Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am not sure whether you saw my earlier post or not Talassie, but have you contacted the breeders about the problems you are having?
Sorry Kirsty, I did mean to reply. I have mentioned the recall problem to Karen a few times but she has not made any suggestions. To be fair I didn't really say how stressful it all was as I hoped at that time to be able to resolve it.
I think looking back I was given the wrong advice on which pup to take. Karen recommended the most outgoing bouncy pup which would not have been my choice. But I made the decision to follow her advice because I thought that a confident pup would be less likely to be a fear biter. I do regret my decision now. I am a quiet person and I am sure I would have been happier with a quieter pup. However it is easy to see what went wrong with hindsight and not so easy at the time.
I would be interested to hear why you think the problem is unlikely to be resolved.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I really sympathise with you on this hun,
Isis has NO recall when she's on her own, she just wanders off and I think always will so she is on a long line when she's taken out on her own.
When she's out with Shila shila will herd her back in the general direction of me but even then its not 100% effective so she's only allowed off lead on the beach now as its completly deserted and there's nothing to distract her.

Being on a long line is not always a bad thing especially if it keeps your dog safe x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg;16868
Is the issue that you feel you haven't bonded in spite of trying? do you feel she'd be happier with someone else?

You say you've implemented pack theory - sometimes if done a bit OTT this can actually diminish the bond between owner and dog, this aspect may be worth looking at. This can happen especially if dogs are not allowed to initiate attention and contact which some stricter programmes tend to lean towards. Personally I never follow it nor suggest it to clients :smile:

[B
No it really doesn't help build a relationship.[/B]

Not sure how old she is etc but I'd invest in a really good one to one trainer or even a reputable behaviourist to spend some time with you and see if you can do anything about the problems
I have seen several trainers over the past year. The first one was apdt and advised me to keep her on a lead and away from other dogs on the basis that she would get addicted to playing with dogs. I am now thinking this was not good advice and may have fuelled her desire to be with other dogs.
It is certainly disheartening when you feel a dog won't recall and prefers to play with other dogs etc and when you've really worked hard to improve matters with no result. However itmay be that you are making some basic errrors which are causing the problem to emerge.

One thing many peeps do is to not really allow play or call back the dogs straight away. They as you rightly say are rewarded for being with the other dogs. What I always recommend is to allow play if there is no chance at getting the dog back and then when the dog is tired, that is when you then call your dog, who is usually glad to come back for a tasty reward or toy. You have to find out what motivates the dog, that's really important! It's not always what we think it might be, for some dogs it's something daft like Cheerios for example! Most dogs it's more likely to be roast chicken or liver.
She seems to have an endless capacity for playing with other dogs. After an hour when the other dogs are tired and walking quietly she is running round and round them. And when they are being put on the lead she is hovering several feet away out of range.

Over time, the dog can if necessary be recalled earlier and this is just the tip of the training iceberg, but if attempts are made to recall when the dog is not listening, it is doubtful any dog would come back There are many other tips as well!
I do try not to call her when she is really excited. She does hear me but just disobeys.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Sorry Kirsty, I did mean to reply. I have mentioned the recall problem to Karen a few times but she has not made any suggestions. To be fair I didn't really say how stressful it all was as I hoped at that time to be able to resolve it.
I think looking back I was given the wrong advice on which pup to take. Karen recommended the most outgoing bouncy pup which would not have been my choice. But I made the decision to follow her advice because I thought that a confident pup would be less likely to be a fear biter. I do regret my decision now. I am a quiet person and I am sure I would have been happier with a quieter pup. However it is easy to see what went wrong with hindsight and not so easy at the time.
I would be interested to hear why you think the problem is unlikely to be resolved.
Thanks for the reply Irena.

Regarding the highlighted sentence ... I am not sure what you mean? I do think the problem can be resolved, but I also believe it comes down to how much you actually *want* it to work, ie it sounds to me like a relationship breakdown. I have always had the impression (and please forgive me if I am way off mark) that you don't has as good a relationship with Tala as with your previous GSD bitch and so the partnership is falling short of what you were hoping for?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:19 PM
It sounds to me as though there is a relationship problem between you. Tala doesn't find you as interesting as others dogs, doesn't respect you and you have lost all confidence in yourself and in Tala. It is a sad situation, but not one that cannot be repaired IMO.
I was referring to what you said in this post and wondered if you had seen this problem before.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:21 PM
" have seen several trainers over the past year. The first one was apdt and advised me to keep her on a lead and away from other dogs on the basis that she would get addicted to playing with dogs. I am now thinking this was not good advice and may have fuelled her desire to be with other dogs"

I think this could definitely be a big part of the problem. I have always found that only dogs who don't often get to play with other dogs get obsessed by playing with other dogs to the point that the owner may as well not exist. My sister's BT bitch is currently going through the same thing!

I have always allowed my dogs to play with others from a young age and have never had a problem recalling them from playing.

How far away is your friend who breeds the GSDs? You say she lives on a farm - ie has land? If so, could you arrange to go over there regularly and exercise Tala off lead with her dogs and practice recall training over there.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Irena.

Regarding the highlighted sentence ... I am not sure what you mean? I do think the problem can be resolved, but I also believe it comes down to how much you actually *want* it to work, ie it sounds to me like a relationship breakdown. I have always had the impression (and please forgive me if I am way off mark) that you don't has as good a relationship with Tala as with your previous GSD bitch and so the partnership is falling short of what you were hoping for?
Yes I think you are right and I think the problem stemmed initially from being unable to interact with her in any way when we were outside. And now the recall problem has compounded the issue. I certainly don't have the relationship with her that I had hoped for or that I had experienced with Tess. I don't even have as good a relationship with Tala as I had with my goldie who could be very stubborn but who loved to play with balls and frisbees and so could be trained reasonably easily.
I have tried not to compare her to my last shepherd and indeed that was part of the reason I didn't want to get another Foxfold because I was worried that whatever dog I got would not match up to Tess. But obviously I have been doing that without realising.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:28 PM
[I]

How far away is your friend who breeds the GSDs? You say she lives on a farm - ie has land? If so, could you arrange to go over there regularly and exercise Tala off lead with her dogs and practice recall training over there.
I'm afraid she lives a long way away. 6 hours travelling in fact!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:28 PM
It is a sad situation, but not one that cannot be repaired IMO.

I was trying to say it is sad, but the situation can be improved/repaired. Sorry, it does sound a tad confusing in the other post!

As I think I said, for me, it all comes down to how much you really want it to work and believe it can work. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the bond with a particular dog just isn't there.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:31 PM
It is a sad situation, but not one that cannot be repaired IMO.

I was trying to say it is sad, but the situation can be improved/repaired. Sorry, it does sound a tad confusing in the other post!

As I think I said, for me, it all comes down to how much you really want it to work and believe it can work. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the bond with a particular dog just isn't there.
My mistake, I misread it as 'not one that can be repaired'
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »