Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Paddywack, has anyone other than you used the phrase....
breeders should be given freedom to do as they please regardless of whether their practice is damaging
..I think not . I have already stated on many occasions that breeding should be carefully regulated and all breeding stock tested.
I still think people should have the freedom to buy puppies of their choosing from good breeders and that we should not be dictated to by 'extremists' who don't think any dogs should be bred at all only accidental litters , and that we should all take on only rescue dogs many the product of bad ownership and puppy farmers .
Completely different argument. This topic is about the damaging practice carried out by the "good breeders" trying to deter from that argument unfortunately makes you look worse. If you want to be considered as good breeders then breed for health instead of damaging it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
Completely different argument. This topic is about the damaging practice carried out by the "good breeders" trying to deter from that argument unfortunately makes you look worse. If you want to be considered as good breeders then breed for health instead of damaging it.
Correction, this topic is about the damaging practises carried out by bad breeders.
Paddywack ,I reiterate I am not a breeder and have not been involved with breeding for many years..
How do you know good breeders don't already breed for health? By the very definition a good breeder is someone who already tests and breeds with care.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Paddywack ,I reiterate I am not a breeder and have not been involved with breeding for many years..
How do you know good breeders don't already breed for health? By the very definition a good breeder is someone who already tests and breeds with care. Correction, this topic is about bad breeders who don't breed with care, you appear not to know the difference between the two.
Health testing is commendable but if you continue as you are, health testing or not, it'll get you no where. There are far more hereditary diseases than there are health tests for, even if you were to create health tests for every hereditary disease going, you simply can not keep reducing the gene pools thinking you'll get a healthier dog.

Linebreeding is a practice carried out by the so called "good breeders" not the bad breeders. Reducing gene pools further is causing more health problems than breeding without health tests.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
How do you know good breeders don't already breed for health? By the very definition a good breeder is someone who already tests and breeds with care.
I think there is a simple answer to that... do your research, good breeders will be willing to show you all documentation for all health screening of their dogs...and I am sure there must be a few around.... as most pedigrees are healthy and living happy lives...

But something tells me ,Minni, we are going round in circles, as closed minds have no intention of opening!!
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But something tells me ,Minni, we are going round in circles, as closed minds have no intention of opening!!
Exactly, and the poor dogs suffer as a result.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Health testing is commendable but if you continue as you are, health testing or not, it'll get you no where. There are far more hereditary diseases than there are health tests for, even if you were to create health tests for every hereditary disease going, you simply can not keep reducing the gene pools thinking you'll get a healthier dog.

Linebreeding is a practice carried out by the so called "good breeders" not the bad breeders. Reducing gene pools further is causing more health problems than breeding without health tests.
OK, so that being said, where will the practice of X breeding help!! if we cant or do not know of hidden diseases how will opening the gene pool to a huge melting pot help.

Those hidden genes will just have a wider circle to run through. if you cant test for it, you dont know where it is, adding more and more hereditary problems .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Exactly, and the poor dogs suffer as a result.
Not forgetting the added problem of all the Xbreeding you propose
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2008, 10:01 AM
:Sigh: I'm exhausted; I may or may not come back to this thread. For those who genuinely care please read through this site

http://www.canine-genetics.com/

(read through the links at the bottom of the page)
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Are you really suggesting putting to unheatlhy breeds together will result in 1 good x breed. Have you ever suggested tested the x breeds for the relevent health test or are you aassuming that wont be needed.
By the way look at the NI this is a result of mixing breeds and its no heathier than your average pedigree. And before you quote line breeding reading the NI threads I imo the problem occured long before line breeding (apologises to the NI breeders on here by the way).
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 10:43 AM
paddywack, I have had two litters, to date, none of these pups I have produced have had health problems,
the first litter is almost 4 years old,
the second litter just over two years old,

why when I have had not one pup suffer from illness as yet should I change my practice of breeding?

Do any of your pedigree dogs have genetic illness?
Page 46 of 65 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 56 > Last »