's gonna hurt her, but it all fell apart the other night!

PMSL at that comment!!! True of course!!!
We had the baskerville type (the cage) for Hal when he became large enough to do serious damage, just in case, but we only used it the once at the vet. She was quite happy that Hal would be OK, and he was. I agree with you about the barking - we have the soft wraparound for Ben and it works a treat. He can still breathe and pant just enough not to overheat in the short time it is on for, but he cannot bite or bark. Ben's bark is quite scarey - half howl, half bark and dreadfully loud - we love our vet so I will definitely keep the soft muzzle on for now, although hopefully we won't have to have any more trips to the vet now we have got rid of the mites and the wet eczema.

Glad you liked the remark about your husband ... I meant it, it was not said in jest! Given the choice between attending to my sick OH or my sick dog, there would be no contest!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post

It may be something simple. A few years back Max was having a mad moment in the garden and then just shrieked and came limping it as though he could hardly walk. The vet ummed and ahhed about could it be this or that. A couple of days of limited exercise and painkillers and he was back to normal (well, as normal as ever ) and has been fine since.

Fingers crossed that all turns out well. Bad timing as well, hope your people will come back for another viewing.
Looking at your avatar, I see Max is quite a large heavy breed. Dashing about in the garden he probably changed direction too rapidly and tore a ligament or ligaments in his foot. Hal did this when he was an adolescent, and it cost us a fortune at the vet, trying this and that. In the end he stopped limping, and the vet put it down to what I have described above - changing direction too rapidly at too high a speed. It must be terribly painful, so no wonder poor Max squeaked! Glad he is OK now
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post

Thanks Majuka, that's my plan too, I've cancelled the vet today, I've got 2 more days of painkillers and we'll just see how it goes, I'll ring her before I finish them though and see if she wants to see her off the painkillers. I've done 2 quiet walks this morning, for 20 mins each, NO ball throwing (much to her disgust!) soft grass, and watching her from behind and from the front there is NO sign of lameness whatsoever. She just went in the pool so I managed to peel away the fur between those toes and I can't see anything, nice, clean skin, no breaks, and she let me manipulate them, but whether or not the Rimadyl could mask anything going on in there I'm yet to find out when we're off them I suppose. Bad timing yes, but maybe an omen lol!

We had the baskerville type (the cage) for Hal when he became large enough to do serious damage, just in case, but we only used it the once at the vet. She was quite happy that Hal would be OK, and he was. I agree with you about the barking - we have the soft wraparound for Ben and it works a treat. He can still breathe and pant just enough not to overheat in the short time it is on for, but he cannot bite or bark. Ben's bark is quite scarey - half howl, half bark and dreadfully loud - we love our vet so I will definitely keep the soft muzzle on for now, although hopefully we won't have to have any more trips to the vet now we have got rid of the mites and the wet eczema.

Glad you liked the remark about your husband ... I meant it, it was not said in jest! Given the choice between attending to my sick OH or my sick dog, there would be no contest!
Yes, Zena's bark is the same, it's very scarey and very loud (even to me when she suddenly barks and makes me jump!). Well, you'll be very proud of me Nikki, coz Zena has had my undivided attention this morning, along with Georgie coz he needed his ears cleaned, and I've only checked up on o/h twice!!!! He can stay there until I've had my nanny nap and I'll check on him again around 4 o'clock!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks Majuka, that's my plan too, I've cancelled the vet today, I've got 2 more days of painkillers and we'll just see how it goes, I'll ring her before I finish them though and see if she wants to see her off the painkillers. I've done 2 quiet walks this morning, for 20 mins each, NO ball throwing (much to her disgust!) soft grass, and watching her from behind and from the front there is NO sign of lameness whatsoever. She just went in the pool so I managed to peel away the fur between those toes and I can't see anything, nice, clean skin, no breaks, and she let me manipulate them, but whether or not the Rimadyl could mask anything going on in there I'm yet to find out when we're off them I suppose. Bad timing yes, but maybe an omen lol!

Yes, Zena's bark is the same, it's very scarey and very loud (even to me when she suddenly barks and makes me jump!). Well, you'll be very proud of me Nikki, coz Zena has had my undivided attention this morning, along with Georgie coz he needed his ears cleaned, and I've only checked up on o/h twice!!!! He can stay there until I've had my nanny nap and I'll check on him again around 4 o'clock!

Thank goodness that I am not the only one who has a snooze in the afternoon

So pleased to read that Zena seems to be okay - that is good news indeed.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 07:29 PM

I am extremely proud of you Helena!! Well done you - I read out to my hubby what I had said, and he gave a wry laugh! He knows his place!!

I know what you mean about jumping when they bark - I jump clean out of my skin sometimes when Ben gives one of his demanding bark/howls. Tai has started to bark now when we are getting ready to go out for a walk, so I have started to squirt him with the hose - now all I need to do is to pick up the hose and he shuts up!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Hope Zena is completely better now. What a nightmare time you're having!! xxxxx
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >