View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Only just seen this, and I feel so sorry for you Alex. Sometimes our dogs do things that are irritating, and sometimes they do things that are appalling. Unfortunately yours comes under the latter heading although I have to say that if the poor thing was kicked BEFORE the attack, which was not severe, then no wonder it tried to defend itself.

Still, I think that given all the circumstances you probably have no real choice do you and my heart really goes out to you. I am so so sorry.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
For the love of God do none of you have a heart? This poor girl is having to live with what has happened - she came on here for support which thankfully most of us have given her. The time for an inquest is in six months time not today.

It's happened and she is in hell - let's give her support for doing the right thing.
I resent this remark. I have a heart, and I love dogs. We are all here because we love dogs. I am angered that a dog has to lose her life because of something like this. I am also angered that the owner told me "it could not have been prevented".

I did my best not to judge, and though you didn't mention any names in your post.. I know that I'm included. Her dog should have been put into training and muzzled outdoors from the first time she bit a person. Yet she wasn't and it's happened again. This was bound to happen and it COULD have been prevented.

I made mistakes as a dog owner too! My dog got loose and bit another persons dog in their yard one time. But I took responsibility for my actions. I was ready to pay a vet bill I could not afford (get a loan, pawn/sell something, borrow, get a credit card) whatever it took, because I know my dogs actions are my responsibility. I kept my dog vaccinated as the law requires. I did not try to blame the breeder or anything of that sort.

I sympathize with her for having to put down her dog. I'm sure she loves the dog. However; she calls the dog her "beloved" yet isn't even trying to consider options for the dog. She "can't afford it" when I know if it was her child, she'd not have a problem affording it.

I understand that I am being harsh, but I just see so much that went wrong. I truly think that this dog doesn't deserve to be put down. Yes, she bit someone.. even twice.. but does that truly mean she deserves death?

Also, she bit a lady.. I thought it was a child. How does the owner know that the dog is aggressive with children? My old dog Brownie would have bitten an adult if they invaded his space, but he would NEVER, EVER have hurt a child.

While I'm doing my best to support her, I don't believe putting this dog down is the right thing to do, which is why I have an issue. I believe she is truly trying to do the right thing, and what she believes to be her best option, but I don't think putting this dog down is the right thing to do.

It sounds more like she can't really afford the 1000 dollar bill to get the dog out, and doesn't have the time or patience to train the dog. Not trying to be rude, but she made a lot of excuses in her response to my first comment. They were PURE excuses too, not reasons.

Moreover, her story timeline doesn't link up well and is confusing. She's struggling to remember events that happened mere days ago that involved her "beloved". She also threatened to leave the site and called another user "judgmental" for asking a simple question.

I understand that the user is looking for sympathy, but as I already said, this did not have to happen. When dogs bite people or show serious aggression towards people, as an owner you HAVE to take your responsibility THEN, not WAY after the fact.

This form of "responsibility" is atonement. Killing this dog after she bit two people isn't what I'd call responsible. It's likely her only true option now, but it still doesn't make ME feel any better about it. I would never want another dog to suffer because of this. It's why I tried to put in my honest opinion. If this user got another dog, there could be a repeat. That would be devastating.

The user is calling her own dog dangerous and saying she doesn't trust the dog. Where did that come from? She all of a sudden doesn't trust her "beloved"? So, because your dog bit another person, she's automatically a threat to you and your kids? She bit another person before... and the woman kept her.. did she not?

This post just bothers me a lot. To me, it looks like this person doesn't value her dogs life enough. If my dog bit someone, I'd do EVERYTHING within my power to help her. I think a dogs life is worth more than that. They are loyal, loving creatures that behave the way they are raised. The "I can't afford it" doesn't ride over well with me when it comes to a life.

She has already made her statement, and the dog will be put down. There isn't anything we can do to save the dog, or to change her mind, but that doesn't mean we have to like or agree with her decision. I simply have a problem with this, it's my personal feelings and while I apologize for offending anybody, I will NOT hold my tongue on here.

As the old adage goes... some people should stick to pet rocks.
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Just love that last sentence,I will be using it! Have to say I agree with a lot that you said. If you want absolution without comment probably best go to church,not a random dog forum. Sorry if this sounds harsh,I am getting old.and cynical
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:03 AM
And I don't know how to use the smiley icons!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:09 AM
And as another adage goes, "don't judge until you have walked a mile in their shoes"

Alex is having a bad time and needs some support. None of us are over joyed at a dog being PTS but there are some circumstances when it is beyond our control.

btw, alys, when you reply, to your right are a list of smilies, click on the one you want or on "more" for a longer list
alex1098
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:28 AM
i failed to mention her father which was 100 perfect pitbull was put down because of aggression; i am not going to argue with anyone at this point.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by alex1098 View Post
i failed to mention her father which was 100 perfect pitbull was put down because of aggression; i am not going to argue with anyone at this point.
changed mind
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Not read all of this, but the biggest consideration to me is whether or not you feel able to trust your dog enough to be able to manage the situation which you have answered no and whether you feel you could live and maintain the management procedures to ensure no repetition could occur.

You cannot muzzle a dog 24 hours a day and if your house isn't secure then you have one hell of a big problem on your hands.

Regardless of the emotive issues involved, if you cannot honestly say that you can guarantee the safety of others, then you really have little choice.

So very sad and my heart goes out to you for having to make such a terrible decision
alex1098
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:47 AM
oh, for my dog, whose genetic code was deviated by the first horrible breeders, we had to back track to find, to find the father (100% pitbull) was put down for aggression; i know although it feels like my heart is bleeding, she is wired wrong, and i cannot take the chance of her hurting a child.
alex1098
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2013, 10:49 AM
thank you; thats all i have been trying to say all along!!
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »