View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm currently reading The Take by Martina Cole after seeing it on Sky One.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I have just started an Alex Cava one called Exposed. Good so far.....He/she writes thrillers and this one is about a serial killer who uses a virus!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Maybe we could start a Dogsey book club? We could each take it in turns to choose a book. Only problem is that I'm not the worlds fastest reader!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Maybe we could start a Dogsey book club? We could each take it in turns to choose a book. Only problem is that I'm not the worlds fastest reader!
Only problem with that is we don't all like the same writers!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 12:55 PM
We could just write reviews on the books we have read and add them whenever.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
We could just write reviews on the books we have read and add them whenever.
We could do that, either recommending a book or recommending others to avoid it!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Pidge, I have just been looking on amazon for new Stephen Kings as I haven't read any for quite a few years. I didn't realise there were so many and I thought I had read most of them!!!

Some of the best ones I read (and scariest) were, Rose Madder, It (totally terrified of clowns before reading this and still can't stand to look at one), The Stand (scary thought all your loved ones being killed off), Salem's Lot (child vampires is just too creepy). I could go on and on.....

Oooh, Insomnia was a good one, less freaky but very deep. And Desperation was great too.

What are your favs?

ETA: How could I forget The Shining?!!!!!!!! Definitely the scariest of all and the film was bloomin' terrifying too....the one with Jack Nicholson I mean.
Hey Janie, agree with all your favs to be honest. The earlier stuff is much much better but I really enjoyed my last Christmas pressie, his latest - Just After Sunset. There were some really good thought provoking short stories in there. I like the fact that his stories have grown in time/with age. He's still there, he's just not quite as powerful.

I think my top 3 would have to be:

1. The Stand - the idea behind it is chilling and the character profile is AMAZING! You really connect with each of them and find yourself willing them to survival the whole way!!

2. Hearts in Atlantis - pure genius writing! Three short stories that are all connected and done so well! I've often read a short story of his and felt gutted that there weren't more. With this book there were, twice! This to me sums up the skill and genius of SK.

3. The Dark Half - made me scared of crows for the rest of my life! Very chilling, look behind you book and one of the best page-turners I have ever read. Unputdownable (for Rach).

Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Just finished re-reading The Spear by James Herbert, scary stuff Still makes me want to sleep with the light on. I think I like James Herbert better than Stephen King. I liked King's early stuff, The Dead Zone, The Stand, and Firestarter, but I found he went a bit over the top with his narrative and a bit verbose, padding out his books.

One of my all time favs, is Peter Straub's Ghost Story, which was made into a film. and Shadowland was another good one.

I enjoyed Barbara Erskine, Hiding From the Light, if you enjoy novels with a supernatural twist. Her other novels are all very good too, combines past, present with history.

Reading another Barbara Erskine book at the moment Lady of Hey.

Elaine xxx
Oddly enough Elaine I don't agree with you (I know, shocker eh ;o) As per above I think SK's earlier stuff is better but I like the new stuff too, just in a different way. I never thought James Herbert was anywhere close to SK in terms of writing skill but I enjoyed Kiss the Girls very much.

I find that too, when they get too prolific they tend to loose their voice a bit, but have a go at Barbara Erskine, if you like that kind of thing. Another good one is Kate Morton.

Stephen King is not one of my must reads now am afraid, I have grown up a bit from him now.
For serious reading....sorry guys, I still love Shakespeare, if you want murder, sex and intrique oh and ghosts, then give him a go!!!!!

Elaine xxx
Do you think his stories are childish then? Just interested as am clearly his ''No1 fan'' ;o)
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Oooh yeah, The Dark Half was very creepy.....I seem to remember sparrows?
SK was my author of choice when I was a teenager, I read them constantly but I don't think his books are childish. Everyone has different tastes. As I've got older I've gotten more scared so stick to crime/spy thrillers more often.

I've read Others by James Herbert and thought that was good but a bit too gruesome(sp) for me. I have another of his books but have so many others to read first it will take a while to get round to it.

MumtoMany, I know we all like different authors but it might make us all read books by people we would never think to. It was just an idea anyway and as Isaid I'm a pretty slow reader so probably wouldn't keep up!

Anyone like Robert Ludlum or Frederick Forsyth? Love both these authors.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Hey Janie, agree with all your favs to be honest. The earlier stuff is much much better but I really enjoyed my last Christmas pressie, his latest - Just After Sunset. There were some really good thought provoking short stories in there. I like the fact that his stories have grown in time/with age. He's still there, he's just not quite as powerful.

I think my top 3 would have to be:

1. The Stand - the idea behind it is chilling and the character profile is AMAZING! You really connect with each of them and find yourself willing them to survival the whole way!!

2. Hearts in Atlantis - pure genius writing! Three short stories that are all connected and done so well! I've often read a short story of his and felt gutted that there weren't more. With this book there were, twice! This to me sums up the skill and genius of SK.

3. The Dark Half - made me scared of crows for the rest of my life! Very chilling, look behind you book and one of the best page-turners I have ever read. Unputdownable (for Rach).

Oddly enough Elaine I don't agree with you (I know, shocker eh ;o) As per above I think SK's earlier stuff is better but I like the new stuff too, just in a different way. I never thought James Herbert was anywhere close to SK in terms of writing skill but I enjoyed Kiss the Girls very much.

What have you read of James Herbert then? Try reading The Spear,Shrine,The Magic Cottage and many more, I enjoy his writing because he's British and can relate better to places I still think that King has overgrown his own success! Whereby his early stuff was good reading, The Stand, The Dead Zone I liked the way he used characters from one novel in another. It's a matter of taste I still find King very verbose now and too much padding and descriptive diarrhea for me now. That said, he is a good writer technically but as I said his success has, imo, made him too prolific in his writing. Try reading H.P. Lovecraft, who by the way, inspired King.
Not boasting or anything but when you have done a degree in English Lit, you find writers and novels that would blow your mind in half the word count that King uses.

Do you think his stories are childish then? Just interested as am clearly his ''No1 fan'' ;o)

I never said his stories are childish, I said I had grown up from them, there is a difference.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:34 PM
[/B]

I never said his stories are childish, I said I had grown up from them, there is a difference.
I just wasn't sure what that meant? When you say you have ''grown up from them'' do you mean you prefer a more mature story? Sorry, I'm confused but curious.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >