Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I melt half a pound of lard (36 pence) with bird seed and sultanas in a pie dish and let it set. The bigger birds like Blackbirds, Pigeons and Thrushes who can't use hanging fatballs love it.
They love it don't they, I used to get the grand-kids onto making them when they were smaller.

I spent a fortune yesterday on nutritious bird food. I have put it in dishes around the garden.
Today it is lashing down with rain. The seeds are floating in rain water and the Meal worms are doing the breast stroke
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Wow! 3 robins all on the same fence!!! Watch out, there's gonna be a fight!!! They have their very own territories, and woe betide any other little robin that ventures into another one's territory, unless they're going to mate of course, then you'll have to have two won't you

I've just got back from a walk, and sadly, I saw two dead blackbirds, just lying in the snow on my walk They obviously didn't eat enough yesterday to keep them warm overnight, so I'm stepping up the food outside for my lot.

They're eating me out of house and home here! I still have that funny little wagtail bobbing about, loads and loads of blackbirds, some of them fighting and of course the little robin who's bossing them about, but I cannot understand we don't have any bluetits or coaltits anymore, whereas years ago we were inundated with them

I stopped doing the fatballs coz that seemed to attract the rats (I live in the country!) but I think I might start again with those. My birds only like those half coconut shells filled with the fat, they won't eat the fatballs Oh and talking of fatballs, please remember to take off that netting, coz they get their little feet stuck in it and you don't want that!
I didn't know that about Robins! but then I don't know much at all about birds other than keep seeing all these different ones since the snow (maybe they are just more noticeable in the snow) so I don't know if it was our regular robin with 2 mates or what!
We can't can't say "bird" in the house as Tilly lanches herself at the window so we call them feathery friends, but Tilly has been out hunting round the garden for any dropped bits of cake - the little scavenger she is!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
We need to keep a close eye on Mo too. Bird food seems to taste better than dog food She does come in handy for keeping the garden seagull free though.
(I think Robins are more inclined to fight in the breeding season. We have 2 resident in our garden)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
We need to keep a close eye on Mo too. Bird food seems to taste better than dog food She does come in handy for keeping the garden seagull free though.
(I think Robins are more inclined to fight in the breeding season. We have 2 resident in our garden)
Oh you don't know how pleased I am to hear you've got lashings of rain there Jen, coz it's all heading our way and they just don't know yet if it's going to be yet MORE of the white stuff or rain!!!

I watched The One Show the other night, and they had done a survey on the robins in one large area. They followed them with camera's and can't remember what else, but they then showed a big map, which proved that they had designated areas, and that's the only reason why I know this now! The only time you'll have two together is a male and female, otherwise robins will fight to the death if another male bird enters it's area and gets spotted - apparently! Lol!

I can't believe just how many times I've thrown food outside today, and they're still there, desperate trying to find the last scrapings before they go off to bed in the cold. I'm lucky with the dogs, coz this area is at the side of my house where the dogs could never get to, so even if I end up with rats again, and have to get the rat man out, at least I know the dogs won't be in danger of catching anything.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
One thing I miss is watching garden birds. We really don't have anywhere suitable to feed them here, as we only have a small garden and one of our cats is a hunter, so I don't want to attract them. Hopefully in the next house we will be able to have bird feeders. It's lovely to watch them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:59 PM
We sell wild bird feeds all year around, in large quantities, at my work but we sold a TON of it over the weekend. So, people are definitely doing their bit.

I'd love to feed the wild birds but with three cats and three dogs (two of whom love chasing birds) it wouldn't be fair!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5