View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2015, 01:46 PM
PON lady . I would love to know who the behaviourist is and which association she is a member of.
Patandspud would have been given a fully detailed written programme to follow and with out reading it myself , I'm reluctant to judge. The behaviourist has contacted her but she is not going to be able to offer more or point out if Pat has been following the programme in the way the behaviourist meant unless pat tells her. I really dont think she is doing it for the money.

Grisha did have a yahoo group , so that might be worth checking out . She wrote a whole book about LAT so i expect there is far more to it than I know of , and I expect BAT is a refinement of it .

I think you can take bits and pieces and develop your own programme to follow if you have some experience and confidence. You dont have to follow everything exactly.

£40 is a very good fee. In my area its generally £60 for two hours for a trainer or there are two local COAPE behaviourists.
patandspud
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I've printed off the info for BAT and although I've tried some of this before, I hadn't tried the long leash bit - so I did it this morning! I think it must have been a relief for her not having to walk by my left leg the whole time! It was also more enjoyable for me. I'm still training with her, but will definitely incorporate this BAT into it. I love the "Find It", throwing treats on the floor for distraction! I looked for a trainer, but there isn't one anywhere near me. It would be nice to have a trigger dog to work with, as I agree it's much harder without! However I'll just have to use the dogs that are out with their owners even though I can't control their distance (only my own!)
patandspud
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Sorry Dibbythedog, I've only just seen your post! She has sent me a detailed programme, which I will re-read tonight in case I've missed something, but I was a bit disappointed on the day because nearly everything she told me was exactly what other trainers had told me. So I assumed it's me that's at fault, I haven't been doing enough of the hard work. Looking for a quick fix I suppose. Bit like my diet... looking for something that doesn't involve eating less and moving more... I'll have another read and report next time.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2015, 03:36 PM
No ones at fault here. Its a question of communication.

There is always basic advice that every trainer will give so old ground does get covered but I would have expected more from her.
Some is difficult to implement, keep a loose leash when you see other dogs , how do you do that when there's a berserk dog pulling at the end of it.
Anyway , hopefully the BAT will help!

As to cesar millan, he used to give reactive dogs a prod/kick with his foot in the under regions he's not as miraculous as he seems .
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by patandspud View Post
I've printed off the info for BAT and although I've tried some of this before, I hadn't tried the long leash bit - so I did it this morning! I think it must have been a relief for her not having to walk by my left leg the whole time! It was also more enjoyable for me. I'm still training with her, but will definitely incorporate this BAT into it. I love the "Find It", throwing treats on the floor for distraction! I looked for a trainer, but there isn't one anywhere near me. It would be nice to have a trigger dog to work with, as I agree it's much harder without! However I'll just have to use the dogs that are out with their owners even though I can't control their distance (only my own!)
Is there a dog walking club near you? Might be worth searching one out via the net, contacting the organizer and explaining what you're working on with your dog. You might well find volunteers to act as a stooge, and if you meet up with them regularly you might find your girl makes some doggie pals! You might even be able to offer to act as a stooge for someone else's dog!

I'm so glad the long lead made things more comfortable. I found the same thing although gathering it up/paying it out is a big of a juggling act, as I walk with a stick! Far easier to let it trail but during the winter, it does get muddy, yeuch!

Good idea to encourage searching with her nose! Sounds like that could be a game you could build on, hiding toys for her to find or playing hide and seek with her. She'll love it!

It sounds to me as if you are on your way, and I forsee success just around the corner. She sounds very intelligent and she clearly loves to engage with you. Do you have a pic of her? I'd love to see her!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2015, 03:22 AM
I like all of PONlady's advice! I'd never heard of BAT training before she posted about it, but the ideas behind it are things I've learned from my dogs and my reading and my own thinking. Setting them up to succeed, even in small things, builds confidence, in themselves and in you as their trusted leader! Every victory is a step in the right direction.

Miracles work for good telly, but they hardly ever occur in real life. Time and patience are the only really tried and true remedies. It may be the case that she never gets completely over her problems, never turns into the jumpy, happy, overly friendly dog like that Labrador down the street-- but that's okay. She has her own personality, and you know her better than anyone else. You're clearly committed to her-- you're doing a great job! Keep at it. Time, time, patience, patience. It will win out.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5