Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You must pass this information on to David Mech, he hasn't just studied Wolves, but also other wild dogs, fancy him being so wrong & still thinking that Wolves & Wild dogs live in packs !
He already knows this and is among the researchers who have redefined our understanding of wolf dynamics.... you seem to be stuck in the 70s when Mech first published his influential an popular book that gave rise to all these misconceptions.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-09-2009, 09:08 AM
From David Mech's site...

"Below you can download a pdf version of Schenkel’s 1947 “Expressions Studies on Wolves.” This is the study that gave rise to the now outmoded notion of alpha wolves. That concept was based on the old idea that wolves fight within a pack to gain dominance and that the winner is the “alpha” wolf. Today we understand that most wolf packs consist of a pair of adults called “parents” or “breeders,” (not “alphas”), and their offspring.

See http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/sci...us_english.pdf for more information.
"
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post

"Below you can download a pdf version of Schenkel’s 1947 “Expressions Studies on Wolves.” This is the study that gave rise to the now outmoded notion of alpha wolves. That concept was based on the old idea that wolves fight within a pack to gain dominance and that the winner is the “alpha” wolf. Today we understand that most wolf packs consist of a pair of adults called “parents” or “breeders,” (not “alphas”), and their offspring.

"
Er I suggest you read my post I am well aware of the changes David has made thanks to his studies of real wild Wolf PACKS

Well they were wrong about Wolves for an awful long time so it isn't that inconceivable that people are wrong on this aspect as well.My understanding of African Wild Dog Groups is that they are a family unit with a breeding pair and offspring.
Becky intimated that Wolves do not live in PACKS & also that African Wild Dogs do not live in PACKS, now the quote from David's site above quite clearly states that Wolf PACKS do exist.

I want to know what research anyone has done that shows that African Wild Dogs do not live in PACKS(as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary: A group of animals that live and hunt together) & that NO dogs form PACKS.

What you are told does not represent reality. Really, next time try looking up the taxonomic name of this animal - it is no more a "dog" than a prairie dog.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_dog
So the African Hunting Dog isn't a dog ??????? Why is it part of the Subfamily Caninae :True dogs - Tribe Canini: Genus Lycaon ? are you saying that it is a rodent like the Prairie Dog(Order Rodentia: Suborder Sciuromorpha: Family Scriudae: Genus Cynomys.) Hm my Zoology books appear to be way off then !
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
He already knows this and is among the researchers who have redefined our understanding of wolf dynamics.... you seem to be stuck in the 70s when Mech first published his influential an popular book that gave rise to all these misconceptions.
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post

"
Just because some of us maintain that wolves and some wild dogs do live in packs, it does not automatically mean that we support the alpha male and dominace theories. The word 'pack' purely means a group of animals that live and hunt together....it does not specify whether the pack is a family group or not, nor the order within the pack.

The real question I guess is what is the relevance of this to domestic dogs.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I do hate all the pack/alpha/dominance debates.
The 'is my dog a wolf' thing that goes on.

My dog is not a wolf, just like I am not a caveman. The demands on me and my body since the caveman era have altered as they have with dogs/wolves.

My dog is a dog. If he were allowed to be wild his survival instincts would kick in yes...as would mine...but that would not turn him into a wolf...just a loose dog. If I ended up on a desert island...it would not turn me into a caveman, just a displaced person trying to survive. For both the idea of 'survival of the fittest' would have a stronger place in life...but it would not turn us into our ancestors, we could never be that as we have different life experiences, as did our parents and parents parents. I am not a caveman just as my mud wallowing dog is not a wolf and never, ever will be. Should his pups and pups pups end up wild too...they would still be just that...wild DOGS not wolves.I would be a wild child...so no change there then.

My dog does not see me as a member of his pack either. I am pretty convinced of that. He knows I am not a dog. He is not stupid. He is aware I am not a dog just as he is aware the hamster is not a dog...or the ducks...or pigeons...or squirrels or indeed foxes. Pack behaviour then for me and my dog means nothing. I do not have to be alpha and feed me first etc.

Just my take on it all....
I'm not sure that anyone is trying to say that they would become wolves. But I think there is every likelihood that they would revert to wolf like group structures. Taking your example of humans, no (hopefully at least!) we would not revert to cavemen, but I think there would be certain 'backward' steps. For example, would woman still seek sexual equality - I think not, i think they would revert to looking after the children while the men did the 'hard work'. Choices of partner would also no doubt change - they would not be selected on 'love' or 'compatibilty' but from the woman's point of view, the partner most likely to be able to provide for their family and from the mans, the woman most likely to raise him strong healthy children.

I think dogs are the same in that for them to survive and successfully reproduce, they would need to form close knit groups capable of co-operation, i.e. going back towards the wolf. I also think that whilst domesticated dogs don't currently need the social and other skills to succeed in such a group, for many dogs it is still inherent and that put in the position of needing to live in a pack, they would fall in with the ways quite easily...ie it would not be a completely alien concept to them.

But again, whether this is relevent to the training of a modern domestic dog is a different matter. personally, for the reasons stated above, i don't think it should be automatically dismissed, but equally I certainly don't think it should be used as the foundation for all dog understanding/training etc.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 10:25 AM

I want to know what research anyone has done that shows that African Wild Dogs do not live in PACKS(as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary: A group of animals that live and hunt together) & that NO dogs form PACKS.

The first thing you should do is realize that going to a dictionary for a technical definition is foolish.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:28 AM

The first thing you should do is realize that going to a dictionary for a technical definition is foolish.
Really? (is it as bad as quoting from wikipedia )

Out of interest, what would your definition of 'pack' be and from what source?
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm not sure that anyone is trying to say that they would become wolves. But I think there is every likelihood that they would revert to wolf like group structures.
Since we already have evidence that this isn't so, the "likelihood" of you being right is approaching zero.

I think dogs are the same in that for them to survive and successfully reproduce, they would need to form close knit groups capable of co-operation, i.e. going back towards the wolf.
This suggests a self willed evolution and we know nature doesn't work this way. Evolution and nature does not 'care' about needs and for reasons far too technical to go into the dog cannot go "backward" any more than human populations could become Homo habilis.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Is it really ??? Ok then From my Zoology terminology book

Pack: When applied to a group of animal used to denote a group that is formed for increasing chances of the survival of the genetic material of the individual animals, by co-existing & hunting & rearing offspring !

Nm That in layman's terms is a group of animals that live/breed/hunt together !!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Since we already have evidence that this isn't so, the "likelihood" of you being right is approaching zero.

This suggests a self willed evolution and we know nature doesn't work this way. Evolution and nature does not 'care' about needs and for reasons far too technical to go into the dog cannot go "backward" any more than human populations could become Homo habilis.
I'm going to have to come back to you on that because I have definitely read about feral dogs forming packs, sharing the raising of the pups and with only one bitch in the group having pups.

Urrrmmm, i thought evolution was ALL about needs... not needs as in 'I need a mobile phone to stay in contact' but needs as in 'if we don't/can't do this/that, our future offspring will not survive'.

Once again, I am not necessarily talking about physical characteristics (although to an extent i think there would be changes) but about behaviour.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Pack: When applied to a group of animal used to denote a group that is formed for increasing chances of the survival of the genetic material of the individual animals, by co-existing & hunting & rearing offspring !

Nm That in layman's terms is a group of animals that live/breed/hunt together !!!!
Then by your definintion dogs don't form packs. According to the research they maintain their numbers by adopting new members, not reproduction. They don't rear the pups in a group and they don't hunt in coordinated groups, which is why they don't bring down large game.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >