View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Why is it whenever the subject of dogs approaching other dogs comes up people get over-reactive? At the end of the day, they`re social animals (with the emphasis on animal).
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
Just had what I guess is my 1st real encounter with a iresponsible dog owner.

Some woman had her two dogs off lead by a field, we both saw each other from a distance. I had shortened my lead and kept Prince by my side. When we were close the woman let her two dogs to run up to my dog. They played nicely with my shepherd but then as the woman walked past one of her dogs charged Prince and went to bite him twice and had a growl at him.

She pretended she didn't see this and walked by me without saying anything. I called her and she eventually spoke to me (after pretending she couldn't hear me) and said twice that it was my fault since my dog was on a lead, and her dogs don't like dogs that are on leads.

I am absolutely shocked by what she said.

Elaine x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Why is it whenever the subject of dogs approaching other dogs comes up people get over-reactive? At the end of the day, they`re social animals (with the emphasis on animal).
Depends on your experiences, really.

I have had plenty of "friendly" dogs try and go for mine, "friendly" dogs that have been down right rude in mounting and trying to dominate my dog who is minding his own business, "friendly" dogs who's owners have no control of them and then we have a 20 minute saga of their dog following us, them trying to recall the dog to no avail, then us having to cut our walk short. I could go on.

Dogs may well be social animals, but there are plenty of poorly mannered, anti-social dogs out there, too.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh, and anti-social, poorly mannered owners, too...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Depends on your experiences, really.

I have had plenty of "friendly" dogs try and go for mine, "friendly" dogs that have been down right rude in mounting and trying to dominate my dog who is minding his own business, "friendly" dogs who's owners have no control of them and then we have a 20 minute saga of their dog following us, them trying to recall the dog to no avail, then us having to cut our walk short. I could go on.

Dogs may well be social animals, but there are plenty of poorly mannered, anti-social dogs out there, too.
This is what made Takara so reactive and fearful around other dogs

She tries to greet them politely and then move away but they follow her, get in her face etc. and she ends up (after giving all the right signals) snapping at them to make them go away.

She's not aggressive, and she goes offlead but she'll show her teeth and if that doesn't work she snaps at the air to put distance between her and another dog.

Then I get 'oh it shouldn't be offlead if it's aggressive'

ERM She's not aggressive - she's fed up of your rude, badly mannered mutt following her and sticking his face in hers! Truly frustrating when you're trying to work on it and build up her tolerance of other dogs and people couldn't give a toss what their dog is doing!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Truly frustrating when you're trying to work on it and build up her tolerance of other dogs and people couldn't give a toss what their dog is doing!
Yep - we get the ones who just keep walking and pretending that the dog isn't theirs while it pesters mine.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
This is what made Takara so reactive and fearful around other dogs

She tries to greet them politely and then move away but they follow her, get in her face etc. and she ends up (after giving all the right signals) snapping at them to make them go away.

She's not aggressive, and she goes offlead but she'll show her teeth and if that doesn't work she snaps at the air to put distance between her and another dog.

Then I get 'oh it shouldn't be offlead if it's aggressive'

ERM She's not aggressive - she's fed up of your rude, badly mannered mutt following her and sticking his face in hers! Truly frustrating when you're trying to work on it and build up her tolerance of other dogs and people couldn't give a toss what their dog is doing!
We have the same problme with Cassie, she is all waggy and happy to see other dogs but after the hello sniff she wants to do her own thing. The other dogs sometimes dont take the hint and will carry on sniffing, Cassie goes stiff and the tail gets tucked under. The dog doesn't notice the signs and Cassie ends up snapping at them we then look like the bad owners!!

I always think well if some stanger kept grabbing my boobs and wouldn't take no for an answer i would be less then polite about it!!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2009, 02:00 PM
hey clair,i sent you a message and not sure if i done it correctly...all is good ....
raz..your last statment,got me in stitches!!!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Razcox I agree entirely! And have used a similar analogy before... although not quite grabbing of the boobs.. but I like it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
hey clair,i sent you a message and not sure if i done it correctly...all is good ....
yes thanks - have replied. All is good.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5