View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi there i have a gsd bitch 3 years old she was a chewer and my breeder suggested a crate when i went out, i thought it cruel in the begining but she slept in it when we where at home (door opened) We bought a crate big enough for a great dane as i didnt like the fact of her being confined. i used it for about a year, only left her in it for max of 3 hrs and only after a good run, she is perfect now never chewed anything, we give her the run of the house when out. Good Luck hard decision either way
gsdfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Forgot to say pity you didnt live near me i still have it in shed
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I've just been at pets at home today and viewed the biggest crate they had,69.99 the price was,was expecting it to be 100.

Taking her up tomorrow to see if she will go in lol,should be fun.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by flow-wolf View Post
I've just been at pets at home today and viewed the biggest crate they had,69.99 the price was,was expecting it to be 100.

Taking her up tomorrow to see if she will go in lol,should be fun.
Wow, that sounds very reasonable. I hope it all goes ok.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by flow-wolf View Post
Mine has ate my bras,socks,boxer shorts,knickers,fetish for socks,dont know why she does this,shredded our new duvet set,ate my daughters rug,nearly killed the Xmas tree,and so on.
One day I got home and found chunks of my sofa spread across my living room, the new cheque book that had come through the post looked like it had gone through a shredder and most of his toys in pieces. And to top it off my pet rats had made nests out of a sweater of mine Rupe had brought downstairs to keep him company while I was out then left near their cage
I'd only been to the doctors!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Flow-Wolf,
I'm so glad you have gone down the 'crate' route. I really really hate the idea of muzzling and I am still upset by the crazy antics of someone on a differnt chat forum where a muzzle was involved.

There might be a place for a muzzle under strict criteria, e.g. Police, and note well post 7 which probably is the exception that proves the rule.

Even people who love dogs sometimes forget that when you go out youngish dogs have absolutely no way of knowing when you'll return.

It's been mentioned that yours (Who looks a real beauty in your pic) is a breed that especially likes company so she'll likely be frustrated when you're not there.

Years ago we had to leave our dog a couple of hours in the morning and again in the afternoon and she chewed things. 20 years on I'm still using screwdrivers with her teeth marks on them

When they get older the 'routine' of you always returning gets through to them which it did with our beloved Ria. and she stopped.

I've never used a crate but I sense from the replies on this thread that people have found them useful and if they are the right size they are not cruel, I think we have to believe them, thankfully everyone is against muzzling indoors alone which seems to be very dangerous, except in exceptional circumstances.

I hope you find a solution, and don't have to resort to muzzling. Very best wishes.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5