View Poll Results: Entire Males
Entire with No problems at all 49 77.78%
Entire but wanders/scent marks in house/humps 2 3.17%
Entire but developed related health issues 4 6.35%
Entire but aggressive 1 1.59%
Neutered but still humps etc 8 12.70%
Neutered but still developed health issues 0 0%
Neutered but still aggressive 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I would not keep a bitch entire if I did not have plans to breed. Just would not want t risk another pyo.
yes but that is a real reason, still for me a bitch should be fully matured before being spayed. What I dont agree with is the, well they are pets so just neuter/spay, especially very young puppies...
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
yes but that is a real reason, still for me a bitch should be fully matured before being spayed. What I dont agree with is the, well they are pets so just neuter/spay, especially very young puppies...

...but I am still getting them done as a preventative and yes mine are pets, I would not intentionally get them done very young......sorry - maybe I misunderstood your post.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Hmm well the entire male here is a big girls blouse tbh and has confidence issues, which are being worked on and showing definite signs of improvement. He's not mine, he's a foster but he is gaining hugely from being around the others. The other foster is neutered but has a huge weight issue and no manners whatsoever, he's owners just let him do whatever he wanted, ffs he weighed 64 kgs when he arrived here and Syd is 46 kgs to give you an idea. I think he was just too fat to argue about anything. He's now down to 52kgs so has a fair way to go yet, but seems happy enough and is a lovely boy personality wise.
Syd my neutered male has no issues and is very confident in his own skin. I think the big thing is he likes other dogs and enjoys their company on his terms at least and has always had to put up with dogs coming and going on a regular basis so doesn't bat an eyelid.
64kg's OMG Im surprised he could move (mines a little on the lean side at 45 but still, cant imagine another 20kg)

yep, Loui likes playing and running, sometimes just being around dogs but as you say, on his terms, if they come with attitude he thinks its his job to tell them about it.. females can boss him around as much as they like.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
64kg's OMG Im surprised he could move (mines a little on the lean side at 45 but still, cant imagine another 20kg)

yep, Loui likes playing and running, sometimes just being around dogs but as you say, on his terms, if they come with attitude he thinks its his job to tell them about it.. females can boss him around as much as they like.
Shocking isn't it, they were loving him to death . He could always find the energy to counter surf though and every time you opened the fridge he was there. On top of that the only command he knew was sit, which at that weight was what he did naturally anyway. He's such a lovable b*gger though.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Interesting replies It seems the general consensus that having entire males is absolutely no problem at all both with behaviour and health.

So it seems all this neutering hype that the vets tell you is all a big con to get more money out of you
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
...but I am still getting them done as a preventative and yes mine are pets, I would not intentionally get them done very young......sorry - maybe I misunderstood your post.
There are a lot of people that just spay and neuter without looking into the why's, pro's and cons of it. Dogs being neutered/spayed before maturity etc 'just because thats what your supposed to do' I dont think thats healthy, there are also a lot of people that think if they neuter a male, he should automatically get on with dogs, or he shouldnt mark anymore etc when it is training that will usually change this, not only neutering. I dont think neutering should ever be a substitute for training (I'm not saying thats anyone here) but I have seen that a lot.

Thats pretty much what I disagree with. If you feel pyo is (and its common) a real risk and you do not want to show or breed then I agree with spaying but not before maturity.

If I get a female rescue she will likley either already be spayed or sold on contract to be spayed so I wouldnt have a choice there. If I bought a puppy, I wouldnt spay before 3-4 years old. My male isnt allowed to roam, mate with which bitch helikes etc and I see no physical health benefit for him, dont have any 'issues' I cant handle etc so I do not see the need to neuter. I would only put him through a GA and remove his body parts for a health issue etc.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Shocking isn't it, they were loving him to death . He could always find the energy to counter surf though and every time you opened the fridge he was there. On top of that the only command he knew was sit, which at that weight was what he did naturally anyway. He's such a lovable b*gger though.
It really is shocking, especially for a breed that automatically looks athletic, to get to that state how do you not see what thats doing to them

Have to admit I know of some dogs that are lucky to get 10 mins exercise a day, others that are fed tit-bits all day...I dont see whats hard about keeping them in condition actually but then I suppose everyones lives and circumstances etc are different.

Glad hes losing weight and I bet there has still been an improvement in his energy already, even with more to go...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Interesting replies It seems the general consensus that having entire males is absolutely no problem at all both with behaviour and health.

So it seems all this neutering hype that the vets tell you is all a big con to get more money out of you
Your probably right, although speaking in favour of my vet I have to say he has never questioned whether I was ever having any of mine neutered or not, which I think is nice as it gives you a personal choice
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:47 AM
i dont think its a money making scheme from vets at all.... you can only castrate once

that compared to diagnostic tests, biopsy's,rads etc if a suspected testicular tumor etc

its simply what they are taught to do.. and some do go against the grain.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I have neutered boy here, he was a rescue, so I had no say in the matter. If however my next dog is a boy, he wont be neutered except for medical reasons
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >