View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I find it interesting that the mid-line is common practice now. Used to be a side incision. Anyone know why the mid-line is now preferred? Would have thought there was more risk of wound break-down due to gut pressure?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 08:20 AM
dunno SB i did wonder myself
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Think it was found that there was more of a problem with damage to the waterworks, back in the 60's some vets did it one way and some the other now nearly all use the line between the muscles, that is also another factor there is less muscle to cut through at the mid line, and healing should be quicker it is a bigger scar but far less noticeable and a larger area can be shaved easily.

Did you know that there are two different ways to do a castration too, I did not till my vet told me a short while ago, but then I have only have the experience of castrating two of my dogs but sadly a good deal more of my bitches have had to be spayed.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I`ve got 6 girls B/L, 4 are speyed the other 2 not B/L

None have ever showed aggression either before or after the spey, to other dogs or between themselves & they all live together with males as well

No incontinece probs either, but 1 has had a coat change, its gone quite wavy along the top. She`s the only 1 with a weight prob as well but she had that before she was speyed. I`ve found it a lot easier to manage with her raw diet tho & her weight is stable The others don`t have a weight prob at all. And you can`t see the scars

On the food intake for older dogs, the is now a school of thought that older dogs do need more high quality protein foods as their immune system needs more help as it gets older, but you`ve a long way to go for that, Luna`s still young babe yet
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Yay news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just called a second vet (who I actually trust more than the other) and they do instalments.. I can pay over about 4 months.. Its about £100 per month.. I can do that..

I'm calling her back in an hour to get an appointment (the books were in with one of the other vets, who had been on the phone duty this morning)

Well Luna loves her walks and playtimes so I'm sure that will continue Well I hope so But we start agility up again in february so that should help a bit there aswell

Ooh I'm getting all happy now... To have it solved... Not the idea of having my babe cut up...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell

Did you know that there are two different ways to do a castration too, I did not till my vet told me a short while ago, but then I have only have the experience of castrating two of my dogs but sadly a good deal more of my bitches have had to be spayed.
Until I had this boy done I thought that all castrations were carried out via incision in the scrotum. Now I know differently. Can't say I'm a fan of the abdominal method - but maybe that is just my bad experience talking
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi J
Sorry I'm late coming in on this one.
I know it's all a matter of opinion but I would never not spay a bitch. All my girls have been done and it just makes life easier all round. I would also add that all the family bitches who were unspayed ended up with pyometra, which means the same operation, as an emergency, when they are elderly and unwell................I'd go for it early rather than late, and enjoy all the extra freedoms.
With Luns's medical history I think you have little choice - her quality of life (and yours, and Olivers!) will be sooooo much better.
I'll post a pic of Dinah the day after her op (less than 24 hours). Internal stitches, so nothing for her to try to pull out and no need for her to wear a lampshade. She never bothered about her tummy at all. She is still just as sweet, good with other dogs of all sizes and her coat gleams like silk.

I'm so glad you have found a vet to help!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01082.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1774  
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi H

Thank you very much

Ooh that looks great for under 24 hours, doesnt it?

And I think you are right.. I think the best thing for all of us is this...

Just called the vet.. Have an appointment on the 6. january 2006. She's to be at the vet's at 9 am
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 10:03 AM
£400 to spay a bitch?
Dawn.
Carole
Supervisor

28-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I find it interesting that the mid-line is common practice now. Used to be a side incision. Anyone know why the mid-line is now preferred? Would have thought there was more risk of wound break-down due to gut pressure?
Star had her wound on her flank when she got done. It was less than 2 inches in size with no outer stitches.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >