View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Kerribaby,you are upfront and honest and realistic. That can only be a good thing.
Alys
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by alys View Post
Kerribaby,you are upfront and honest and realistic. That can only be a good thing.
Alys
Thank you
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Perhaps you should have been more honest about why you started this thread?
Feeding dogs a veggie diet is a totaly different thing than if we are aware of the cruelty in intensive farming
and the answer to that is yes I am aware
when I can afford things I try and source them as ethically as I can
But at the same time me and my dogs stopping eating meat will not do a thing to help how these animals are farmed - changing legislation and supporting the farmers who do treat their animals well is the only way changes will happen
I understand why people choose to be veggie
If you must then feed your dogs a veggie diet - I dont agree with that, but its up to you

Start a thread about cruelty in meat farming if you wish - but this thread is about dogs and a veggie diet - and you had your answers, you can, its not easy and not all that good for the dog
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 11:22 AM
BenMcfuzzylugs,I asked about feeding a veggie diet,I was told it.is possible but difficult. I was then enlightened by many other views on a lot of other stuff. I reserve the right to reply,on my thread,I hope that alright with you ? If you feel you are helpless to change things,that is fine. If you cannot see by feeding low welfare food,you are perpetuating it,that fine too. Why would anyone want to feed a veggie diet if there weren't welfare issues,just so they can have to justify their stance on factory farming? I have said,no conspiracy theories or hidden agenda . The fact that people try to be ethical shows me there must be unethical by default.
My thread has been hijacked by many,perhaps they should start a new one? I have no problem with anyone saying anything but I then will reply.
I genuinely am surprised at how contentious this matter has been,I thought I would be preaching to the converted.
Alys
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 11:32 AM
You dont know whether I do or do not feed low wellfare food, I didnt say I felt helpless to change things, I just said me feeding my dogs no meat would do nothing to change things - there are better ways

People have plenty of reasons to feed a veggie diet - wellfare is just one reason

I didnt say you couldnt reply on your own thread, just that it seems you had a hidden agenda, your later posts suggest that you think people who feed their dogs meat do not care about farm animals - and that is a big jump
Or that we are not aware of what some farm animals suffer - again it is a big assumption

What is this thread about? if you think you should be preaching to the converted about feeding dogs an inappropriate less healthy diet then no thats pretty unlikely

animal lovers dont have to be veggies by default - that is some peoples choice, not others
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-06-2012, 11:36 AM
If your point is not really about feeding a dog [or cat] on a vegetarian diet, but trying to drag in your feelings about factory farming, then I respectfully suggest that it is you who need to start a new thread, not tell others who you thing hav hijacked your thread to start one of their own.

Yes you started this thread, but you do not really own it, Dogsey does, therefore you should not expect us to all roll over and say yes yes yes, of course you are right, and of course we are bad to feed our animals on unethical products.

What would you say to a mother on a very limited income with three or more very hungry children to feed?

What would you have that mother say to them?

No no children, you cannot eat this that or the other because it is not organic and it does not come from ethically sources animals.

If you thought you were "preaching to the converted" - who do you consider are "the converted? Sorry chucks, but this is a forum for people who have dogs and other pets.

Not a forum to be preached to by someone who has, I think, a hidden agenda by starting an innocuous thread and then getting all upset because "the converted" do not all agree with you.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2012, 12:10 PM
'Preaching' about anything is only going to annoy people. And hinting that those that don't feed entirely ethical food don't love animals is only going to antagonise people, not attract them to your cause.

As I pointed out in my thread; I would suggest you need to offer realistic alternatives to people instead of just condeming them for the way they feed.

If you really are passionate about this then perhaps you should research ethical feeding options that you can suggest to people. I assure you this would be far more effective.

For example; when people tell me there's no way they could afford to feed free range food to their family I don't tell them they are wrong for supporting intensive farming as that would only antagonise. I have however suggested that maybe people would like to consider feeding Quorn products as they are much better quality than they used to be and they are much healthier than meat products.

If someone on a rat forum comes on and says they are wanting to buy a certain cage that I know is totally unsuitable I don't tell them they obviously don't care about their rats I suggest similar priced alternatives - this achieves a lot more than blanket condemnation.
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Ye gods, I surrender,you feed what you want,stifle debate and it will all be fine. Dogsey owns what? Preaching to the converted is a phrase,not to be taken literally. Don't read it,quite simples! If you really think I started this in order to change the world,you are delusional . I have been nothing but polite and people are making ridiculous assumptions and comments..
I would tell the mother to buy fruit and veg etc. Please don't insult peoples intelligence,no money doesn't mean no brain.
Alys
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by alys View Post
Alys

How interesting that a quality you admire in others appears to be singularly absent in yourself!

Please do not insult people's intelligence by an "under the radar" assualt.

Perhaps you would benefit on attending a course to improve your communication skills in this area if you want to convert more to your way of thinking?

Luckily, this gap in the market has been identified by others, and one is available which I think would fit YOU to a T!

It focuses on human behaviour change.

http://www.learningaboutanimals.co.uk/hbc.html

Or as my granny used to say

"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Perhaps you should read what I say and not your spin on it
I do not want to rule the world,change your minds,convert you etc etc. I prefer honesty to pretence. You seem to miss the whole point. I have tried very politely to answer remarks made,but now feel,let's agree to disagree.
I don't feel I needed to pussyfoot around,how wrong I was. I have said to me it is blindingly obvious,to others I am blindingly wrong.Will any of us lose sleep over this thread,I hope not. Thanks for all the input,good and bad.
Best wishes Alys
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >