View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 04:13 PM
I have no doubts that global warming/climate change is real and is happening.

Unfortunately the Govt haven't done enough in the past to combat this, and now seem to feel the need to use "shock" tactics to make people change.

I know people who have all the recycling bins etc and don't use them because they "can't be bothered", people who buy food that has travelled thousands of miles, even though its not in season here, who fly all over the place and drive a £120k 4x4 that has never seen a muddy field, and will never be driven anywhere other than the school run.

Until things like recycling, renewable energy etc are the norm (as they getting to be in other European countries) the UK will dither around taxing 4x4's and worrying about climate change without doing something big about it
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Not my usual subject but here goes.

I can understand that we're contributing to the demise of our world, and that we need, each of us, to be aware of how we're impacting our environment. I also understand, and accept, that there will be incentives and disincentives for doing things that are seen to be good or bad for the environment. Not a problem with me.

What I dislike is the way the government is using the environment as a smoke screen (groan!) for new revenue streams.

All funds from disincentives should be ringfenced. They should contribute to that particular problem. But they won't be.

And, instead of trying to find new ways to raise funds through taxes, central government should be looking to reduce the waste of money that is endemic in the public sector. If the private sector operated to the same levels of efficiency we - as UK plc - would be bottom of the league in economic terms ref GDP and our sustainability.

Its a bit off-topic I know, but this really annoys me.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
So now all you need to do is provide the viable alternatives for modern society then. You know, those who have children to take to school, those who have to fly here, there, and everywhere, those who have to travel to work, those who, like the rest of us, shop at the supermarket and get force-fed all the packaging that I'm quite sure most of us can do without, and would, in some cases, happily see the back of. (There is, after all, only so much fun to be had from trying to wrestle your way into yet another cellophane wrapper.)

This is another major factor -- the sheer lack of viable and practical, and I stress both words, alternatives.

I know, we could all shop at our local greengrocer. Whoops, my mistake, the large super-market chains knocked them out of business long ago. At least we can travel about by train. Oh, whoops again, they are late, filthy, over-crowded, and absurdly remote in some areas.

You want me to dump my rubbish in a green-topped bin for you, so that it can be collected on the ever-diminishing collection times? I can do that, no worries. Where would you have me dump the remaining bits, which many people in "green" areas are also now finding to be a real issue. On the street? No? Well, that's exactly what is happening in some boroughs.

A classic example was given to me by a friend yesterday. He sent his photos in to be developed. Now he's a real green guy, and really does try to do his bit. The photos, somehow managed to do a round a trip to flippn' Hong-Kong before coming back into his hands! The point? The point being that yes, maybe something needs to be done, but trying to tackle it from the bottom upwards is never, and I repeat, never, going to work. Industry and commerce HAS to be the first target. Why isn't it? Because they have weight, the man on the street, despite the misconceptions to the contrary, no longer does have.

You will have, I feel almost certain, civil revolts due to the ever-growing pressure being put on people to live in impractical ways! People, and indeed society, can only bend so far, realistically. Labour's absolutely horrific desire to want to change almost everything at once will have dire consequences, of that I am also sure. To quote Scottie, that infamous engineer of our time, "She cannay take much more of this, Cap'n."
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Deep Sh*t OMG good job I've got big wheels on my 4x4 then
Nice one!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Nice one!
Sorry but I couldn't resist
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I know, we could all shop at our local greengrocer. Whoops, my mistake, the large super-market chains knocked them out of business long ago. At least we can travel about by train. Oh, whoops again, they are late, filthy, over-crowded, and absurdly remote in some areas.
We are lucky enough to have a fantastic greengrocer, butcher etc in walking distance (nearest Tesco - 20miles away) but I know that compared to the prices of Tesco, Asda etc, they are quite expensive. That's why a lot of local families will make the hour's drive (we live in the sticks) to Tesco to stock up on cheap food
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
We are lucky enough to have a fantastic greengrocer, butcher etc in walking distance (nearest Tesco - 20miles away) but I know that compared to the prices of Tesco, Asda etc, they are quite expensive. That's why a lot of local families will make the hour's drive (we live in the sticks) to Tesco to stock up on cheap food
I think you've pretty much described the issue that most people who are lucky enough to still have easy access to a more local 'shop' have. It's not really that the grocer is even expensive. It's that the supermarkets are so cheap. (Relatively speaking.)

The larger chains have the purchasing power to drive their prices down at source. Poor ol' Mister Jones at Acme Apples and Oranges doesn't have that same luxury. Whichever way you look at it, it mostly points to the industry and large commerce, in order to make large strides in this area.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5