Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Lozzi if you are going to get at Labmans opinions at least wait until it is something really bad, you said yourself that you know what the comment was in reference too, I also know a Greyhound round here who the owners were told to help him loose weight because he had a old broken leg injury and any extra weight would aggrevate it.

At this point he's not on about Jake, and hasn't said that he is agaisnt putting weight on a underweight dog or anything like that, turn it around, would you like someone to be doing to you what you are doing to Labman right now? Yes you may not get on, but that doesn't warrent trying to make his posts into things they're not.

To me one of the worst things is overwieght animals, I am not the slimest person in the world, but all my animals are at a correct weight, and I have strong opionions about overweight dogs if their is not a medical reason for them. You know Jake, you can feel Jake, know what his weight is like on him, so you know whether or not he can put that weight on, non of us do.
the reason i quoted that post was coz it was the last one i read, that was in reference to not putting weight on a dog! maybe i should have quoted another post, but i didnt think it would seriously be that much of an issue. i also, did not make my post rude or nasty, i just merely said i dont understand what the problem is, and gave my experience just now with jake and his weight! so how is that getting at him?? i think it is wrong for people to constantly hear him say people do not know how to tell if their own dog is under/overweight! i know he didnt mention jake, but he says not to put weight on many dogs which is exactly what i am trying to do just now with him. he often says to people who say their dog is underweight or too skinny etc, that they shouldnt try to put weight on the dog and its best for the dog to stay the weight they are.

and as for not getting on, i very very rarely post in response to him! so there is no point starting that one, there are other members who do argue with him a lot but i certainly am not one of them! and if someone questioned my opinion, in a way that i tried to do, then i would explain it and not take offence. i keep reading my post again, to see if i maybe wrote it in a way that i didnt intend, but i still cant see it...
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Then I'm surprised that your posts imply there is nothing wrong with dogs being underweight...perhaps I've just misinterpreted what you have said?
There is underweight and underweight. Peggy was way too thin and responded well to more of the regular kibble we were feeding. She was a far different case from say Gretchen whose ribs showed a little, but wouldn't eat any more. The professionals at the dog guide school were happy with her.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Just checked this out and score Ruby as ideal as she has lost a lot of weight (19 kilos) and now fits that category and Dyson is very lean and you can feel his spine and ribs. Ruby's problem was that she didn't eat enough to kickstart her metabolism but since getting Dyson she feels the competition that he will eat her food and that is the only thing different.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I'd say Molly is 3 When I got her she was just at the lower end of 3 but now she is perfect weight (6kg) and a perfect 3 I think!

I'm very very careful with what she eats as our cat was rather big (probably a 5 before she got her cancer the first time, a 4 after she recovered) and I've always felt very guilty for it as I think it really did have a massive affect on her health. It probably wasn't my fault because by the time I was old enough to realise my mum was feeding her too much, she had already got her cancer and was nearing the end but I wish I'd done something to stop her putting so much weight on so that I might have had a few more years with her Hence why I'm very very on top of Molly's weight, what she eats & how much exercise she gets!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
the reason i quoted that post was coz it was the last one i read, that was in reference to not putting weight on a dog! maybe i should have quoted another post, but i didnt think it would seriously be that much of an issue. i also, did not make my post rude or nasty, i just merely said i dont understand what the problem is, and gave my experience just now with jake and his weight! so how is that getting at him?? i think it is wrong for people to constantly hear him say people do not know how to tell if their own dog is under/overweight! i know he didnt mention jake, but he says not to put weight on many dogs which is exactly what i am trying to do just now with him. he often says to people who say their dog is underweight or too skinny etc, that they shouldnt try to put weight on the dog and its best for the dog to stay the weight they are.

and as for not getting on, i very very rarely post in response to him! so there is no point starting that one, there are other members who do argue with him a lot but i certainly am not one of them! and if someone questioned my opinion, in a way that i tried to do, then i would explain it and not take offence. i keep reading my post again, to see if i maybe wrote it in a way that i didnt intend, but i still cant see it...
Right Lozzi I shall explain why I wrote that post, you did something that I have done simalar things myself in other instances, but what happened, well it doesn't do you any favours.

First of this appears to be a sensitve subject to you because of your old boy, which you have explained in detail in another thread that I read, and I understand that there has also been a few threads about weight recently also. Now everyone has senstive subjects, I don't think its no secret that the subject that gets my back up the most is people talking about rage syndrome, well more like people talking about it that don't understand it, but give advice and throw things around like they know all about it. Nobody can help having things close to their heart because of previous experiences.

What I picked up in this thread, particulary that post though was that Labman made a comment about how good it was that someone was keeping their dog at the weight it was because of a old injury, and that the dog s otherwise happy and healthy, and then you then took this comment to try and get your point across, I feel taking that comment out of context to do so, even though you then go on to say that you knew what that comment was about, you also used Jake as a example, saying that he had health problems and lost weight, and you know want him to put it back on, I don't believe that anyone said you shouldn't, if I did I missed it, but why did you feel the need to say

i dont understand what the big problem is with someone trying to get a wee bit of weight on their dog, provided they do it in a healthy way.
When what you was referring to was in response to something else, something that tbh I think that everyone would agree to, that its better for said doh to stay the weight it as as the owners seem happy, and so do the vets, and provided that the quite you used to try and make your point was again in reference to someone who mentioned why they were doing it, to benefit the dog, and the what could happen if they put weight on the dog. I could understand if you was saying this about another post, but I don't see the relevance to what you wrote in this instance. So I'm asking you if you would like that to happen to you, particulary as I'm sure it was you who felt got at yourself a while ago by one or two memebers, how would you feel if they did something like that to you?

I know I have read things from other members who I have felt annoyed at what they continually write, but that is also why this forum has the ignore feature, so if someone annoys you that much you can use that.

I will also say that I will speak out about what I think or feel on here too, even if you think "there is no point starting that one" I know that there are a few members who are not that popular because of what they think, and I was disgusted recently when one of these people (not connected to you or Labman) tried to give advice to someone who had a problem, that person then turned around and shot them down, why, not because of the advice they gave then, but because what they had given in the past, and I don't see the point in that, all it did was make the person asking for advice IMO look petty, and why should/would people offer advice if that is all they are going to get? And I would of said something then, if I hadn't read that very late on in the thread, and their was a fair few pages after that as it was near the begining/middle area. How are people also meant to learn from each other that way too?

Also you seem to have offended from what I wrote, but can't see how what you wrote could be taken another way

But like I said it does come across as a sensitve subject to you because what has happened in the past, but the past isn't know, and people on here are not judging your dog are they.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 02:10 PM
China is a three.

You can feel her bones easily but she has a little fat under the skin. her tuck up isnt great, but its more because of a flabby belly from being bred before we got her. but if you feel below this her tummy is nice and tucked up.

The vet himself has described her as in "rude health for her age" which im happy with!

We feed her two tea cups of biscuits a day which isnt enough according to guidelines but she gets left overs from us and a few treats so it makes up for that missing cup of biccies.

Her weight has pretty much remained constant since we got her so we're happy!
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2010, 05:23 PM
All of my four are threes

If there was a siilar chart for owners I dont think I would be a three - nearer a 5!
AdamBinnington
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Raven - 4 (I wouldn't class him as fat but his build fits the number 4 diagram more than the number 3 one, but he must be doing something right as he'll be 14 in a few days and that's fairly old for a labrador)
Piper - 3
Flint - 2/1 (he just doesn't seem to gain weight)
Buzz - 3
Dipper - 2 (he was very poorly when he was a puppy, and as a result his stomach and digestive system don't work that well)
Munch - 3
Lou - 3
Gunner - 3 (however he's very close to being a 2)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Right Lozzi I shall explain why I wrote that post, you did something that I have done simalar things myself in other instances, but what happened, well it doesn't do you any favours.
why doesn’t it do me any favours?? I did nothing wrong!

First of this appears to be a sensitve subject to you because of your old boy, which you have explained in detail in another thread that I read, and I understand that there has also been a few threads about weight recently also. Now everyone has senstive subjects, I don't think its no secret that the subject that gets my back up the most is people talking about rage syndrome, well more like people talking about it that don't understand it, but give advice and throw things around like they know all about it. Nobody can help having things close to their heart because of previous experiences.
its not so much a sensitive topic anymore, coz back then I would get very upset when people made comments about sam but now, I think of it more as that I know he wasn’t overweight so I couldn’t care less what other ignorant people thought of him. if I was to own him now, then people who made comments would get a mouthful and I certainly would let my feelings be known. I just hate that some people are so quick to judge, and don’t think about the ‘whys’ of a dog being how they are. its like some people have this opinion that every dog should be the perfect weight, and don’t think about the other factors that play a part in it. then to have someone who always spouts out about how people don’t know how to tell if their dog is a healthy weight really annoys me. i get told all the time, that jake is 'too skinny' and 'underweight' and that i 'need to feed him more', but i just ignore them now coz i know how much jake should eat and what weight he should be and i dont appreciate anyone telling me that i cant know that. i dont like seeing overweight dogs, but after sam i always try to be open minded about why a dog is the weight they are.

What I picked up in this thread, particulary that post though was that Labman made a comment about how good it was that someone was keeping their dog at the weight it was because of a old injury, and that the dog s otherwise happy and healthy, and then you then took this comment to try and get your point across, I feel taking that comment out of context to do so, even though you then go on to say that you knew what that comment was about, you also used Jake as a example, saying that he had health problems and lost weight, and you know want him to put it back on, I don't believe that anyone said you shouldn't, if I did I missed it, but why did you feel the need to say.
I have already said that I maybe shouldn’t have quoted that post, but I could pick numerous ones to replace it that im sure you would find suitable. Having read many posts from him recently about dogs weight, I felt the need to comment and it just so happened that that comment was the last one I read from him, so I just hit quote. Again, I didn’t see that there would be an issue in that and I specifically put what I did at the end of my post, to show that I was talking in general terms and not specifically referring to that post.

When what you was referring to was in response to something else, something that tbh I think that everyone would agree to, that its better for said doh to stay the weight it as as the owners seem happy, and so do the vets, and provided that the quite you used to try and make your point was again in reference to someone who mentioned why they were doing it, to benefit the dog, and the what could happen if they put weight on the dog. I could understand if you was saying this about another post, but I don't see the relevance to what you wrote in this instance. So I'm asking you if you would like that to happen to you, particulary as I'm sure it was you who felt got at yourself a while ago by one or two memebers, how would you feel if they did something like that to you?
it depends entirely on the circumstances. There has been times on here where I felt some members were downright bullies and completely out of order, and that upset me. but there have been times when I have over reacted to certain criticism, which has then made the situation worse and all though it was difficult at the time, I do understand that sometimes my emotions take over and I make situations worse by getting upset and angry, and in those situations I know that the way I have conducted myself has helped lead to that situation (we are all human afterall, and cant be perfect all the time).

I know I have read things from other members who I have felt annoyed at what they continually write, but that is also why this forum has the ignore feature, so if someone annoys you that much you can use that.
so why do you try to pull me up for responding to him once?? If I was doing it constantly, then fair enough but my post did not warrant your response.

I will also say that I will speak out about what I think or feel on here too, even if you think "there is no point starting that one" I know that there are a few members who are not that popular because of what they think, and I was disgusted recently when one of these people (not connected to you or Labman) tried to give advice to someone who had a problem, that person then turned around and shot them down, why, not because of the advice they gave then, but because what they had given in the past, and I don't see the point in that, all it did was make the person asking for advice IMO look petty, and why should/would people offer advice if that is all they are going to get? And I would of said something then, if I hadn't read that very late on in the thread, and their was a fair few pages after that as it was near the begining/middle area. How are people also meant to learn from each other that way too?

Also you seem to have offended from what I wrote, but can't see how what you wrote could be taken another way

But like I said it does come across as a sensitve subject to you because what has happened in the past, but the past isn't know, and people on here are not judging your dog are they.
I took offence because I didn’t understand why you responded in the way you did when my post was not nasty or rude. Once again, I was trying to give my experience of what I am currently going through with jake, and that a dog can be healthy, put on a few kgs and still be healthy. i wasnt getting on at him, or shouting at him etc etc. i tried to post in a constructive manner, and one that was civil in expressing my views and opinions, plus my current situation.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 02:21 PM
why doesn’t it do me any favours?? I did nothing wrong!
Because you are the one in that post that people can see, and now read that you are generalising someones posts so much that you can just press quote to the last one you read, and write a response whether it is relevant to that post or not, and from what I can see asking whats wrong with someone putting weight on a dog, when Labman is saying well done to someone who isn't putting weight on a dog because of a old injury, well there is no relevancy I see in that post and yours I'm afraid.

its not so much a sensitive topic anymore, coz back then I would get very upset when people made comments about sam but now, I think of it more as that I know he wasn’t overweight so I couldn’t care less what other ignorant people thought of him. if I was to own him now, then people who made comments would get a mouthful and I certainly would let my feelings be known. I just hate that some people are so quick to judge, and don’t think about the ‘whys’ of a dog being how they are. its like some people have this opinion that every dog should be the perfect weight, and don’t think about the other factors that play a part in it. then to have someone who always spouts out about how people don’t know how to tell if their dog is a healthy weight really annoys me. i get told all the time, that jake is 'too skinny' and 'underweight' and that i 'need to feed him more', but i just ignore them now coz i know how much jake should eat and what weight he should be and i dont appreciate anyone telling me that i cant know that. i dont like seeing overweight dogs, but after sam i always try to be open minded about why a dog is the weight they are.
Are you not being quick to judge Labmans post by just referring to the last post that he made?

I have already said that I maybe shouldn’t have quoted that post, but I could pick numerous ones to replace it that im sure you would find suitable. Having read many posts from him recently about dogs weight, I felt the need to comment and it just so happened that that comment was the last one I read from him, so I just hit quote. Again, I didn’t see that there would be an issue in that and I specifically put what I did at the end of my post, to show that I was talking in general terms and not specifically referring to that post.
So why press quote at all, why not just ask him straight out

it depends entirely on the circumstances. There has been times on here where I felt some members were downright bullies and completely out of order, and that upset me. but there have been times when I have over reacted to certain criticism, which has then made the situation worse and all though it was difficult at the time, I do understand that sometimes my emotions take over and I make situations worse by getting upset and angry, and in those situations I know that the way I have conducted myself has helped lead to that situation (we are all human afterall, and cant be perfect all the time).
No no-ones perfect, but still would you like what you have done to Labman done to you?

so why do you try to pull me up for responding to him once?? If I was doing it constantly, then fair enough but my post did not warrant your response.
Because I saw what I saw, I read what I read, and wondered why you wrote that in response to that quote, as when you quote a post you are responding to that one.

I took offence because I didn’t understand why you responded in the way you did when my post was not nasty or rude. Once again, I was trying to give my experience of what I am currently going through with jake, and that a dog can be healthy, put on a few kgs and still be healthy. i wasnt getting on at him, or shouting at him etc etc. i tried to post in a constructive manner, and one that was civil in expressing my views and opinions, plus my current situation.
If it was my post that you responded, I wrote what Labman did, and you wrote would you did, I would be annoyed, I would wonder why you wrote that, whether you was trying to start a argument, or whether you've had a off day and wasn't thinking properly or read what I wrote properly tbh. That is why I picked up on it, espically as in that case I thought the same, so would you then of said that post to me?
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >