View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Poor you poor dog Osteosarcoma is a nasty one .. very painful for the dog .. I don't know if things have changed from whe I WAS vet nurse but it was always terminal and amputation and chemo were a means of buying more time - not curative .. this may have changed .. and only you know your dog ..
for myself having witnessed both options many times professionally, I would opt for earlier euthanasia as I would not want my dog to go through the pain of the disease would can progress frighteningly fast ..
I wish you well and you have my sincerest sympathy xxx
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Thank you all for your support - it really does help!

Milo had to have a bone biopsy as the second lot of x-rays were inconclusive. Sadly, the biopsy confirms the diagnosis as osteosarcoma so he is booked in for the amputation on Monday. We'll see how he goes after that before deciding whether or not to proceed down the chemo path. I realise that many people won't agree but I don't feel I can euthanise an otherwise healthy, fit dog who has been a very large (literally!) part of my life for nearly ten years. He is currently hobbling around with a full plaster cast on his leg as the bone was fairly crumbly when the vet took the sample and he is quite happy in himself which makes me believe he will cope with the loss of a leg in his usual stoic way. If he doesn't, well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I think I would probably be taking the same route as you are (given the choices and the fact Milo is still otherwise fit, healthy and happy) and I am hoping it will give Milo a good quality of life for a long time to come yet. Thinking of you both x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think I would probably be taking the same route as you are (given the choices and the fact Milo is still otherwise fit, healthy and happy) and I am hoping it will give Milo a good quality of life for a long time to come yet. Thinking of you both x
Thank you! It's quite a relief to know for definite, even if it's not the news I was hoping for.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I realise that many people won't agree but I don't feel I can euthanise an otherwise healthy, fit dog who has been a very large (literally!) part of my life for nearly ten years. He is currently hobbling around with a full plaster cast on his leg as the bone was fairly crumbly when the vet took the sample and he is quite happy in himself which makes me believe he will cope with the loss of a leg in his usual stoic way. If he doesn't, well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!
Not at all, don't even think about this, he is your dog so the decision lies with you, like you say, he is happy and he sounds like he has the temperament to want to get on with his life. You are the only person who knows your dog so well. You will do what is right for him, you're taking a stand on his behalf, and I'd say he's very lucky to have you!

Lots of people disagreed with us putting Zeke through chemo (including my own family!) - but who pts a healthy 6 year old dog who is showing no signs of unhappiness?!!! It would have felt like murder. As it happened all turned out well, he's still in remission 15 months since diagnosis, it won't be forever, the cancer will come back but we try not to fret about tomorrow, or worry about yesterday, we focus on today, like our dogs do!

There may be hiccups/obstacles on the way, side effects or a turn in fortune, it may feel like a rollercoaster some days, but like you say, cross that if it comes to it.

These dogs are made of strong stuff! We're rooting for him here! xxxxx
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Good Luck for Monday. We know he will receive LOTS of TLC.

Hope he is okay. You have made the right decision. x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Not at all, don't even think about this, he is your dog so the decision lies with you, like you say, he is happy and he sounds like he has the temperament to want to get on with his life. You are the only person who knows your dog so well. You will do what is right for him, you're taking a stand on his behalf, and I'd say he's very lucky to have you!

Lots of people disagreed with us putting Zeke through chemo (including my own family!) - but who pts a healthy 6 year old dog who is showing no signs of unhappiness?!!! It would have felt like murder. As it happened all turned out well, he's still in remission 15 months since diagnosis, it won't be forever, the cancer will come back but we try not to fret about tomorrow, or worry about yesterday, we focus on today, like our dogs do!

There may be hiccups/obstacles on the way, side effects or a turn in fortune, it may feel like a rollercoaster some days, but like you say, cross that if it comes to it.

These dogs are made of strong stuff! We're rooting for him here! xxxxx
You've put many of my thoughts into words so thank you! My sister would have had him pts but she does respect my decision not to. I know it's not a cure and he will tell me when he's had enough but it certainly isn't now!

Thank you Deb.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
We know that you'll be very busy taking good care of him, but please let us know how he is coping.

All our thoughts are with you x
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm pleased you're fighting to get Milo some more time....every extra week of happiness you can have with him is precious.

Good luck to you both for the op...stay strong for him.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Sorry it IS osteo - but the life as a tripod thing, the cat would like you to know it's no biggie and gets you lots of extra cuddles, biscuits and affection.

Although your dog isn't, you might find a lot of info on places like the greyhound forums since that breed's prone to it - I know there's a big fairly active thread on greytalk.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »