View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Mand P your list is correct but in most of the points there are other ways of dealing with the problem like good husbandry.

It is true you can't get cancer in a gland you do not have so yes if you remove the testis you will not get testicular cancer, the same would apply if you remove the stomach you will not get stomach cancer.

It is also now thought that Prostate cancer is more common in dogs that have been castrated than those who have not.

All I would ever ask of someone is that they consider if their reason for castrating are strong enough to take the risk that their dog may be one of those who will suffer side effects.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2005, 02:34 PM
thanx mandp but if that list says the best age is between 6-12 months and so do the vets why does nobody agree with this
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Because those of us who have tried it, most because of vets recommendation, have found it is not a good idea.

If you need to castrate because of some good reason then do it when the dog is fully-grown and mentally mature, if there is not a pressing reason then enjoy your dog for what he is, you bought a male canine I would think because that is what you wanted, and that is what you have. If your circumstances have changed and you now need to castrate then wait as long as you can, if you wait long enough you will find in most cases that it is no longer necessary.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2005, 06:17 PM
My 2 collies were done when they were 6 and 4

My vet had no qualms with me having Tets done at 15 months Katyb so i'm as lost as you are
I found this information on other sites and just posted them so you could see two sides
I'm having Tetley done because it is right for our situation.
Katy..you must do the same
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2005, 11:48 PM
i did want a male dog because i have always found them in my experience to be more lovig and he is but he also humps anything that stays still for more than a second and feels the need to wee on every single blade of grass, twig, tree, lampost and is always stopping on walks and we dont get anywhere he is obsessive!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2005, 08:29 PM
toby was like that every post we came across and round the block could take over 30 mins but it does get better.
you have to do what you think is right for him katy
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 09:28 PM
You don't need me to tell you Katy - you just do what you think is right for you, the family and Max. He'll be fine, I'm sure.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 09:33 PM
thanks hilary x
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 09:35 PM
what r all ur views on speying bitches? i am in same dilemma as katy.

Indie is now 9 months, and if i were to have her spayed i wud get her done after her first season.

I really dont know wot to do as i dont kno what the risks are.
I dont plan on breeding, but i dont feel that havin blood dripping round the house being a problem.

However, i do worry about pyometra, but im also worrying about the effects and dangers of surgery
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2005, 09:40 PM
if i had a bitch i would def have her done no questions as i would be terrified of an accidental mating
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5