Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
. The fact we have not signed up to the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals speaks volumes

Have you been to any of these countries lately

Take a look at how they treat their pet dogs/pets........

Go to Portugal/ Spain.. (pick a country) take a look a tall the pet dogs (most xbreeds, but not all) wandering the streets, with crippled legs, tumors the size of footballs, covered in fleas, cataracts.... the list is endless....

Some will be stray dogs, but most have owners, they are turfed out, to fend for themselves, in the day...or tied up to chains to gaurd property 24/7

Now why would we wish to belong to such an organisation.... not doing much for the welfare of these dogs are they.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I was very proud to own KC registered dogs. However, after watching that programme, my pride has shrunk somewhat! What does buying a KC registered pup really mean - not much from what I see and hear! Sounds to me like the KC like to take our money but don't actually provide much of a service to owners/dogs/breeders. In other European Countries, I believe that litter details are checked more thoroughly. I actually heard of a Breeder in the UK that reported to the KC that her Stud's reg no had been used as Sire of litter and that her boy had nothing to do with the litter at all. Apparently the KC were not interested and did absolutely nothing to correct it! Not very reassuring. In my opinion, any Organisation that agrees with culling a dog that isn't entirely to breed standard (as in the Ridgeback case) is an Organisation that I for one find grotesque and cruel. The KC needs a major shake-up in my humble opinion!
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Have you been to any of these countries lately

Take a look at how they treat their pet dogs/pets........

Go to Portugal/ Spain.. (pick a country) take a look a tall the pet dogs (most xbreeds, but not all) wandering the streets, with crippled legs, tumors the size of footballs, covered in fleas, cataracts.... the list is endless....

Some will be stray dogs, but most have owners, they are turfed out, to fend for themselves, in the day...or tied up to chains to gaurd property 24/7

Now why would we wish to belong to such an organisation.... not doing much for the welfare of these dogs are they.
Neither Spain or Portugal have signed up to the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals

If you'd like to compare how about comparing us to Sweden who have signed up to the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals. Who now have strict guidelines on breeding with an strong emphasis on welfare and health. As a result they also don't have a problem with overflowing rescues or puppyfarms.

The UK was going to sign up in the nineties but pressure from the KC and certain breed clubs caused the government to pull out - Typical!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Neither Spain or Portugal have signed up to the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals

If you'd like to compare how about comparing us to Sweden who have signed up to the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals. Who now have strict guidelines on breeding with an strong emphasis on welfare and health. As a result they also don't have a problem with overflowing rescues or puppyfarms.

The UK was going to sign up in the nineties but pressure from the KC and certain breed clubs caused the government to pull out - Typical!
which breed clubs were they?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Thats not what it says here.... it must be wrong????????

Tail docking is allowed in the breeds whose approved standards require docking. Portugal signed the European Convention on Cruelty Against Animals, but made a reserve clause on the tail-docking ban issue.
The various Animal's Protection Societies active in Portugal have never given up the lobby against tail-docking. So they are still active, lobbying government and Parliament circles in order to ensure that Portugal accepts fully the European Convention banning tail-docking in dogs altogether through internal legislation approved by Parliament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...of_Pet_Animals

Some of these Countries have appalling animal cruelty practices.

And you would like us to be associated with them
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 01:18 PM
You're right I missed the Portugal one.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And you would like us to be associated with them
It's not about being associated with them, it's about putting health and welfare first for our dogs. Why would we as a country not sign up to a convention designed to protect the welfare of dogs. Why? because we care more about what we can gain from them instead of putting their needs first.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
You're right I missed the Portugal one.

It's not about being associated with them, it's about putting health and welfare first for our dogs. Why would we as a country not sign up to a convention designed to protect the welfare of dogs. Why? because we care more about what we can gain from them instead of putting their needs first.
what exactly does the goverment gain from dogs?
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
what exactly does the goverment gain from dogs?
When I say "we" I mean "breeders". Breeders want the freedom to continue linebreeding, breeding for defomities etc. The UK were all set up to sign up with the ECPPA when the KC and breed clubs kicked up a fuss about a ban on tail docking being in the convention. The convention has since been amended and the RSPCA later helped bring about a ban on tail docking anyway. There is no reason not to sign up. The fact that we haven't speaks volumes.

Shona and Jackbox Why would you choose not to sign up to the Covenvention for the protection of pet animals?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
When I say "we" I mean "breeders". Breeders want the freedom to continue linebreeding, breeding for defomities etc. The UK were all set up to sign up with the ECPPA when the KC and breed clubs kicked up a fuss about a ban on tail docking being in the convention. The convention has since been amended and the RSPCA later helped bring about a ban on tail docking anyway. There is no reason not to sign up. The fact that we haven't speaks volumes.

Shona and Jackbox Why would you choose not to sign up to the Covenvention for the protection of pet animals?
we dont choose.. thats down to the goverment.. not breeders.. or in JB's case pet owners.. It makes no diff to my way of doing things with my dogs if the UK does sign up you have an issue about breeders.. we get it!! honestly we do
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
you know nothing about what I would choose or not choose.. so please dont make assumptions on my part
Page 49 of 65 « First < 39 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 59 > Last »