Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
...[snip]...This year we used 'Anxiety' someone told me about though gratefull I don't think it had any effect on him at all but I guess we have to try these things out. I will be looking for something else next year any ideas gratefully accepted.
The following do not mention help for noise-frightened dogs but are very good calming pills.

Complete Calm

Anxiety Free

I get the first one to calm Pereg when she gets too over-excited. I do have a bottle of the Anxiety Free and have tried them but the Complete Calm are better for her as I only need give her one occasionally.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
1 X SBT was fine
1 XSBT was shaking and panting
2 X Lakelands fine
1 X wire fox terrier fine
1 Lakeland with 3 day old pups pacing around the whelping box. I had to put the pups in a basket and get on the bed with mother and pups. Pups were fine but I feared she might tread on them.

I have a 4 ft stick standing upright in my front garden, the remains of a rocket
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
We've had loads going off all week. Thankfully the terriers don't mind them at all and neither does the puppy it seems. Phew! Hugs and comfort to you and yours out there if you're having any difficulties.
x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2012, 02:02 PM
All of mine have been completely fine with them, Syd likes to bark at the really loud ones but I have no problem with that. The pup has been great, I opened the back door to let them out the other night just as a massive one exploded overhead and she just ran out as normal completely oblivious to it all.
It must be awful for dogs who are scared though because they definitely seem to get louder and louder year by year.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 02:09 PM
We get fireworks at any excuse here so my resident dogs get used to them and don`t react. I made the new collie a little den from duvets and pillows which deaden the sound and he`s gone from shaking and salivating on Day One to lying with his nose outside the duvet house in case he misses anything on Day Three.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
This year one of my dogs has become completely stressed out. On Saturday night he just paced and panted and got in a state and couldn't calm down even after bed time when it went quiet.
In the end he had a seizure for the first time ever. The Animal did a full screen on him and has found no cause and have concluded that it was stress induce from the fireworks. They prescribed sedatives and anti seizure drugs for him to take until the fireworks subside.

To think that the fireworks have let to a seizure in an otherwise very fit and happy dog is terrible.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by redowl View Post
This year one of my dogs has become completely stressed out. On Saturday night he just paced and panted and got in a state and couldn't calm down even after bed time when it went quiet.
In the end he had a seizure for the first time ever. The Animal did a full screen on him and has found no cause and have concluded that it was stress induce from the fireworks. They prescribed sedatives and anti seizure drugs for him to take until the fireworks subside.

To think that the fireworks have let to a seizure in an otherwise very fit and happy dog is terrible.
Omg that's terrible

How old is your dog? I wish the sale of these awful things were banned to the public, they are nothing more than ghastly pollutants and a health hazard for both humans and animals alike.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Omg that's terrible

How old is your dog? I wish the sale of these awful things were banned to the public, they are nothing more than ghastly pollutants and a health hazard for both humans and animals alike.
He is 6 years old and like I said very fit an healthy. It was awful, he got himself in such a state and was pacing and panting for hours. We went to bed late and it was quiet but he still didn't 'switch off'. At 5am we were awoken by him vomiting, he then jumped on the bed, looked strange and then fell backwards off the bed and thumped onto the floor and went rigid with an arched back then he started fitting. It was a massive shock. All tests have come back from the Animal Hospital as normal and they said it was almost certainly stressed induced from the fireworks.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by redowl View Post
He is 6 years old and like I said very fit an healthy. It was awful, he got himself in such a state and was pacing and panting for hours. We went to bed late and it was quiet but he still didn't 'switch off'. At 5am we were awoken by him vomiting, he then jumped on the bed, looked strange and then fell backwards off the bed and thumped onto the floor and went rigid with an arched back then he started fitting. It was a massive shock. All tests have come back from the Animal Hospital as normal and they said it was almost certainly stressed induced from the fireworks.
This is so sad, i'm so sorry to hear this happened all because of fireworks
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Gosh that is terrible, poor lad. My dog is epileptic - I can imagine how worrying all this has been for you. How is he now?
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >