Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i didnt say you blamed them, but the original post i replied to said rescues, and those who rehome from a rescue, are supporting irresponsible breeders.

i dont understand what you second point is meant to be about... i didnt say they did...
I didnt reply to your original post, just the one "I" replied to.

Rescues do unavoidably help irresponsible breeders, especially puppy farmers, by taking all their "finished with" animals. Nobody has said thats wrong, but it does offer them more space to fill so to speak. With rescues in general being full of crossbreeds and mongrels, where are the attacks on these "breeders?" Seems to me pedigree breeders get the flack, whereas in actual fact most of the animals that fill rescues are crossbreeds, but of course, their breeders are untraceable!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Seems to me pedigree breeders get the flack, whereas in actual fact most of the animals that fill rescues are crossbreeds, but of course, their breeders are untraceable!
Seems the same to me Dawn, and one of our breed resuces seems to have more CC's crosses than pedigree CC's.. Infact since mum started showing/breeding the dogs we have transported or took in for them, have ALL been CC crosses.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-06-2010, 05:29 PM
There are plenty of breed rescues that won't touch a crossbreed. Their intake is comprised solely of purebred dogs, sometimes solely KC registered purebred dogs.

Even in general rescue the numbers of purebred dogs are a significant minority or sometimes a majority (as is the current case with the rescue I assist).
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i didnt say you blamed them, but the original post i replied to said rescues, and those who rehome from a rescue, are supporting irresponsible breeders.

i dont understand what you second point is meant to be about... i didnt say they did...
But the real truth is that they are especially by taking in worn out breeding dogs & bitches. They do fall between a rock & a very hard place though.

However when people bang on about everyone stopping breeding(including those who breed responsibly)& get a rescue instead, fail to realise that if it was heeded by all breeders, by the time all the unwanted dogs are rehomed, then there would be not enough good dogs left to breed from, unless of course we go down the route of freezing semen & eggs from good dogs & use IVF at some later date to start breeding again-however that might be difficult as all the rescue bitches would be spayed so there would be no bitches to carry the puppies.

I have no problem with people who prefer to have rescue dogs(as I have myself in the past)but some times no rescue would be suitable(think about sheep dogs, assistanace dogs, police dogs etc)& why should I have to clear up after irresponsible breeders ?????? Should I have to rescue a set number dogs a year if I want to breed a litter is that what you want ?????

I haven't bred a litter since 1985 & I will only breed if the dogs pass all their health tests & are suitable to breed from. None of my dogs have gone into rescue except the one GSD & even then he only stayed there for a few hours until I collected him.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
However when people bang on about everyone stopping breeding(including those who breed responsibly)& get a rescue instead, fail to realise that if it was heeded by all breeders, by the time all the unwanted dogs are rehomed, then there would be not enough good dogs left to breed from
The notion of a breeding moritorium is a non-starter but the above is not accurate.

There are an estimated 100,000 dogs in rescue. The UK 'consumes' half a million new dogs every year. The rescue system embodies about two/two and half months supply.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
There are plenty of breed rescues that won't touch a crossbreed. Their intake is comprised solely of purebred dogs, sometimes solely KC registered purebred dogs.

Even in general rescue the numbers of purebred dogs are a significant minority or sometimes a majority (as is the current case with the rescue I assist).
Thats the whole idea of breed rescue John. The breed clubs usually (at least in our case) do a lot to support the breed welfare and will offer fund raising and donations at events they put on.

What you do find a LOT though, is general welfare NOT willing to pass onto breed rescue, that DOES annoy me.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon

That's because they are breed rescues, if they start to take in xbreeds, they are no longer a breed rescue, they become a " general rescue"

And as those who go to breed rescues to rescue the breed in question, they woudl be left with all the crossbreeds, making it harder for them to re home, and lesson space for other purebreds that need to be founds homes.

People who go to breed rescues go for that breed, not a crossbreed,

A Xbreed will have a much better chance of beign re homed from a general rescue organization,, because those going will not be looking for a specific breed (generally)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I find GSD Rescues will often have GSD crosses - probably because GSDs often pass on their particular traits and may need an owner used to them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I find GSD Rescues will often have GSD crosses - probably because GSDs often pass on their particular traits and may need an owner used to them.
We did. I took many a Lab cross, even got one into the prison service as a drugs dog.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I didnt reply to your original post, just the one "I" replied to.

Rescues do unavoidably help irresponsible breeders, especially puppy farmers, by taking all their "finished with" animals. Nobody has said thats wrong, but it does offer them more space to fill so to speak. With rescues in general being full of crossbreeds and mongrels, where are the attacks on these "breeders?" Seems to me pedigree breeders get the flack, whereas in actual fact most of the animals that fill rescues are crossbreeds, but of course, their breeders are untraceable!
i wasnt talking about my original post.

so what are rescues meant to do? stop taking in any dogs? those irresponsible people will still get rid of the dogs, whether or not rescues are there to do it. it really annoys me that people try to claim rescues are supporting irresponsible breeders. i got a rescue coz i wanted to give a dog a second chance, i dont care what idiots bred him. its done, and i just hope they have the sense to make sure it doesnt happen again, but i will not accept when people say i supported irresponsible 'breeders' coz all i wanted to do was help a dog in need. irresponsible breeders should be stopped, but i dont see how rescues can help in that. people will get rid of dogs any way they can.

i would disagree with most rescues being crossbreeds, maybe in general rescues but look at the number of breed specific rescues.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
But the real truth is that they are especially by taking in worn out breeding dogs & bitches. They do fall between a rock & a very hard place though.

However when people bang on about everyone stopping breeding(including those who breed responsibly)& get a rescue instead, fail to realise that if it was heeded by all breeders, by the time all the unwanted dogs are rehomed, then there would be not enough good dogs left to breed from, unless of course we go down the route of freezing semen & eggs from good dogs & use IVF at some later date to start breeding again-however that might be difficult as all the rescue bitches would be spayed so there would be no bitches to carry the puppies.

I have no problem with people who prefer to have rescue dogs(as I have myself in the past)but some times no rescue would be suitable(think about sheep dogs, assistanace dogs, police dogs etc)& why should I have to clear up after irresponsible breeders ?????? Should I have to rescue a set number dogs a year if I want to breed a litter is that what you want ?????

I haven't bred a litter since 1985 & I will only breed if the dogs pass all their health tests & are suitable to breed from. None of my dogs have gone into rescue except the one GSD & even then he only stayed there for a few hours until I collected him.
i didnt say anything about stopping breeding or saying everyone should get a rescue, thats not what i am talking about. i am talking about how it isnt fair to put the responsibility/blame on rescues when those irresponsible breeders wouldnt take the dogs back whether or not rescues were available to them.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »