Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Sorry but I am not being made feel like an irresponsible owner because I refuse to put my dog through a totally un-necessary anaesthetic (mortality risk) because I have made an informed choice not to neuter. I would never say it is right for everyone not to and believe in doing what is right for your own dog. I have always had intact males and never has one travelled miles to get his end away. They have never had any behavioural or health issues connected to being intact and have never been resposible for producing unwanted or infact any pups.
Beau will keep his ginger nuts unless losing them is of benefit to him.
I agree with you, too, Lionhound.
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Since getting my giant breed puppy (now 5 months) I've been doing quite a bit of research on neutering. Particularly for giant breeds there seems to be the growth plate issue but also 3 x the incidence of bone cancer is seen in males neutered before one year old, also 3 x the incidence of hypothyroidism. The veterinary reports I read said that testicular cancer affected less than 1% anyway and tended to be easily dealt with by neutering as and when it happens. There seem to be reports promoting both sides of the issue but I definitely feel there are enough doubts about neutering before full maturity to make me feel it's better to wait. I think it's a different matter for bitches though and maybe smaller breeds who reach maturity earlier. IMO can't see the point of surgically removing parts of the body 'just in case' they cause trouble.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Again, all anecdotal.

As for aggression, who says that neutering is the sole factor responsible? genetics and environmental factors are equally responsible for aggression. Dogs don't just 'become' aggressive because they are neutered.
Ask "Luke" on here what happened to his Springer when he had him neutered, NOT anecdotal then is it!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
You can't just go chopping bits off in case a cancer or whatever develops at some point.
So if you had a bitch, you wouldn't spay her despite the risk of pyometra increasing as the bitch got older? after all, that would be 'chopping bits off' to avoid something developing in the future, too.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fluffypup View Post
Since getting my giant breed puppy (now 5 months) I've been doing quite a bit of research on neutering. Particularly for giant breeds there seems to be the growth plate issue but also 3 x the incidence of bone cancer is seen in males neutered before one year old, also 3 x the incidence of hypothyroidism. The veterinary reports I read said that testicular cancer affected less than 1% anyway and tended to be easily dealt with by neutering as and when it happens. There seem to be reports promoting both sides of the issue but I definitely feel there are enough doubts about neutering before full maturity to make me feel it's better to wait. I think it's a different matter for bitches though and maybe smaller breeds who reach maturity earlier. IMO can't see the point of surgically removing parts of the body 'just in case' they cause trouble.
Good post
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
NOT anecdotal then is it!!
Sure it is. My dog was fine after being neutered, as were a zillion other dogs...ancodotal. Some dogs develop behaviour issues after being neutered...ancedotal. No one can say that there is a direct link between neutering and aggression. Aggression is the result of genetics and/or some environmental factors. Cutting off a dogs bollock$ won't cause an otherwise well bred, temperamentally stable dog to become aggressive.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I'm sorry I'm gonna jump in here. EVERY dog who is not going to be bred should be spayed or neutered!
In "your" opinion, Id rather not risk my dogs under anesthetic thanks if its not necessary!

waiting 'till their a year old is a good idea, but sometimes, like in this case, neutering early is a good idea so the "male" behaviors dont become habit
Again, your opinion only, you dont know these things will stop at all!!

accidental litters DO NOT NEED to happen and as overcrowded as shelters are, we dont need to bring more puppies in to this world.
I agree, all RESCUE dogs should be spayed and neutered.

Dogs that are neutered have a ZERO risk of testicular cancer,
Its a microscopic risk anyway, and prostate problems occur in neutered males anyway, invalid scaremongery!!

spayed dogs have a MUCH reduced risk of Mammary Cancer, and a ZERO risk of uterine cancer
Agreed, but nowhere near all females will get them if they are not spayed either.

Neutering is not a cure all by any means, BUT an intact dog will travel MILES for a bitch in heat, if it gets out of the yard.... this will stop with a neuter.
Rubbish, if a dog wants to escape it will, bitch in season or not! Neutering doesnt stop a dogs legs working!
I do not believe in leaving ANY dog intact that is not a perfect specimen of the breed, and therefore used for breeding.
Once more, your opinion, I respect it but dont agree with it.

besides, heats for an intact female can be hard on them, and you run a MAJOR risk of unwanted puppies.
Only if you are an irresponsible owner, if you are responsible you will make sure your dog is safe, if you cant ensure your dogs safety then you shouldnt have one!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
So if you had a bitch, you wouldn't spay her despite the risk of pyometra increasing as the bitch got older? after all, that would be 'chopping bits off' to avoid something developing in the future, too.
Perhaps you would like to make it compulsory?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Sure it is. My dog was fine after being neutered, as were a zillion other dogs...ancodotal. Some dogs develop behaviour issues after being neutered...ancedotal. No one can say that there is a direct link between neutering and aggression. Aggression is the result of genetics and/or some environmental factors. Cutting off a dogs bollock$ won't cause an otherwise well bred, temperamentally stable dog to become aggressive.
But it can be a factor in a spayed females becoming aggressive.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Fluffypup View Post
Thanks; this is very interesting.
Page 6 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »