View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2005, 06:06 PM
First we probably would not if the food was well produced and fresh, but dogs guts are designed to cope with fresh kill and carrion, they eat all sorts of unmentionable stuff and built up immunity to the common bugs, we on the other hand use chemicals to make sure we do come into contact with the common bugs, we do not build up immunity and there for fall prey to anything that is going around.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks
I think dogs have the right idea
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

20-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi, dogs stomach is very acidic & contains hydrochloric acid, that just about kills off any bugs digestion is very quick, 4hrs or so, nothing hangs around
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Hi, dogs stomach is very acidic & contains hydrochloric acid, that just about kills off any bugs digestion is very quick, 4hrs or so, nothing hangs around
So does the human stomach but digestion takes a lot longer.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Yes, dogs stomachs are far more acidic than humans (thats how they can so easily digest bone) - I can't remember the exact ratio but its something like 10 times the acidy of ours and so they can deal with things like salmonella etc more easily than us.

So, Happy Christmas everyone - remember to cook the turkey thoroughly for human consumption and just throw it raw for the dogs, lol. Happy Xmas!
tarasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I watched a documentary a while ago about arctic foxes,during the summer when prey is in abundance any excess is buried, this is the foxes winter store,if they had to wait around for it to defrost they wood starve.
My dogs get pork and lamb chops straight from the freezer with no probs.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
I cant do with raw, I was once a vegetarian only for the religion of animal welfare. My NI loves raw, my mongrel prefers tinned.
I went to help my Northern Inuit with her hunger for raw and went to the meat wholesaler.... well I was distraught, pigs hung upside down, cows almost whole. I felt sick. Tried to ignore it all and told them to put the biz in car without me seeing???? Well....... got home and what was i to do. I left the bag on the floor for pups & mum to help themselves. Well I had a party of friends round and what did mum do??? Brought out a big pigs head for us all to see. The more we screamed the more excided she gotand tossed it about. We all ended up on the roof of the dining room. May toss a couple of carrots in next time!!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 10:31 PM
My pup is fed raw & today has had organic mince(defrosted as i remembered to take it out the freezer) & organic chicken wings frozen as they last longer if still frozen . He has super muscle tone & bags of energy. He also loves his Organic Yoghurt which he would eat by the pint carton if he could

He also has some fresh never frozen organic pigs trotters & for Xmas had frozen organic turkey pieces lol the turkey was so big it took ages for him to eat the legs etc

My Cavaliers don't do raw & never have sometimes JD will ask for raw mince & he gets it otherwise they have cooked organic chicken meat & organic kibble

The Rescue GSD will eat anything(& everything s has raw organic mince & Organic kibble as she can have bouts of GSD stomach upset with chicken pieces & similar probably because she almost swallows them whole(was a cruelty case)
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5