Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I agree - but a puppy class should be for puppies only. I`d be most unhappy at paying for a training session and having to go at puppy pace.
You dont, the puppies are expected to keep up with the other older dogs.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Apologies for not reading the whole thread, I don't have the energy at the moment

It took me a while to find a class that would let Teagan attend, but when I did, it was great!

Dog agressive dogs wore a red bandanna, and people agressive dogs wore a blue bandanna.
Everyone was told about them, and knew to give them a bit of a 'wide berth'.
They were never let off lead, so never a threat to anyone.

Teagan wore a muzzle for the first 2 weeks, and after that she had improved so much she didn't need one.
Every week we got a bit closer to everyone else, until the 'spacing' between us all was the same, and Teagan even stopped wearing her bandanna

I think it's good if DA dogs can go to a class, (controlled obviously), as how else are they going to get help?!
My trainer is a member on this forum, she may have replied to this with the same as above, if so...sorry!

cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Apologies for not reading the whole thread, I don't have the energy at the moment

It took me a while to find a class that would let Teagan attend, but when I did, it was great!

Dog agressive dogs wore a red bandanna, and people agressive dogs wore a blue bandanna.
That sounds a really good idea I had a dog who was reactive in certain situations so I always try to be sympathetic to the problems of others. I know how often I was made to feel bad esp by people who didn't respect his personal space

The two dogs I have now are very good with other dogs so I'm always willing to help anyone who needs steady dogs for their dog to meet.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The first class I took with my dog there was a DA St. Bernard in the class. She was kept at the opposite side of the room from all the other dogs and muzzled. During the class she worked on standard things like sit and the like, but also rewarded her extensively for staying calm when other dogs came too close. She did seem to improve over the 8 weeks so I didn't have any issues with it. I thought the teacher handled the whole thing very well.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
That sounds a really good idea I had a dog who was reactive in certain situations so I always try to be sympathetic to the problems of others. I know how often I was made to feel bad esp by people who didn't respect his personal space

The two dogs I have now are very good with other dogs so I'm always willing to help anyone who needs steady dogs for their dog to meet.
Glad you understood what I meant!

I didn't explain so well!

They wore the bandanas so everyone knew with a glance if the dog had a problem, and how to 'help' the dog
i.e. not taking your dog up to it, or not stroking it if it was people agressive

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You dont, the puppies are expected to keep up with the other older dogs.
That is not a training class I`d be prepared to go to.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post

Teagan wore a muzzle for the first 2 weeks, and after that she had improved so much she didn't need one.
Every week we got a bit closer to everyone else, until the 'spacing' between us all was the same, and Teagan even stopped wearing her bandanna

I think it's good if DA dogs can go to a class, (controlled obviously), as how else are they going to get help?!
My trainer is a member on this forum, she may have replied to this with the same as above, if so...sorry!

I like that Idea a lot
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't do training classes but I know that two trainers round here take dogs with issues into there.

The first trainer is a clicker trainer who runs a special class for dogs with problems. Very expensive I believe, all dogs have to be muzzled.

Other one has a group class of all ages and levels, run by two people so very flexible, take dogs on a roll on roll off basis, quite cheap I believe, the methods are reward based but incorporate lead corrections and rattle bottles ect.

Obviously in my line of work I don't tend to see the success of these classes! However I see no more failures from either class than from other one to one trainers.

I personnaly believe if you want the best result one to one is the best way to go as the trainer can concentrate on your dog and not have to comprimise. But I would say that lol!!!

Adam
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
That is not a training class I`d be prepared to go to.
You and me both! However a lot of folk dont know otherwise - sadly
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I don't do training classes but I know that two trainers round here take dogs with issues into there.

The first trainer is a clicker trainer who runs a special class for dogs with problems. Very expensive I believe, all dogs have to be muzzled.

Other one has a group class of all ages and levels, run by two people so very flexible, take dogs on a roll on roll off basis, quite cheap I believe, the methods are reward based but incorporate lead corrections and rattle bottles ect.

Obviously in my line of work I don't tend to see the success of these classes! However I see no more failures from either class than from other one to one trainers.

I personnaly believe if you want the best result one to one is the best way to go as the trainer can concentrate on your dog and not have to comprimise. But I would say that lol!!!

Adam
Adam -I totally agree wth you. Some fear aggressive dogs get very stressed out by being in a class amongst other dogs, it does them more harm than good.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >