Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, fir my two penneth worth..

I can see no reason to keep a pet dog on a chain.

Working dogs also need love. Most old time shepherds would spend the days on the hills, then go home WITH THEIR DOG to their house. Maybe because it was the tool of their trade, but they took their dog into their home. They did not leave it outside on a chain. How could you have a decent bond with an animal you chained up outside? And you need to bond with a dog you are going to rely on for your livelihood. Not as a passtime.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I think there is a huge difference between dogs tethered (or kenneled) around each other and one dog tethered on its own.

Just to have a bit of interaction with another living being for most of the day is important IMO.

Regardless of anything else.

rune
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
So as a vegetarian you find it more ethical to pump your dog full of steroids (which are tested on animals) than try and combat a problem using a natural alternative?!
I'm not saying it would work, but I would definitely be worth considering surely!?
I'm not saying testing on animals is good in any way shape or form it just seems like hypocrisy. Also, happy to feed the rubbish parts of the animal if they come in little biscuit shapes not looking like a dead animal!?
That's like saying my dog is getting fat but I'm not in a position to take it for a walk.

I'd also consider a second vet opinion; I can't see how bathing a dog 5-6 times a day would be good for their skin or coat, especially if using anything with chemicals in. Also, out of curiosity why steroids over immuno-suppressants if it's an allergy?
Obviously not your vet so can't comment.

On point, if I had a working farm I would have working dogs, I wouldn't bathe them daily but would give them the option to sleep inside. From the ones I have met some like sleeping inside, some don't. Given I'd be spending all day interacting with the dog I don't see how it can feel unloved?
I'd never chain a dog though, I'd put the money in to make a secure area for them.

A pet dog kept in a crate and taken for an hour walk everyday may feel unloved, I could see that.

My dog is indoors, he is people dependant and I like having him in as part of the family.
No reread what I wrote ! He is allergic to several cheaper options of meat, I am an office cleaner not a millioniare I can't afford to feed more expensive than I do now and the vet luckily understands and listens to me when I say that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Ah you mean an affinity? Why didn't you say so!!! :mrgreen:

No. I believe that a working dog has a selected genetic trait called biddability which, when coupled with the selected genetic trait for a form of work results in a dog that loves to work with humans, but for the end result of the work. In fact I do believe that one of the traits bred into WSDs is to always keep the sheep between it and it's handler. This is not something that is trained, it is instinctual IME.

In essence I believe that you are trying to make out that the WSD would rather spend it's days following around it's Human looking lovingly into it's eyes, but the reality is these dogs are bred specifically to stare lovingly in to the eyes of Ovis Aries.
There was no need , you corrected it for me, and knew what I meant, yet needed to use ridicule to labour your point...sad really that "grown adults" need to go to such a level (your words remember, earlier in the thread), but hey ho, you answered in the end.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
Do you take your dogs to work then because if you both work 12/16 hours a day, sleep for 8 there's only 4 hours left to spend with your dogs! Thats a lot less time than a WSD spends with a Shepherd.
No my husband and I work alternate shifts I work nights and he works days that just leaves one hour a day every few weeks we are both out. I also don't sleep 8 hours - I nod off throughout the day usually manage to capture 4 hours or so in small increments.

Honestly my last post on this as people are making up more than they are reading on both sides.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
No reread what I wrote ! He is allergic to several cheaper options of meat, I am an office cleaner not a millioniare I can't afford to feed more expensive than I do now and the vet luckily understands and listens to me when I say that.
I'm sorry if I sound very harsh in this but not being able to afford a diet is just not an excuse in my books.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Well, fir my two penneth worth..

I can see no reason to keep a pet dog on a chain.

Working dogs also need love. Most old time shepherds would spend the days on the hills, then go home WITH THEIR DOG to their house. Maybe because it was the tool of their trade, but they took their dog into their home. They did not leave it outside on a chain. How could you have a decent bond with an animal you chained up outside? And you need to bond with a dog you are going to rely on for your livelihood. Not as a passtime.
Where and when are these shepherds you are talking about? I've known them to allow old dogs to live in and younger dogs to be in the kitchen in extreme weather, but I am certainly not aware of it being common place for working sheepdogs to live inside on a permanent basis.

As to how you can have a bond with a dog who doesn't live in the house.....well none of the shepherds I know allow the dogs to live in the house (as I say except oldies) yet the bond they have is pretty amazing.

you are right though that there needs to be a bond because the shepherd needs the dog. They do therefore tend to look after them, but not to mollycoddle them
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Really?!
Yes , really, I know how Moobli reacts when this subject is active, its been done before, so no surprise to me when she starts losing her cool.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I'm sorry if I sound very harsh in this but not being able to afford a diet is just not an excuse in my books.
Actually that is harsh. You do the best you can with what you have.

I couldn't afford the best for my dogs when I was on JSA so they had cheap rubbish food. Then I started working and now they are fed what I can afford to feed.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
When posts start to get personally nasty and silly, the debate is over.
Shame. Important and informative posts are being lost in a muddle of nastiness and silliness. Very sad.

As I have said and will
Continue to say, chaining a dog is,
In my opinion, cruel.
I have no issue with dogs being kennelled ifthe kennels are well designed with the dog's welfare as priority.

Not all working dogs have a great life. Not all
Pet dogs do either. It is up to the more responsible
ones to try to ensure that changes. Things that could
Help are being lost on here now ( including posts about the life of a WSD that is well looked after). So I am off. Hate it when things get silly and nasty. No
need.
Says she who has the opinion that chaining dogs is cruel regardless of how well cared for they are, where they are kept or that they leave a fulfilling life doing what they were bred to. Says she who apparently can tell whether a dog has developed learned helplessness without even having to clap eyes on it!

Not silly or nasty at all that.
Page 45 of 50 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 > Last »