View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2005, 06:18 PM
What will they do if a Lugger cuts his ears off?
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 02:08 PM
i get my boys a nice gift but only spend £150-£300 on a birthday gift and £200ish on a party. i don't think that is too much. and every year we give all are old toys and other things to children that don't have any. my boys are happy and don't want 4 anything and never ask 4 anything.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by pete
call me old fashioned but buyin any ear rings for a 6 year old lad is a bit silly.
THEY DONT SEEM TO HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO IT SEEMS
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 07:27 AM
I've read through this thread quickly.
Seems we have a few guilty parents of onlys me included.
My son gets lots of 'things' not just from us, from family and friends too, but he's a level headed thing and has made money for charity etc. He understands giving to people who are not as lucky as him. He is polite and well mannered and thoughtful towards others. He has NEVER thrown a paddy in a shop cos he can't have something, but we give him stuff, like a bloomin big trampoline as a surprise for the summer hols. We could have given that cash to charity but we already do a lot for charity and we are not rich.
Yes, that amount on earrings is ludicrous to us, but to them it's not. I believe they already give money to charity. Why shouldn't they spend their money???? It's theirs rightly or worngly and they already give enough away, possibly more than some would do, including their time on Christmas day. I don't like them, I don't think they should earn as much as they do, but they do give to others and if they want to buy their child an extravagant gift...why not???? It doesn't mean he's a spoilt brat, possessions don not make you spoilt, spoilt is an attitude...get me, give me, I want....
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2006, 09:46 AM
It's their money and they'll probably have a ridiculous income forever so they won't have to worry about what would happen if they suddenly weren't making so much money. As said earlier, they earn soo much money, a few grand is a drop in the ocean to them. If I was making the amount of money they do, my entire family would be set for my life, same as my kids. We don't know how they raise their kids so we don't know if they're spoilt brats or whatever, i don't think it's fair to judge them.

My parents weren't well off, I grew up in The Meadows area of Nottingham (which has a bad reputation according to the media) but me and my brother have never wanted for anything. I never asked for big gifts but they gave them to us anyway..i got a soft top for my 18th, my younger brother has just got a brand new astra, with mum paying for his driving lessons. People think we're too spoilt but I know the value of money and really appreciate all that my parents have done for me.I'm not bragging but I think that's the main difference...whether or not kids APPRECIATE all that is done for them.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 10:31 AM
If we had more I expect we would spend more on the boys, but we don't - we give them gifts we know they will love, even if the monetry value is low. For example, our youngest has recently turned 6, and we got a second hand bike, Kev spent his spare time doing it up - Joseph now has a very snazzy, unique bike, and most importantly he absolutely loves it!! He got a few other bits and bobs off us too, but the bike is his favourite. It is a present made up of love not money.

I grew up with very little, so really value what I have. Kev and a slightly different upbringing, and money wise I am more sensible. Our boys get more than I did, less than Kev did but I tell you what, boy do they appreciate what they do get. Their little eyes light up when I buy them a 35p pack of Dr Who stickers each!

The Beckhams have ridiculous amounts of money and I hear they do stuff for charity, but at the end of the day that isa the way they want to live so it's up to them. Hopefully their children will grow up with good values, but if not I hope the Beckhams don't ask "why?".
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4