View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
I think people are focusing too much on the breed here as something like this can happen to all manner of different breeds. My husky has got a hold of a ferret and killed it (still no idea how the ferret got out) but she is fine with little dogs and cats. my Lurcher on the other hand is terrible with cats and we dont trust her with very little dogs either esp if they are in the distance.

Yes i agree the dog is not at fault and maybe the OP should have done more to keep the dog in check but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Whats happened is done and there is no point in 'you should ofing' the poor woman to death. Rather then going on about how terrible she was for letting it happen (a fact i am sure she already knows and feels awful about) how about we offer advise on how to ensure it never happens again?

To the OP, I am so sorry this happened to you and can only echo what has been said by others. This sounds more like prey drive then dog aggression so i would advise keeping her on lead and look at investing in a good fence.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Absolutely agree Raz.....my lurchers and greyhound are dreadful with cats and not much better with small furries!
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I think people are focusing too much on the breed here as something like this can happen to all manner of different breeds. My husky has got a hold of a ferret and killed it (still no idea how the ferret got out) but she is fine with little dogs and cats. my Lurcher on the other hand is terrible with cats and we dont trust her with very little dogs either esp if they are in the distance.

Yes i agree the dog is not at fault and maybe the OP should have done more to keep the dog in check but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Whats happened is done and there is no point in 'you should ofing' the poor woman to death. Rather then going on about how terrible she was for letting it happen (a fact i am sure she already knows and feels awful about) how about we offer advise on how to ensure it never happens again?

To the OP, I am so sorry this happened to you and can only echo what has been said by others. This sounds more like prey drive then dog aggression so i would advise keeping her on lead and look at investing in a good fence.

I agree with this 100% I think there is far too much emphasis on the breed in some of the posts, as I have already said this could happen with any working dog type breed!! and I think we should show more support to the OP and not tell her what she should have done, hindsight is always 20 - 20 vision! I am sure if she could go back in time...

A terrible thing has thing has happened, and just saying "well you have a husky, you should have known this could have happended" is not constructive and will not bring back that poor little dog either!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I think some folks are coming down a little too harshly on the OP. If she's not a dog person, she may just believe a dog is a dog. They're all basically alike. And they're obviously not. Not even within a breed (I've known huskies that would kill anything small near it and some who didn't even notice a fast-moving squirrel). This dog was just dumped on her by her daughter (who is the one who irks me in this story). She's tried to find a new home for the dog (which ultimately might be where her mind was, rather than trying to find out everything there is to know about huskies -- why learn about the breed when you don't plan to keep the dog?). It's a crappy situation she's been put in and having people come down on her for that in such a harsh way is not warranted.

I hope the OP returns and let's us know what is going on. This dog does not deserve to lose its life.
I totally agree with this post.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I doubt the owner of the dead dog would agree with you, TBH. Put yourself in her position.
It is not the poor owner of the dog that this Husky killed that has asked for support, help and advice on this forum. I wonder if she will actually ever dare to reply to these posts on her thread........ the poor woman must have been devastated and to have such harsh criticism levelled at her by some is nothing short of appalling. Some say that it is not a breed thing and it could apply to any dog...........others say that she should have researched the breed and realised the problems. How confusing this all must be.

Linda needs help and support, not a load of arguing. It is all probably immaterial because having read through all this she will probably not come back, which is a pity because there are many kind sympathetic and knowledgeable people on here who could really help her.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
i do not think the op will be back (hopefully i am wrong)
i also do not think i have been harsh.
..i do not see how focussing on the breed is wrong...as it was a sibe and the situation could of been prevented,i hope that potential sibe owners or someone that may have an open unfenced yard and a sibe,may read this thread and decide to do some research into this friendly gentle breed..and hopefully(seems to be my keyword lol)avoid a situation like this happening again
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
..i do not see how focussing on the breed is wrong...as it was a sibe and the situation could of been prevented,i hope that potential sibe owners or someone that may have an open unfenced yard and a sibe,may read this thread and decide to do some research into this friendly gentle breed..and hopefully(seems to be my keyword lol)avoid a situation like this happening again
I think it's horrible that the OP has left Dogsey because of some nasty replies.... and I hope that those who made the nasty replies take a good long look at themselves and wonder how much actual help they have been in this particular situation! The lady was obviously devastated and looking for help... IMO too many people were looking backwards... not all that much use when the tragedy has already happened!!!!

As for simply calling Husky's a friendly gentle breed... I'm guessing that's the information that her daughter went on when getting the dog.... I would earlier state that the Husky can be a friendly gentle breed under the right circumstances and provided with the right stimulation and direction, but not a breed for first time dog owners.... But of course.... that's just my opinion....
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:32 PM

No, focusing on the breed is not wrong.......you were the one that said that it was when you had a snipe at me earlier in the thread You have finally said what many of us have already pointed out, i.e. that a Husky needs to be securely contained, but I am sure that Linda already is aware of that fact after what has happened.

I wish her well, and am only dreadfully sorry that she didn't get the constructive help and comfort that she needed.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
I think it's horrible that the OP has left Dogsey because of some nasty replies.... and I hope that those who made the nasty replies take a good long look at themselves and wonder how much actual help they have been in this particular situation! The lady was obviously devastated and looking for help... IMO too many people were looking backwards... not all that much use when the tragedy has already happened!!!!

As for simply calling Husky's a friendly gentle breed... I'm guessing that's the information that her daughter went on when getting the dog.... I would earlier state that the Husky can be a friendly gentle breed under the right circumstances and provided with the right stimulation and direction, but not a breed for first time dog owners.... But of course.... that's just my opinion....
lol u dont read my posts do you..i said i hope she would be back
neither do i ever descibe sibes easy or for the novice owner

i wanted to put gentle and friendly because most are(and ive met enough and live with enough to comment on that),and reading a few posts on here it would seem some people think they are toddler attacking murderers....thats just my opinion.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
lol u dont read my posts do you..i said i hope she would be back
neither do i ever descibe sibes easy or for the novice owner

i wanted to put gentle and friendly because most are(and ive met enough and live with enough to comment on that),and reading a few posts on here it would seem some people think they are toddler attacking murderers....thats just my opinion.
eh?? who mentioned toddlers?? Oh for goodness sake stop defending your chosen breed (lovely they may be) and widen your vision to see the problem on this thread. In this particular case it was a Husky that has caused trauma to the lives of at least two people.....whatever the cause, reason or lack of supervision or training. Linda wanted HELP....not a lecture on how gentle the dogs are.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
No, focusing on the breed is not wrong.......you were the one that said that it was when you had a snipe at me earlier in the thread:lol: You have finally said what many of us have already pointed out, i.e. that a Husky needs to be securely contained, but I am sure that Linda already is aware of that fact after what has happened.

I wish her well, and am only dreadfully sorry that she didn't get the constructive help and comfort that she needed.
yes because i can be defensive about my breed
...you told a story about a dog being 'ripped apart' (dont see how that helped the op)..and followed it by saying u think they should be onlead and muzzled!

i also wish the op well...and as said before,hopes she comes back

eta... people often pop on with a first post of some drama or tragedy....and never come back,not because they were scared off,but because they were never going to in the first place.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >