Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Oh please accept my apologies. Since they have not appeared in the BRS I assumed they hadn't been tested. I am sure they will appear in the next one then

Again, I didn't realise you had a copy, so therefore you can see what I am talking about?
One shouldn't make assumptions in a discussion

There is no need to resort to sarcasm Tara. As I said, everything I have read and been told points to the fact that not all late onset cataracts are hereditary.
That's right, but it doesn't mean it isn't either, therefore my examiner sees fit to warn people not to breed from dogs with it JUST IN CASE as stated in one of my original posts.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
One shouldn't make assumptions in a discussion
I think it is relatively safe to make assumptions based on official publications as long as you are prepared to apologise if it is proved to the contrary In this case, I am sure they will be in the next BRS, so that is fine. I hope they were both clear

That's right, but it doesn't mean it isn't either, therefore my examiner sees fit to warn people not to breed from dogs with it JUST IN CASE as stated in one of my original posts.
However, you were asking for documentation that proved definitively they shouldn't breed if a dog has any type of cataract. Which isn't always the case.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't see whay having a genetic (if it is) problem should preclude an animal from breeding, after all they may have this disease but be the only line free from another one. You shouldn't exclude a dog from the breeding program on just one thing. Of course once it's been diagnosed then a considerable amount of care needs to be taken and lines thoroughly researched and of course if the disorder is a simple recessive then both parents will be carriers and all the offspring at best will be carriers.
So certainly I think that blood samples from all these dogs should be submitted to help establish a gene test, that goes without saying, but to just say under no circumstances breed is a tad short sighted.
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I think it is relatively safe to make assumptions based on official publications as long as you are prepared to apologise if it is proved to the contrary In this case, I am sure they will be in the next BRS, so that is fine. I hope they were both clear
You and I both know the BRS is not a weekly, or even monthly publication, so even the most eagle eye of us who want to see things, have to wait for the info we want

However, you were asking for documentation that proved definitively they shouldn't breed if a dog has any type of cataract. Which isn't always the case.
Yes I was, as I thought there may have been some kind of evidence somewhere that this is the case !!!

I've spent years having it drummed in that dogs with it should not be bred from full stop.

I didn't know otherwise as I said before, if it isn't the case please enlighten me, I'm genuinely inerested to know.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't see whay having a genetic (if it is) problem should preclude an animal from breeding, after all they may have this disease but be the only line free from another one. You shouldn't exclude a dog from the breeding program on just one thing. Of course once it's been diagnosed then a considerable amount of care needs to be taken and lines thoroughly researched and of course if the disorder is a simple recessive then both parents will be carriers and all the offspring at best will be carriers.
So certainly I think that blood samples from all these dogs should be submitted to help establish a gene test, that goes without saying, but to just say under no circumstances breed is a tad short sighted.
Becky
As I've just said, I wasnt aware there were any grey areas regarding this, I thought it was black and white, as that is what I have always been told ..........if a dog has it, don't breed, full stop.

Not sure about my friends breed, but in mine, they don't yet have the marker, so dont know if it's a recessive or not, maybe that's the reason it's black and white !!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:12 PM
or maybe that's just the opinion of your opthalmologist rather than a universal view?
Becky
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:23 PM
You and I both know the BRS is not a weekly, or even monthly publication, so even the most eagle eye of us who want to see things, have to wait for the info we want
Oh I know, but since the latest BRS only came out a few days ago, it is about as up-to-date as it gets

Yes I was, as I thought there may have been some kind of evidence somewhere that this is the case !!!

I've spent years having it drummed in that dogs with it should not be bred from full stop.

I didn't know otherwise as I said before, if it isn't the case please enlighten me, I'm genuinely inerested to know.
It isn't the case for all cataracts as not all are hereditary, however for the ones that are - no they shouldn't be used. It really does depend entirely on the breed. In the breed I mentioned earlier (not Mals ) they are prone to two types of HC, one of which IS late onset. However Malamutes are not (well not that studies have indicated thus far anyway).
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
or maybe that's just the opinion of your opthalmologist rather than a universal view?
Becky
No not at all, It's the view of my breed club.

My opthalmologist would rather people didnt just in case though.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh I know, but since the latest BRS only came out a few days ago, it is about as up-to-date as it gets
It isn't the case for all cataracts as not all are hereditary, however for the ones that are - no they shouldn't be used. It really does depend entirely on the breed. In the breed I mentioned earlier (not Mals ) they are prone to two types of HC, one of which IS late onset. However Malamutes are not (well not that studies have indicated thus far anyway).
Right OK, so in breeds where there are two types and they have the genetic marker for just the JHC but not the late onset (as in my original post), and the dog in question was cleared of JHC but not cleared of late onset, in your opinion, would you feel it was ok to breed from this dog ?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:32 PM
No not at all, It's the view of my breed club.
The club state that 'Breeders should not knowingly breed from any stock that has known and proven hereditary diseases' - we are debating whether this particular cataract is hereditary or not.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >