Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Something to think about.

I was speaking to a gamekeeper on Saturday night. He told me that his aim when lamping foxes is always shoot to kill, instantly if at all possible. However, on one particular occasion, he shot at a fox and knew it was wounded but then it disappeared. Two days later he caught it in one of his snares. One of it's front legs had been totally obliterated by the shot

As much as I can't stomach hunting foxes with dogs, how on earth can I think that is better?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Awful, just awful, even to think about it I know. The trouble is Kirsty, the farmers/lampers will do that anyway, whether we had the hunting ban or NOT! According to them, there are far more undesirable foxes on their land than the hunt could hope to get in any season, so sadly, this will always go on, terrible as it is!!! You need to speak to a farmer next and see what he says, I bet I'm right!!!

I hope in my lifetime foxes become an endangoured species (as doubtful as that might be!)and let them repent at their leisure then for all these wrongs they do, coz to ME, it is all wrong!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I know exactly what you are saying Helen.

I also spoke to a shepherd on a neighbouring estate to where I live. That estate is not keepered at all. He said pretty much the same as my hubby - if the foxes don't bother him (ie take lambs) then he doesn't bother them. If only everyone could take that attitude.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
IN an ideal world Kirsty!!! I have that phylosophy in life too, if it aint broke, don't fix it!!!!
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
This debate will be about forever, we all have our own veiws, im a pro to hunting, was brought up that way, will stay that way and my children will be brought up that way.

My ancesters hunted, killed and ate their own food, they also killed the animals that would jeopadise their food.

One day the world will be back to how it was years ago, we kill our own food, we get rid of our enemies.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Something to think about.

I was speaking to a gamekeeper on Saturday night. He told me that his aim when lamping foxes is always shoot to kill, instantly if at all possible. However, on one particular occasion, he shot at a fox and knew it was wounded but then it disappeared. Two days later he caught it in one of his snares. One of it's front legs had been totally obliterated by the shot

As much as I can't stomach hunting foxes with dogs, how on earth can I think that is better?
I understand what you are saying, this type of thing is always a worry with shooting. Its a reason I belive hunting with dogs is the best way, killed pretty much instantly if caught, if dug to, despatched immediately and if escapes is completely unharmed.
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Hunting is an abhorrent past time,all done
in the name of sport and is damn cruel,but
then so are people,I have no time for the
ones that do this or any other blood sport.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Was that a poem?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by cally View Post
Hunting is an abhorrent past time,all done
in the name of sport and is damn cruel,but
then so are people,I have no time for the
ones that do this or any other blood sport.
Im surprised you had the time to reply! Great ditty!
packleader
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
If I was on a island stranded with no others means of getting food. I would hunt kill and cook my food. We don't have to do it when the shops are near by. Killing foxes with dogs is not a quick death. If my dog chased and killed some thing it would be quick. I don't need to make a day of it.
Page 46 of 94 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 56 > Last »