Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jakeandwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi all.
Thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts since I last posted.
The good news is that Jake is still running around in the garden, eating and acting normally apart from the weird but small changes in his behaviour and the coughing mentioned previously.

I have noticed he is still licking his paw a lot, the one on the leg he was limping / not walking on a few weeks ago, and the particular toe he is licking is quite dark with an even darker vein-like stripe right down the middle of it, lengthways. Dont know if this is relevant but thought I'd mention it.

Meantime we're desperately saving up to get him a second opinion from a completely different surgery.

I did phone several organisations but there were only able to offer me the same advice as my vet - e.g. watch him closely and take him to the vet if there's any sudden/worrying change in health and/or behaviour. I HATE playing this waiting game whilst he could be getting worse

Roll on pay day
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi Woody I thought the poorly foot had healed up..
Are you sure the dark toe is a 'new thing' and not something that went unnoticed before this episode occurred? Does this toe feel the same temperature as the other toes, if it is infected in any way it will feel hot ? Try closing your eyes and feeling one toe at a time to see if you can distinguish any difference..
Has the facial expression reverted to normal? When do you get the blood test results?
jakeandwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Mini

I'll have a good feel of his toes when he wakes up (he's crated at the moment after a kick about with a football in the garden - his favourite passtime )

I posted about the blood test results we got them on saturday and the vet said the test revealed nothing out of the ordinary.

You're right, he did completely stop limping three days after the rimadyl and amoxycare LA injections, and he seemed right as rain for a few days, then 4 days later I noticed his face change. He is still unfortunately looking exactly the same in that respect, his face is no better but thankfully no worse either.
He's been licking that foot quite alot for the last few days (but not limping), and today in the garden he suddenly yelped, limped for a few seconds and then carried on, which suggests he is still feeling discomfort there. On last inspection, the only signs of anything aggrevating that foot was a tiny tiny cut which had healed over already. Incidently the cut is right next to the discoloured toe. It really does look like nothing but perhaps there's a nasty infection going on under the skin/in the nail.
I'll definately have a good look when he wakes up and I'll report back here once I'm done.
Glad the weather has cooled off over the last couple of days, having a fur coat can't be pleasant on sunny days!

jakeandwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone!
Sorry I haven't kept this post updated: stupid internet provider has been on the blink big time!

Jake is still his old self (apart from the facial expression enigma) and thank God he still seems healthy, LOVES playing in the garden kicking a football about, LOVES his food, no vomitting or squits! Gotta be thankful for that! No sign of his brother having anything wrong with him either

Jake has an appointment on 7th July to get the hypothyroid blood test done. I'm not sure if that'll go ahead once the vet has given him the once-over, but we'll wait and see. Maybe we'll see a different vet who has a whole new outlook on the possibilities?!

Fingers crossed it'll disappear overnight and we'll forget all about it lol (preferably before we face another vets bill )

I'm not sure if I am imagining it, but his face does seem ever so slightly better today
I'll ask Phill to take a look at him when he gets home from work.

Phill and I are generally much much happier and relaxed about the whole thing, particularly as Jake has not showed any aggression since I last mentioned it. Must have got out of his crate the wrong side that day lol

He seems very happy and is certainly very lively

I'll still keep ya'll posted, promise
Meg
Supervisor

29-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Jake is there any news on Woody ? Many here are most concerned ..
jakeandwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi there,
Now you really have confused me...

I'm Ali, Jake is the lab with the mysterious permanent facial expression, and Woody is his brother (who's 100% healthy)

Meg
Supervisor

29-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi Ali oh dear ..I called you Woody before and you didn't correct me I didn't realise you had two dogs !

Thank you for the update, I would say that fact that Jake seems well and things have not got any worse is a good sign

I would still get the thyroid test done if possible if only to eliminate another cause ...that would then leave one option being our original thoughts of allergy maybe to a bite or sting affecting nerves in the face.

I am really pleased to hear the little chap is ok I have thought about him a lot and what might be the cause of his problem ...
jakeandwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Hehe, I guess we're both speed readers then

You're right though, it would be best to check out the hypothyroid possibility so it's out of the way or confirmed.
What ever will be will be
jakeandwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi all.
Just to let you know, Jake had blood taken today to test for hypothyroidism (had to change the appt to today instead of yesterday), and they said we should have the results tomorrow morning so fingers crossed
I'll post as soon as we get the results
Meg
Supervisor

08-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by jakeandwoody
Hi all.
Just to let you know, Jake had blood taken today to test for hypothyroidism (had to change the appt to today instead of yesterday), and they said we should have the results tomorrow morning so fingers crossed
I'll post as soon as we get the results
Hi Ali thank you, I will be interested to know the result .
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >