View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe that is because I've owned poodles all my life. I have trained them and plan to breed them. A breed that I have loved all my life is being bred with anything that moves so why shouldn't I get anoyed and have my own personal views that I'm perfectly allowed to share?

I don't think you would be amused if your 'breed' started getting bred with everything else would you? But then it depends how devoted you are!!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I think I have been misunderstood here. I dont mind discussing my dog, or others like it at all. I wouldn't mind answering questions from people who are thinking of buying one, the pro's and con's etc. I welcome genuine questions about them, and am happy to help and give whatever information I have about them.

I will chat till the cows come home about Bobby - be warned!!

I was never suggesting that talk, exchange of info and general chat about these (or any other dog) should be banned - that would be ludicrous.

This thread was started by someone who seemed to ask a genuine question and just a general chat about a tv programme. It was refreshing to see to be honest.

Unfortunately, and perhaps inevitably, people started to not talk about the tv programme, but make comments like "Because they are mongrels and I don't agree with them., Any money for them is silly money or I'm slating people who buy them because without demand there would be none.

I appreciate that this is a personal view, but I do not see this sort of comment being made against any other dog on here, only about these particular types, or against any other dog owner.
i think you'll find most people on here are just concerned that these crosses are just being bred for one reason alone and thats to make money, nobody is actually against the dogs themselves or even the owners.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
i think you'll find most people on here are just concerned that these crosses are just being bred for one reason alone and thats to make money, nobody is actually against the dogs themselves or even the owners.
Nope not against the owners, or dogs.. Just concerned the 'hows' and 'whys' alot of them are being brought Into the world.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Maybe that is because I've owned poodles all my life. I have trained them and plan to breed them. A breed that I have loved all my life is being bred with anything that moves so why shouldn't I get anoyed and have my own personal views that I'm perfectly allowed to share?

I don't think you would be amused if your 'breed' started getting bred with everything else would you? But then it depends how devoted you are!!
i know how you feel Blu, my breed is exploited to death and crossed with just about everything!
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
i know how you feel Blu, my breed is exploited to death and crossed with just about everything!
Most of the breeders are more worried about what kind of fancy name they can come up with rather than what the temprement of the pups or even the health of them and the parents will be like..

Puppy farmers have ruined poodles too. Cheeko is an example of it. Lots of breeds from these places don't really look like their breeds as such because they don't care what lines etc they are mixing.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
Because they are mongrels and I don't agree with them., Any money for them is silly money or I'm slating people who buy them because without demand there would be none.

I appreciate that this is a personal view, but I do not see this sort of comment being made against any other dog on here, only about these particular types, or against any other dog owner.
I've not misunderstood, I understand perfectly.

I've previously been there with the dogs I once owned at first it did bother me, I soon learned not to take those comments to heart though, I realise what may be my cup of tea may not be someone elses..each to their own. I genuinely do think the above comments are taken way too much to heart - they are just words, they can't hurt you

I probably paid double for my own dog years ago than what any ''Doodle'' or ''Cockerpoo'' type was worth, my money, up to me the way I spent it.
Thing is, although there is mass breeding taking place with those dogs it's nowhere near on the level of ''Doodle'' or ''Poo'' types, I think that is what gets to people, and that I do fully understand. When I purchased my own dog years ago, there were hardly any about, now they are becoming popular which is heartbreaking as the quality of the dogs produced is being lost - which is where things start going on a slippery slope, I'd never have another one of those dogs again through choice, there's just too many poor examples being thrown into the gene pool, so there is a problem.

For the years I owned my dogs, I learned after a while NEVER to take things personally, better just switching the PC off and coming back to the thread when you've cooled down. If I found threads too offensive concerning the dogs I once owned, I just wouldn't bother replying to them, whats the point ? If you start getting personal, or take things personal and reply like a bull to a red rag, theres a couple of things that are going to happen - and it's really not worth the aggro.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Monty'smum There will always be debated topics re Doodle type dogs on every forum as they seem to be a fad and also there are soo many numpty pet owners deciding to breed a doodle of some sorts. You only have too look at pet selling sites and there are always pages upon pages of said dogs/pups.
As for people with pedigree dogs being upset by their choice of breed being used in these mixes Well I can understand. Its only been tis past year that I have noticed litters of pups that have been crossed with my chosen breed Hairless Cresteds.
Think about it Monty'smum How would you really feel if you had spend time, effort, money to promote/ improve your breed only to start reading that it was being used willy nilly to whatever and then it gets a silly name to boot.
Cockerpoos have indeed been getting bred for years now, starting in the USA and it is a big thing over there. What if you decided to try and spend years promoting/ improving on the Cockerpoo and all of a sudden there was adverts left right and centre with Cockerpoos being mated with totally unsuitable mates for nothing other than money How would you feel?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
My problem is, and always will be, with those people that are the direct opposite of the above. Those who lie and decieve people about the dog they're getting, those who can't be bothered to research what they're getting, then dump it in rescue when it doesn't turn out right for them. Those who sell dogs for money and nothing else, and those who buy the dogs because they're in fassion.

It seems that it is now the turn of the cross breed to be exploited by the greedy and the idiotic.

On a lighter note.

Why cockerpoo, why not cockerdoodle, come on, I'd have far more fun calling them the latter, esp if I owned one, though that probably cos I've got a terrible sence of humour sometimes.

Well, it can't be worse than bullsh1tz can it?.
Agree with you there also, as the love for pets continues in the UK it seems its only the dogs that are suffering.

Thats why I will always stand by people when looking for their first dog need education on finding the right dog for them and on how to find a responsible breeder whether be cross or ped. More needs to be done legislation/law anything to prevent the continual struggles of pets. However even then as we have found with banned breeds is minimal to none Although would at least help substantially and more people would learn from it.

Not a clue on the name front . I use it to describe because it seems the most generic and recognised even though its term is of course not a recognised breed.

And I always have to laugh when someone says they own a bullsh1tz
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post

tbh i know a lot of people in your position who the "fad" has upset, especially for a lot of people who are now losing business as people are looking to the crosses rather than your breed standard poodle

I just feel as long as they are being ethically breed from and the owner is 100% positive it is the cross they want are not being misled then it cant be the worst thing to happen to the dog community.

But I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you. Just dont feel it should be put on those who are trying to go about things the right way. For those who are trying to exploit the poodle by spreading lies mis-selling, puppy farming by all means fire away. I just wanted to make people aware if they are willing to do the proper searching which I would do for any pup whether cross or ped they can find good ethical breeders.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 10:43 PM
At Blu.

Whilst this may be the first thread on this subject you've seen, it certainly isn't the first, there have been several to date.

At no one specific.

I don't think disgussions of 'designer' dogs should be banned, just like I don't think disgussions of wolf lookalikes should be banned as some would like.

We debate dogs, training, health, genetics, temperament, breeding, showing, and the breeds/mixes themselves. Yes, some threads get quite heated, but what do you expect, people are passionate on both sides, it stands to reason that people will sometimes come to blows on a subject. People just have to learn to roll with the punches, or if they can't, then don't read/join the threads, or utalise the ignore feature.

There's no reason to go round banning topics from disgussion, for something as normal as people having a difference of opinion. People have different opinions, people debate them, people argue sometimes, thats life, its perfectly normal behaviour imo. I'd find it quite creepy if everyone played nice all the time lol.

As voltaire once said. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Page 45 of 53 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 > Last »