Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
"as for what dew claws are for..yes i do know thanks..do u? rear dewclaws are for nothing and do not move independently to grip anything,they are not even in the right position to do what u say and ]thats even if they are attached like the front ones."

It is customary when one is wrong to acknowledge that fact Tupacs
whats wrong? note the underlined bit EVEN if attached like the front ones...they still serve no purpose Gnasher..why dont u admit U are wrong they are not meant to be there they still serve no purpose no matter how they are attached
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Not always the case I think you will find, my Northern Inuit Dita has firmly attached, fully boned rear dew claws.
the post u quoted of mine was referring to MY rescue sibe.

and what does Dita use hers for?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
whats wrong? note the underlined bit EVEN if attached like the front ones...they still serve no purpose Gnasher..why dont u admit U are wrong they are not meant to be there they still serve no purpose no matter how they are attached
You obviously missed reading what I had said about dewclaws, so here it is again, in bold, so you cannot miss it:

Clearly, you do not know the biological function of dew claws so let me enlighten you. Dew claws are vestigial toes and are used by dogs and cats in the wild as an aid to hunting by "hooking" them into their prey as an extra aid to bringing the prey down. They also aid cornering at high speed which is fascinating, because I don't understand quite how this works at all.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:32 AM

O dear, tut tut, naughty angelmist for DARING to quote Tupacs post

I have obviously misinterpreted what the "quote" button is for
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
You obviously missed reading what I had said about dewclaws, so here it is again, in bold, so you cannot miss it:

Clearly, you do not know the biological function of dew claws so let me enlighten you. Dew claws are vestigial toes and are used by dogs and cats in the wild as an aid to hunting by "hooking" them into their prey as an extra aid to bringing the prey down. They also aid cornering at high speed which is fascinating, because I don't understand quite how this works at all.
for one last time you are talking normal dew claws .. not REAR DEW CLAWS can u not understand Gnasher? REAR DEW CLAWS DO NOT SERVE A PURPOSE
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
O dear, tut tut, naughty angelmist for DARING to quote Tupacs post

I have obviously misinterpreted what the "quote" button is for
you are getting a bit pathetic
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
How interesting, I've only ever seen the floppy ones angelmist. Does Dita ever have problems with them?
Nope never.

Sorry must have missed that was attempting to multi-task whilst reading, something I'm not very good at

Dita doesn't use them anymore than Misty uses her useless floppy ones, they are just there.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Nope never.

Sorry must have missed that was attempting to multi-task whilst reading, something I'm not very good at

Dita doesn't use them anymore than Misty uses her useless floppy ones, they are just there.
schhh..your a women, course u can multitask
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Gnasher - for the front dew claws they are like thumbs - the bones all fit together like the bones in the hand and that stabalises the joint - if removed there can be greater chances of arthritis due to the joint rotating

At high speed the wrist bends back a bit alowing the front dew claws to be in contact with the ground (someone had a great photo of this with their dog - I cant remember who)
Both these things help the dog corner at speed

But the floppy non bony hind ones this is not the case. I guess if a rear dew claw is boned and firmly attached then removing it will also destabalise the joint so I wouldnt
also if they are no trouble I would leave them alone, but most rear dew claws are just floppy bits of skin with a nail really, they have no use - they simply couldnt hold on to anything because they are just floppy - but some dogs catch them on things - and if that is the case then i would remove them
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Gnasher - for the front dew claws they are like thumbs - the bones all fit together like the bones in the hand and that stabalises the joint - if removed there can be greater chances of arthritis due to the joint rotating

At high speed the wrist bends back a bit alowing the front dew claws to be in contact with the ground (someone had a great photo of this with their dog - I cant remember who)
Both these things help the dog corner at speed

But the floppy non bony hind ones this is not the case. I guess if a rear dew claw is boned and firmly attached then removing it will also destabalise the joint so I wouldnt
also if they are no trouble I would leave them alone, but most rear dew claws are just floppy bits of skin with a nail really, they have no use - they simply couldnt hold on to anything because they are just floppy - but some dogs catch them on things - and if that is the case then i would remove them
I have a photo of Honey running, I don't know if thats the one you mean, I can also get hold of a NI doing it too, that ones better, but it may take me a while to find it.

ETA found it, two NI's playing on a beach, if you look you can see the dog in fronts dew claw touching the sand,

Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >