Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I havent seen your reason for removing hers, so cant comment. If you feel its best thats down to you, her being your dog! I am just of the opinion that while running, turning ect dogs do uses theyr front dew claws. we have back dew claws removed - but I personally wouldnt have front ones moves unless, I have a vaild reason to. (not saying you dont as like I said I havent seen why your considering it)!
She ripped hers off the other week, clean cut but not straight off, was painful to the touch as you can imagine, couldnt get her to a vet, so I strapped it down. It fell off by itself overnight didnt take her to the vet since the job was already done, just kept an eye on her. There was no cause, just walked her down a path. She was lame for 2 days but then went back to herself. Inspected her other paw the vet says it looks like the same had happened to her other paw by the shape of it. She was concerned about where it was tearing from, and it appears to happen frequently to her, (ive only owned her a few months so there is no way of me knowing that for sure) She is going in to get spayed next Friday so said she would recommend having them removed while she was in to avoid the problem all together, gave me a quote and said just to let them know on the day what I want to do.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I dont understand?
??

Laura you dont have to exaplain your self to me - I just said I unless I have a vaild reason I wouldnt consider it, you feel you have a vaild reason
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2010, 02:40 PM
??

Laura you dont have to exaplain your self to me - I just said I unless I have a vaild reason I wouldnt consider it, you feel you have a vaild reason

lol I know

Im just still trying to work out for myself wether to have them removed or not. As i say its not something ive ever had to consider before, just trying to still work out in my head whats best for her.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Laura, same for me not having a go a you , was just giving my opinion, its your doggy and you will do the right thing for your dog, we will all never agree on some of these doggy things but its good to have dogesy to get varied opinions but your decision in the end
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Flynn has no front dewclaws, they are traditionally removed from HPR's but the collies do have theirs. I'm not bothered whether they have front dewclaws or not, they've never had a problem with them but I would have hind ones removed personally.

My collie bitch is a pretty hard working dog and will tackle any undergrowth from gorse to thick bramble (she tunnels underneath the vegetation just like rabbits) and often tears her ears yet she's never damaged a dewclaw.

If they were used for stability etc whilst turning on the move or gripping whilst eating then I would expect to see some grass or mud or blood or something on the dews to show this and yet I never do. So, i'm not totally convinced they are of any real use. After all, Flynn has none and yet he can turn on a sixpence at full speed.
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
I still think £100 is steep considering the spay is £130 and that includes the GA. But im willing to pay it if thats what needs be for the reasons you had said. Just going to speak to them about the amount, get a break down of cost etc. I only wasnt sure wether to get it done because it seems very frowned upon, I didnt understand why if it is causing them pain. Again perhaps im niave, I would never consider removing unless for a reason, Muffin has hers and never had a problem with hers, Ive only owned Totts a few months and had a bad mishap a few weeks ago for no reason with them and the vet says it looks as though the same has happened to her other one before.

I

thanks
Hi again!

Vets don't make much money on spay and neutering (it should cost far more, especially spays for the GA, surgery time it takes and free follow up appointment), they keep the cost to the bare minimum to encourage people to do the right thing for their pets. Thus making the £100 seem alot, when infact you're already getting a "bargain" with the spay cost....If you see what I mean....

My cat's dental scale and polish was nearly £300.....!!!!! Perspective!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Flynn has no front dewclaws, they are traditionally removed from HPR's but the collies do have theirs. I'm not bothered whether they have front dewclaws or not, they've never had a problem with them but I would have hind ones removed personally.

My collie bitch is a pretty hard working dog and will tackle any undergrowth from gorse to thick bramble (she tunnels underneath the vegetation just like rabbits) and often tears her ears yet she's never damaged a dewclaw.

If they were used for stability etc whilst turning on the move or gripping whilst eating then I would expect to see some grass or mud or blood or something on the dews to show this and yet I never do. So, i'm not totally convinced they are of any real use. After all, Flynn has none and yet he can turn on a sixpence at full speed.
do you not i do with 8 of mine.
they are defo used for turning but im still with laura if she has a history of hurting them,and shes having a ga anyway why not if the spay goes well remove them
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
do you not i do with 8 of mine.
they are defo used for turning but im still with laura if she has a history of hurting them,and shes having a ga anyway why not if the spay goes well remove them
I agree!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by AnimalFactor View Post
Hi again!

Vets don't make much money on spay and neutering (it should cost far more, especially spays for the GA, surgery time it takes and free follow up appointment), they keep the cost to the bare minimum to encourage people to do the right thing for their pets. Thus making the £100 seem alot, when infact you're already getting a "bargain" with the spay cost....If you see what I mean....

My cat's dental scale and polish was nearly £300.....!!!!!
was that with pre ga bloods? if so thats sadly about right.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Lola has managed to break off both of her front dew-claws in two separate incidents, they both were practically down to the wick and bled a bit.

I can understand some people not wanting them left on because of this TBH.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >