Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Afraid you dont need to - all the colours here
http://www.maltipoofurbabies.com/previouspuppies.htm
Can not believe my joke of Maltpoo's is real, seriously words evade me............

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Gorgeous little things, but who on earth dreamed up the names...i.e. French Vanilla for the colouring...sounds like a sales pitch to me
Exotic Fireglow
Caramel Delight
Exotic Apple Dumpling
Apricot Chiffon

add Maltipoo to the end it all turns out wrong wrong wrong wrong.............argh why is my only question

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
OMG - I just looked at the prices $2100 to $3000!!!!No doubt the more exotic sounding the made up colour the higher the price
Sick
Crossbreed
that you can buy online by paypal
4-5 litters a year
Teacup to toy size
pricing going on "rarity of colour, markings, size (smaller the bigger the price I am guessing), and pedigree (it is a crossbreed!!!!)
Having a sale on pups at the moment from $1400
and once bought 48hrs to get it vet checked to cover the 1yr warranty on them
Sound like true lovers of dogs and the cross they are providing.....................................not
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
roll: Crossbreed
that you can buy online by paypal
4-5 litters a year
Teacup to toy size
pricing going on "rarity of colour, markings, size (smaller the bigger the price I am guessing), and pedigree (it is a crossbreed!!!!)
Having a sale on pups at the moment from $1400
and once bought 48hrs to get it vet checked to cover the 1yr warranty on them
Sound like true lovers of dogs and the cross they are providing.....................................not
Now can you see why some people should not be breeding, and people on forums will tell them so.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Would it matter if the person on the forum had been around a while or is it just newbies
It's a newbie thing. You just won't get a seasoned poster asking basic breeding questions.

and what if they know a lot of things to do with breeding but was either looking for support or wanting to make sure a mentor was pointing them in the right direction??
Advanced breeding questions are treated differently, I think.

How do you know if someone is proven mentor or not??
They have achieved success in their field whether that be breeding successful show dogs or working dogs.

Just because they have bred doesn't necessarily make them proven mentor worthy as they could miss a few steps but you may be none the wiser
True but if they have successful record then whatever they are doing is not going to be too far wrong. Once their teachings have been absorbed there is nothing to stop the new breeder researching and improving further.

I just wonder why people are met with hostility at times when they are at least asking questions
I think the reaction generated by a poster's questions depend on the context. If a poster's question is intended to facilitate an ill-considered mating such as "Anybody got a stud?" it will generate more negative reactions than questions which are intended for information gathering such as "How can I tell if my dog is breeding quality?"

It's true that there are better and worse ways of getting a message across.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Now can you see why some people should not be breeding, and people on forums will tell them so.
Yeap I do now, I will say a few things in the last couple of days have highlighted it to me and have to say I am now seeing some valid reasons for trying to deter some from breeding, I guess I just see a couple of threads where the potential breeder is doing all the right things and may voice what they are doing and get shot down but in other cases it may be why people err on the side of caution........................my joke of Maltipoo's is sadly real and one that has taken the smile off my face about it.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeap I do now, I will say a few things in the last couple of days have highlighted it to me and have to say I am now seeing some valid reasons for trying to deter some from breeding, I guess I just see a couple of threads where the potential breeder is doing all the right things and may voice what they are doing and get shot down but in other cases it may be why people err on the side of caution........................my joke of Maltipoo's is sadly real and one that has taken the smile off my face about it.
Its always a tough one when people come on forums for breeding advice, because in an ideal world they wouldnt need to.
But do you tell them not to breed and have them leave the forum and do it all the wrong way or try and help? I've tried to help people before and think they have done everything right after the bitch was mated - But everything really should be done right before the bitch is mated. Its so frustrating when people come on to forums and clearly havent a clue, there vet said there girl should have a litter, they want there children to experience a dog give birth, they want a pup like the mum yada yada.. There not good reason to have a litter, and i would always tell some one that.
Some people do come on here and sound like their doing everything right, but then you have to ask yourselve if their truely doing it all right and have researched why are they asking basic questions on here?. There is a difference with basic breeding questions to them not so common ones.
If people need others (as in on a forum) approval to breed their bitch then i also question why they want to breed in the first place.
Breeding is a subject that will always raise heated debates, because there are so many out there trying to do good by there breed, and others just breeding with out consideration.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I think on breeding any animal whatever species the things needed before breeding are the same
  • People have to have confidence that they have enough experience of the breed/type of animal they are planning to breed,
  • They have to have reasons why they want to breed (and money should not come into this at all IMO),
  • They should have at least one breeder friend who can give advice, including people who can give advice on what they think about the breeders who are giving you advice, and also the lines that you are planning to breed with, there can never be too much for someone to think about before breeding, as to whether its the right thing to do,
  • They should have a waiting list of people who are intrested in any offspring, and not just friends etc,
  • They should be able to take back any off spring, which might mean having to turn down any other animals that they want, a they will always have to be aware that someone can come back,
  • If applicable any health tests should be done (if as I'm still talking about any animal lol).

And I'm sure I've missed some, they're just off the top of my head, breeders should also be welcome any questions about the things above, be willing to give good and bad about whatever type of animal they are wanting to breed, and shuld have their own list of what they want as potential homes for their animals off spring, and be willing to say no if something doesn't sit right. All in all a breeder can never do too much, and should always remember that .

Also maybe people can go onto to forums to gain people who can give them more advice on breeders etc, but if they have to come onto a forum asking basic stuff then they are not ready to breed IMHO, and they need to spend more time doing research before they do bred, if they should
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
It's a newbie thing. You just won't get a seasoned poster asking basic breeding questions.

Advanced breeding questions are treated differently, I think.
They have achieved success in their field whether that be breeding successful show dogs or working dogs.

True but if they have successful record then whatever they are doing is not going to be too far wrong. Once their teachings have been absorbed there is nothing to stop the new breeder researching and improving further.

I think the reaction generated by a poster's questions depend on the context. If a poster's question is intended to facilitate an ill-considered mating such as "Anybody got a stud?" it will generate more negative reactions than questions which are intended for information gathering such as "How can I tell if my dog is breeding quality?"

It's true that there are better and worse ways of getting a message across.
Thanks for the answers Johnerondon I see why it could be bad, and understanding that, if basic questions are being asked it could be a worry, I sometimes think maybe they didn't give enough information, as they maybe asking to clear what they have been shown is correct or to see if they could do something better. There have been some brilliant responses on this thread and think they would be great to anyone asking a question on breeding, as you say there are better and worse ways to get the message across, yet I see the worse way maybe alienate them and they will continue on their breeding idea without having half the information of things to think about and just leave the forum rather than the potential for the forum of some that are knowledgeable on breeding asking twenty questions in a nice way so they don't just turn their computer off and breed anyway. Harm reduction I guess.........
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
"That" argument is true. In all the years I did Lab rescue, 3 were from responsible breeders, who exhibited dogs and one who worked them, ALL took them back when I contacted them, NONE of them were contacted by the owner of the dog, they went to rescue first. I phoned countless breeders who "just had one litter" or did it because they could sell them, and not a single one offered any help at all, oh, except one who lost interest when the bitch I had of hers was spayed and no use to her!
so if rescues werent there to take the dogs, the irresponsible breeders would?? no, they wouldnt coz they dont care about the dogs. targeting and blaming rescues (and those who rehome those dogs) will not stop the irresponsible breeders. someone needs to take the dogs, and if the breeders wont, then we need rescues who will. blame is going on the wrong people!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
so if rescues werent there to take the dogs, the irresponsible breeders would?? no, they wouldnt coz they dont care about the dogs. targeting and blaming rescues (and those who rehome those dogs) will not stop the irresponsible breeders. someone needs to take the dogs, and if the breeders wont, then we need rescues who will. blame is going on the wrong people!
Im sorry, can you point out where I "blamed" a rescue?

Rescues are predominately full of crossbreeds and mongrels, how many of their "breeders" take them back?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Im sorry, can you point out where I "blamed" a rescue?

Rescues are predominately full of crossbreeds and mongrels, how many of their "breeders" take them back?
i didnt say you blamed them, but the original post i replied to said rescues, and those who rehome from a rescue, are supporting irresponsible breeders.

i dont understand what you second point is meant to be about... i didnt say they did...
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »