Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by pod
[COLOR="seagreen"
"Mech and a few other scientists have done up to date studies for years on wild wolves and have seen hungry wolves, alphas, allow their young to eat first in times of extreme hardship - absolutely because of their genes but because they want their genes to continue with their pups (as is supposed) and not to stop with them. The instinct appears to be to keep the pups alive" [/COLOR]

There could be many reasons for the manifestation of different behaviours but a pack that adopted the strategy of allowing adults to die before pups would be doomed to failure and the genes that control this would die out. Pups simply wouldn’t survive without their parents even if there was an immediate change and food became available. In times of hardship, the strategy of survival is to favour the fittest (the alpha pair) to live as these are the most likely to see through the hard times.

-)
I understand what you are saying but I would not argue with scientists and ethologists who have been out there in the field studying these genuine packs for many years

They probably know more than me after all! I am sure there are reasons for what they observed, pups may be looked after by not just the alpha pair etc etc. perhaps the pups depending on their development stage can only eat meat that is not as tough as those eaten by adults so are allowed access to the carcass first to get to it, as you say there could be many reasons and they would not necessarily mean the adults would die
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by pod[COLOR="seagreen"
“Many people, mostly pet owners, love the idea of pack theory –“ [/COLOR]

I do think this does an injustice to many behaviourist, trainers and owners who embrace all methods of training, including pack theory.

)
Does it? I don't think so, and it's my opinion. Owners do love the idea of pack theory, they can relate to it and the idea of the "wolf in the dog" appeals; it did to me.

I know a lot of trainers and behaviourists and none of them now (oh bar one) follows pack theory or believe dogs want to be "alpha" and take over the pack (which is what original pack theory was about at the end of the day).
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by pod[COLOR="seagreen"
"20 years ago I believed dogs should not eat before us or go on our beds because an alpha would not allow that - it never even occurred to me to question what others "knew" for sure - now i know that not to be true and have seen some sad things occur because people have blamed pretty much all behaviour and training problems on the dog wanting to be alpha."[/COLOR]

People will always make mistakes and sad things will occur but to blame this on the training method rather than the trainer may be short sighted. )
Ah, but you see these sad things did occur as a direct result of people (owners or trainers) following pack theory and believing their dogs were dominant or trying to take over. Far from being short sighted it's a case of having open eyes and seeing what has happened over the years and acknowledging it.

I myself used to try to alpha roll one of my dogs as it was told to me it would prevent it becoming pack leader. How stupid was that?! and yet I knew no different at that time because pack theory was what it was all about.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by podSuccessful behaviourist and trainers that I know of use various methods and are flexible in their approach to training methods.

And I'll pinch a quote from another thread - [COLOR="DarkOrange"
“dont assume that the same training method will work on all dogs !” [/COLOR](Thank you Brundog)
Of course! That should go without saying to anyone who trains dogs and their owners. But my point is that one can be flexible and get good results and use different methods (as long as they are humane) without ever having to use pack theory
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
I was adding some frivolity into the discussion. :
Ooh, you frivolous thing, you!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover
You seem to place more faith in people than I do. When I see dynamic new theories arise, I'm firmly waiting for the author's next book, or the next celebrity-training tv programme where they will feature their startling new methods and concepts. I am always cautious of blanket statements where the author clearly just can't possibly know. With respect, there is no way you can have polled all the dog trainers and behaviourists and therefore, you can't possibly know that "mostly the successful people....". And even if you could, you have to be judging success on what you consider to be success, which may not be the same as anyone else here. If you mean, of those you are aware of, then say so, but that isn't what you are saying here and it gives a false matter of fact statement, where, in actual fact, there just isn't one.

]
I think though one has to look at the history of dog training and behaviour and then it becomes clearer as to who is who and what theory is informative or useless and why. Old theories are not necesssarily wrong, but if they have been discarded we have to ask ourselves "why" and learn from that perhaps.

The Uk is quite small and if you belong to one of the training organisations, go to workshops and seminars and discuss training on the main forums (some private) it is simple to follow what successful trainers and behaviourists are doing and how they are doing it. There are trainers who are not involved with any organisatoin and those I don't know as much about, but do know they vary enormously from harsh methods to pack theory to very modern practice, they are a variant.

The successful people i refer to are those I know who are successful in what they do (depending on various X factors such as willingness of the client to follow the programme etc!) and they do not follow pack theory (which is the point i was making).
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I'll say again, that to completely dispense with wolf-pack theory seems, to me at least, just as restrictive as accepting it fully and leaving no room for any other theory.

Where are you prepared to leave it? Are you happy to say that we can forget wolves completely as they're simply not relevant to the fluffy domestic dog? Or do you want to pick out the bits that fit with your own beliefs and ignore the rest?

.................Pushing aside my already stated view on crates and dogs, my point being that if you really want to disepense with the wolf behaviour or place it in an entirely different category to dog behaviour, then you're going to have to make some pretty tough decisions at some point.

The bottom line theory that I think all trainers can agree with is that dogs repeat that which rewards them. You really don't need any more theory than that to get a healthy and well-adjusted dog. Why it works, as interesting a subject as it is, seems largely immaterial.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
To dispense with wolf pack theory in relation to living with our own dogs - thing is, many of us now already have, and have done for years I believe the idea is to have a well mannered, well trained dog, who is also free enough to be spirited; none of that requires following pack theory.

In "Dogs" by the Coppingers, they point out some interesting facts about village dogs of areas such as Pemba. These it is argued, are more the sort of models we should be looking at if we need to at all, because it is suggested that perhaps wolves evolved and by evolution had less flight distance etc and less fear over time by attaching themselvse to human camps and their dumps. It's an interesting view and it may be that looking at the behaviour of these dogs could teach us a lot. The dogs of Pemba don't seem to form a pack but a family group with no actual leaders.

I do think the Lassie view did dogs a lot of harm -dogs are not fluffy (except some like bichons ) and are simply hard wired to do some things we don't like. I think it's important to learn as much as we can in whatever way we need to, who knows where canine behaviour study may take us in the future?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
[
And nor must it mean that it does not. What it does do however, is create a potentially dangerous situation, regardless of reason. I'm thirty-six and have the hearing to recognise the sound of a dog charging behind me, as well as the physical speed and mental presence to move out of the way. ]
I believe this was your reply to Shadowboxer but, just wanted to say that as you know, it doesn't take pack leadership to prevent a dog doing this, manners etc are also a requirement of good dog training

I can't agree at all that allowing dogs on furniture as SB mentions as being OK can create a potentially dangerous situation? How so? I take your point re the charging around but that's training needed - re the dogs getting on furniture etc, eating first, that's truly not creating a dangerous situation.

The problem may be that occasionally the odd dog may become possessive and do a spot of guarding but that is solved by training and happens far less than often.

Dog dominance - is the dog dominant because it rushes past? Or is it just untrained?

Do we really believe dogs are trying to be "dominant" over us? Do we understand exactly what dominant means - mostly in wild animals it is ultimately related to mating rights after all!

A puppy may rush past, a young adolescent, a mature untrained dog, an old dog, but does that make them dominant or just excited/aroused/whatever? and ultimately, untrained?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
I believe this was your reply to Shadowboxer but, just wanted to say that as you know, it doesn't take pack leadership to prevent a dog doing this, manners etc are also a requirement of good dog training

I can't agree at all that allowing dogs on furniture as SB mentions as being OK can create a potentially dangerous situation? How so? I take your point re the charging around but that's training needed - re the dogs getting on furniture etc, eating first, that's truly not creating a dangerous situation.

The problem may be that occasionally the odd dog may become possessive and do a spot of guarding but that is solved by training and happens far less than often.

Dog dominance - is the dog dominant because it rushes past? Or is it just untrained?

Do we really believe dogs are trying to be "dominant" over us? Do we understand exactly what dominant means - mostly in wild animals it is ultimately related to mating rights after all!

A puppy may rush past, a young adolescent, a mature untrained dog, an old dog, but does that make them dominant or just excited/aroused/whatever? and ultimately, untrained?
Fantastic post...that's it exactly.
Wys I agree...again!

My 6 year old 'gets' this. Some dogs (and all pups!) have no 'manners', that's what we need to teach them...good manners. It may be good manners for a persons dog to sit on the sofa or sleep on the bed ( mine have done both those things in the past, but when our son was born, we decided that was no longer 'good manners' in our house , so it was stopped),it's fine they do those things. It's good manners for my dogs to sit and wait as I put their food on the floor as I don't want them pushing the bowl out of my hand enthusiastically. It's good manners for them not to push me out of the way when we go out.
It is all about manners, I don't see it as me reinforcing the pack leader, I don't think they are looking out for a chance to 'dominate' me, I really don't.If they were, they'd have done it a long time ago!
Dogs are opportunists and it's in their best interests to have good manners, I give them their tea after all!!!!

Anyway, I don't have long, just think this post summed it up. Fantastic!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I can't agree at all that allowing dogs on furniture as SB mentions as being OK can create a potentially dangerous situation? How so?
Methinks that either I didn't state clearly enough, or you decided to take it in the wrong context in order to support your case. However, I was not suggesting, for a second, that sitting on the sofa was dangerous, nor indeed eating first was. I quite specifically (in my view at least) wrote about the stairs when referencing the danger element, didn't I? The knives are getting a little sharper around here, I feel.

Whilst here you were discussing eating your dogs food...you are still eating, she is watching therefore, I see it as begging. I think there are other, more appropriate times to teach a 'look' command.
And if that works for both you and your dog, that has to be a great thing. I'm not sure that either of us are qualified to say what is more or less "appropriate" as you put it however. Appropriate is very contextual.

I get the impression that you believe I look at a single behaviour exhibited by a dog (my dog in particular) and make a judgement call from that. If so, you are, I have to say, completely incorrect. I live with my dog twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, and am therefore able to take its full behaviour patterns into account, along with her history, given directly from the past owner, who we have formed a good friendship with and remain in contact with, and shape an entire context. Please don't forget that when judging my methods or practises.

Owners do love the idea of pack theory, they can relate to it and the idea of the "wolf in the dog" appeals; it did to me.
I'm uncomfortable with this line. It seems that you are suggesting that because you have chosen to accept another theory, then those who haven't have somehow not seen the light that you have, and that they must, therefore, be akin to second-class dog owners, with ancient belief systems. I simply don't accept that at all. It's human nature too, to believe what you personally believe is the right thing, and I think we are seeing some of that behaviour exhibited here to be honest.

Aside from that, let' say that you are absolutely correct, and that dogs and wolves and the entire pack theory is nonsense. What does it matter? Really? Do you believe it somehow harmful to the dog or the owner to believe it? Do you feel that to continue it somehow discredits those who believe otherwise? I accept that you don't accept it, going by past posts, and I'm more than comfortable with that. As I stated earlier, the more theories and methods there are, the better for all as far as I'm concerned. However, I am acutely curious as to what negative effect you think it has. I would also still like to hear where you draw the line, and at what point are you willing to seperate the dog from the wolf. (See earlier crate-training analogy.)
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >