View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Great news, Jackie. Hopefully the increased meds will help prevent future fits. Glad she's a lot better now.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know how I missed this but I am really sorry to hear Cassie had another fit.

The positive thing from this is that it was around 3 months since the last ones and just the one. The medication does need to be tweaked periodically and it is finding a balance between fewer and less severe fits and the side effects of the drug, so in some cases the dog may always have fits, just not as often, not as many and not as severe.

I'm so glad to hear that the vet was positive too and he is right, it is much worse for us than the dogs. Sounds as if everything is back on track and Cassie is just fine, so I'm really pleased. Try to get some rest tonight.
xxx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Ah bless her wee soul, as the vet said its often a case of tweaking the medication, i'm sure she'll be stuffing her ball-ee in your face in no time its still a terrifying experience though and a very worrying time x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Thanks to each and everyone of you for your good wishes. The Dogsey vibes must be working because our wee girl is fine.
The vet thinks it's just a case of 'dialling in' to the correct dosage of the medication and because she's only been on 2 a day, the level of medicine is at it's lowest during the night. She's upped the dose to 3 a day and thinks that she'll be absolutely fine with that.
She has said that the fact she's had no fits for the last 3 months since we started the meds, is a good sign. She doesn't believe she's a 'serious' case and reminded us that it's much worse for us than for her. (It's hard to remember that when you're helplessly watching the fit though.)
Anyway, the vet is completely happy with her and Cassie is tired but back to her old self otherwise.
John's ordered me to still go to my Halloween party with the girls so he must feel she's ok
Thanks again to you all.

Lots of Love,
Jackie, John and Cassie xxx
Just as I suspected, Jackie, and I'm delighted to be right, along with just about everyone else on this thread.....

You're right though, having had an epileptic dog I know how ghastly it is to watch.........

Big hugs to you all and here's hoping life returns to normal asap

x0x0x0x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
awww poor cassie - glad shes feeling better now though

(hugs)

enjoy your party!
Thanks Suzexx

Originally Posted by Angel44 View Post
Bless her My heart goes out to both her and you and your family. I had a dog who suffered from fits for 12 years so I know what it's like for you to watch your precious baby thrashing around My boy used to come round and be totally confused, then once he had come round properly he was always so excited to see me, even though I had been sitting with him the entire time bless him. With Tarka we had to be careful not to let him get too excited as we knew it would set off a fit.

But yes, I agree with the others in that it is far worse for you as an owner/ parent than it is for the dog. Best of luck with her xx
Thanks, that's exactly how Cassie comes round, so pleased to see us after the confusion goes.xx

Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
im so sorry for cassie and you both (she is very much loved )its so upsetting ,hope all gos well (havent had chance to read all the posts yet )wishing you well sending our love x
Thanksxx

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Great news, Jackie. Hopefully the increased meds will help prevent future fits. Glad she's a lot better now.
She seems much better now so hopefully the meds will sort it.xx

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I don't know how I missed this but I am really sorry to hear Cassie had another fit.

The positive thing from this is that it was around 3 months since the last ones and just the one. The medication does need to be tweaked periodically and it is finding a balance between fewer and less severe fits and the side effects of the drug, so in some cases the dog may always have fits, just not as often, not as many and not as severe.

I'm so glad to hear that the vet was positive too and he is right, it is much worse for us than the dogs. Sounds as if everything is back on track and Cassie is just fine, so I'm really pleased. Try to get some rest tonight.
xxx
Thanks LS, appreciate your input as always. I know how much experience you have and it always makes me feel better to hear your advice. Our vet is really good with her and always sets our mind at rest. xx

Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
Ah bless her wee soul, as the vet said its often a case of tweaking the medication, i'm sure she'll be stuffing her ball-ee in your face in no time its still a terrifying experience though and a very worrying time x
Thanks Hazel. xx

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Just as I suspected, Jackie, and I'm delighted to be right, along with just about everyone else on this thread.....

You're right though, having had an epileptic dog I know how ghastly it is to watch.........

Big hugs to you all and here's hoping life returns to normal asap

x0x0x0x
Thanks honey. I'm delighted you're all right too It is ghastly to watch but your just have to make sure they're safe through it and put your feelings aside. Life seems quite normal this morning. xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I was hoping I never had to post this again but our poor wee girl has just come out of another fit. The poor thing fell off the bed in the middle of it but she seems to have come out of it now. I was so hoping we got the medication right the first time. John's going to take her back to the vet in the morning. She's had some Bachs Rescue Remedy and is on the kitchen floor where it's cool.
I had just started to sleep through the night without worrying over every little noise and here we are again. I'm so upset for her.
Hi Jackie only just caught up with your events...
It must be very distressing for you, if it is any consolation at all I would say the seizures are far more distressing for you than for Cassie, once one is over she will have forgotten about it, you will not.

Try to look at it this way, the seizures are something that may happen from time to time, try not to dwell on the fact but be more relaxed about it if you can or Cassie may pick up on your distress.
My late sister had seizures (she contracted rheumatic fever at the age of 15 and it damaged her heart valves and lead to seizures) so I know how distressing the mere anticipation of an episode can be, after a while you do come to accept it as part of life..

Big hugs for Cassie..
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jackie only just caught up with your events...
It must be very distressing for you, if it is any consolation at all I would say the seizures are far more distressing for you than for Cassie, once one is over she will have forgotten about it, you will not.

Try to look at it this way, the seizures are something that may happen from time to time, try not to dwell on the fact but be more relaxed about it if you can or Cassie may pick up on your distress.
My late sister had seizures (she contracted rheumatic fever at the age of 15 and it damaged her heart valves and lead to seizures) so I know how distressing the mere anticipation of an episode can be, after a while you do come to accept it as part of life..

Big hugs for Cassie..
Thanks very much Mini, it is a consolation to know that they forget about them after they're over. I think it's just that we were lulled into a false sense of security since she went 3 months without one after the meds were started. I guess as you say, we just have to be prepared that they may happen from time to time. Thanks again. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
So glad to hear things are kind of back to normal this morning Jackie.xxxx I expect she's still a tad tired, and you never know, upping that dose might quieten her down a bit too? I don't know coz I've been lucky enough never to have experienced anything like this. Hope you had a good evening too with the girls and I bet she couldn't wait for you to come back home for a hug either if I know Cassie! xxx Take care, all of you.xxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So glad to hear things are kind of back to normal this morning Jackie.xxxx I expect she's still a tad tired, and you never know, upping that dose might quieten her down a bit too? I don't know coz I've been lucky enough never to have experienced anything like this. Hope you had a good evening too with the girls and I bet she couldn't wait for you to come back home for a hug either if I know Cassie! xxx Take care, all of you.xxxx
Thanks Aitch. She's feeling fine today. Shouted at her dad this morning because he wasn't getting moving quick enough to take her out LOL She's been to the beach and is now lying across John's knee sleeping.
They were both waiting for me when I came in about midnight last night and yes I did get my big hug from Cassie when I came in. We're all fine here and having a peaceful, quiet weekend now. xxxxxJ
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your dog having
a fit,I had a Yorkie that suffered with epilepsy
and she was on tablets for the rest of her life,
they don't cure the problem but keep it under
control,however,my Cindy had 2 fits one after
the other and lasted for 1/2 hr,the first one was
a petit mall,then a grand mall,it is awful to watch,
but the dog does'nt know a thing,and the thing is