View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2012, 02:25 PM
The dog I would love to own is a Kelpie, but I know they are very busy dogs and not really family pets.

I don,t like dogs with squashed faces.

I like dogs that look like they are smiling, like my Goldie and my Duck Toller.
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
JRTs. Having owned oneI will never ever have another. I know it's just a single experience with one dog but I've never liked any of the ones I've met either.

I'm not keen on Staffies or EBTs tbh but I've met some wonderful dogs from both breeds. I'm just not the right person to deal with a terrier breed that's all.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by theo&milly View Post
JRTs. Having owned oneI will never ever have another. I know it's just a single experience with one dog but I've never liked any of the ones I've met either.

I'm not keen on Staffies or EBTs tbh but I've met some wonderful dogs from both breeds. I'm just not the right person to deal with a terrier breed that's all.
I felt the same having lost my JRT (Sally) after 18 years.....many moons back .........but for me it was a different reason I never thought I would find one as good, met many but they never struck me....until Mojo came into our lives and she is divine
You either love them or love to see them but never own one, I can appreciate that ....some 'can' be such a handful. Thankfully Mojo is a great advocate for the breed
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2012, 09:32 PM
There was nothing bad about my JRT she was just a typical terrier with a strong prey drive and I was the idiot that got her because she was small & cute and didn't know the first thing about terriers. I had to rehome her with a very experienced owner who changed her life and gave her a chance to be the dog she was meant to be. It was absolutely terrible giving her up. The worst feeling in the world especially the puzzled look she gave me when she realized I was leaving and she wasn't coming with me. Ugh. I can't even think about it without feeling sick. I'm not a fan of the JRTs round here because they're far too barky and out of cobtrol on the lead snarling & straining lips curled back and they look like overstuffed sausages. They're nothing like poppy was but I'm not the right person to own a terrier and would NOT EVER repeat that experience of giving up a dog.

Poppy went to a fantastic home and is a wonderful dog in every way. I'm disappointed I couldn't give her that. This is why it's SO important to research your breed!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by theo&milly View Post
There was nothing bad about my JRT she was just a typical terrier with a strong prey drive and I was the idiot that got her because she was small & cute and didn't know the first thing about terriers. I had to rehome her with a very experienced owner who changed her life and gave her a chance to be the dog she was meant to be. It was absolutely terrible giving her up. The worst feeling in the world especially the puzzled look she gave me when she realized I was leaving and she wasn't coming with me. Ugh. I can't even think about it without feeling sick. I'm not a fan of the JRTs round here because they're far too barky and out of cobtrol on the lead snarling & straining lips curled back and they look like overstuffed sausages. They're nothing like poppy was but I'm not the right person to own a terrier and would NOT EVER repeat that experience of giving up a dog.

Poppy went to a fantastic home and is a wonderful dog in every way. I'm disappointed I couldn't give her that. This is why it's SO important to research your breed!
I agree, hubby really really was against JRT's every one he had met had snarled or snapped.....so you can imagine what he was like when Mojo came as as rescue at 4 weeks (she was going to PTS by the breeder as she was having difficulties feeding) having had JRT before and coming from a family that are JRT lovers I reassured him SHE wouldn't be like the 'typical JRT' that he knew thankfully she isn't, she likes ratting, but in a controlled manner (trained) and her DAD (hubby) loves the bones of her....... but as you so rightly say it IS important to research your breed .... sound advice
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
im not keen on dogs that shed alot AND slobber. i dont mind either or but together my friend's st bernard put me off for life! it would slobber on you, then shake, a load of hair would come out then stick to the bit he just slobbered on you its a shame, because i love newfoundlands, but seeing them all at crufts with their bibs on so the slobber didnt go in their coats, i just couldnt cope with it

im not too keen on spaniels, they just dont seem to stop, although i do like clumbers.

im not keen on many of the terriers either, the only two out of the group i would consider are borders and lakelands. this is only from me working with them alot though when im out ratting, rabbitting etc.

i cant think of any others at the minute. i love squishy faced breeds for the record, pugs and bulldogs being my favourite
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Border collies...

I love them, love their look, love their drive (at a distance). But I fostered one for 2 weeks and was so glad when he was gone... I felt under constant watch... I couldn't move without him dancing around me. "what are we going to do? Is it going to be cool? Can I do it?" He'd been a farm stray, a farmer handed him in to the local vet as he had wandered on to his farm and was chasing the sheep but was just too nice a dog to shoot.

I thought I best get this boy some training... I ran through my training book in a day and a half. From no training to all the basics and perfect hit every time in two days. By the end of the week I was frazzled trying to think of things to entertain him... By the end of two weeks I just couldn't bear his eager face. I couldn't have been more relieved when the vet phoned me and said a lady had come in and wanted to know if i thought Merlin would be any good at sheepherding training or agility... I'm sure he's a bloomin star!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Just about every type of dog except border collies - and some of those I wouldn't want!

Seriously, I don't like dogs with short legs or dogs that drool, wrinkly or very hairy dogs or any bull breeds.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I could not see myself with more breeds than I could see myself with. But top of my list for not wanting to own are many of the ones I see most fequently round here. Namely JRTs and Patterdales. They're like overwound clock springs waiting to explode all over the place any second. Also border collies, springer spaniels of which there are seemingly more of round here than any other breed and labradors - just stop for a seconnnnd, argh!!! And GSDs as I seem to be genuinely allergic to them in confined spaces. I'm okay making a fuss of them outside, but inside it's hayfever a go go.

High energy breeds are not a good match for me, so that rules out 90% of 4 KC breed groups right off the bat. And any dog with hair rather than fur or long hair on their faces as I like my dogs to be dogs rather than some kind of canine topiary exhibit - there go a few more. Most small to toy breeds - oops. Giant breeds that are slobbery and too heavy in bone to be agile and light on their feet - there go a few more. Anything too extreme in type of flat faced as dogs should be able to breathe and move around freely - goes without saying. I love spitz breeds, but most of those would be admire from a distance rather than own as a lot of them are noisy, shed constantly and need too much exercise - erm...

...are there any dog breds left? Anybody would think I don't like dogs at all rather than obsessed with them after reading that.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
So do you ever meet a dog, that you just know you couldn't own? Or do you think that you could cope with whatever they threw at you?
I know that I am incredibly fussy. I won't own, anymore, any dog over 30 pounds or under 10. I won't own a hairless dog, or a dog with a bearded face, or a profuse coat, or a dog that has an inclination to drool. I won't own a dog with lots of skin wrinkles or an amazingly short snout. High energy is also out. I live in Canada and docking and cropping are still done here for many breeds, and I won't own a docked or cropped dog . . . .

I do admire dogs with all of those qualities, but have no desire to own them. Narrows down the breeds pretty quickly if I were to be just picking from breeds.

Ruby
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »