View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Len used to nip, and I was advised to make a loud "AH!" noise. This did help and he grew out of it.

He still likes to bite my ankles when he's really pleased to see me, though..... .

Are you revisiting, Hannah? Or is your work there done? Sounds like they were lucky to find you to help them.....

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Len used to nip, and I was advised to make a loud "AH!" noise. This did help and he grew out of it.

He still likes to bite my ankles when he's really pleased to see me, though..... .

Are you revisiting, Hannah? Or is your work there done? Sounds like they were lucky to find you to help them.....

I don't think a nip would have been problem...but this was full on frustration biting.

I will revisit if they want me to - they have just started puppy classes at the vets and will email or ring me if they hit anymore difficulties.

I'd imagine they will start him in training classes with me once they have finished at the vets (thats usually what happens).
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I don't think a nip would have been problem...but this was full on frustration biting.

I will revisit if they want me to - they have just started puppy classes at the vets and will email or ring me if they hit anymore difficulties.

I'd imagine they will start him in training classes with me once they have finished at the vets (thats usually what happens).
Fancy a trip to Oxfordshire? Woody still does frustration biting. He has a soft mouth now and stops when we tell him sternly ''no biting'', but he still does it.

We've gone back to puppy basics with him and everytime he gives the look, or makes that little sound he does we shove a toy in his mouth, Mini Phoebe is a true star.

He also still goes to bite when he's been naughty on the bed or the sofa and we try to get him off. Unfortunately this is learnt behaviour form my stubborn husband being physical (not harmful, but physical) with him rather than standing his ground and using the command words. We have to lure him out with treats - not ideal. In my opinion, Woody will happily ignore because he knows eventualy we (my husband) will give up, whereas he listens to me more because he knows I would happily stand there al day telling him.

Also, I think we've confused the situation as we seem to use the word ''off'' for a lot of different scenarios; off the furniture, off the treat/toy, off us (no jumping) and off the counter tops/tables. Is this causing an issue with 'off'' the bed/sofa?

Should I move this onto my settle thread? Sorry for the threadjack, it's just got me thinking.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Could you use a trail lead?

George was awful at moving anywhere when I first had her, it does seem to be a springer thing!

No eye contact and no getting cross and no reward. Always give him an escape route.

If you use titbits or rewards I'd make him do something after he has got off----even if it is just a sit.

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Could you use a trail lead?

George was awful at moving anywhere when I first had her, it does seem to be a springer thing!

No eye contact and no getting cross and no reward. Always give him an escape route.

If you use titbits or rewards I'd make him do something after he has got off----even if it is just a sit.

rune
God, thanks for saying that, we do wonder sometimes. Makes you really think about Springers as first pets. Generally a no-no, unless you have a strong-willed, determined Mummy like me ;o)

He ''hates'' being trapped or cornered (don't blame him) and also hates any kind of restraint or restriction.

We ALWAYS make him do something before he gets a biscuit, BUT then he's not learning that, for example the reason he's now shut out of the bedroom is because he was humping the cushions. This is what I want him to learn.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 10:04 AM
God that poor woman with all those nasty bites. Really hard to say what I would do in that situation without actually being in it but I imagine I would give a very stern "AH" and stand up and leave the room (assuming of course the dog was surprised enough to let go of his grip and not continue dangling from my arm as I left the room) I think I would just continue to repeat this as long as the behaviour continued.

Ivan was very quick to cop on to this when he first arrived. He used to chase after my daughter's slippers so he was given a firm "AH" and then time out (literally 2 to 3 mins) or if he was getting over excited and trying to jump up again a firm "AH" and arms folded and back turned.

He still gets a bit excited some times all we have to do is fold our arms and look away and his bottom hits the floor in a flash and then he gets all the cuddles in the world xx
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5