Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Breeders is where we need to start looking at, if people didnt breed these dogs just for the sake of breeding and then they dont vet the owners then this is where the problems start!

Owners also really need to make sure they keep thier dogs under control, i think if another dog attack (be it to a human or another animal) then we really will feel the back lash!

Lets hope that the DDA and BSL does not come as forceful as it did a few years ago, because alot of beloved pets be them the american pitbull terrier, or any type of bull breed will be killed for no reason!

I can only blame breeders and the owners who get these dogs as some sort of hard dog!
I totally agree about the breeders, there needs to be far more strict regulation on breeders...To many breeders churning out dogs for the wrong reasons to the wrong sort of people is where it begins.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I feel that trying to do too much in one go will cause a massive back lash resulting in nothing being done.
It needs to be done slowly. The simplest and cheapest option is that every dog needs to be permenantly identified. Give people 6 mths to comply but for puppies they need to be done BEFORE they leave the breeder with immediate effect, so basically every puppy purchased after a certain date has to be done.
By law the owner has to transfer the dog into their name within a month of purchase (this allows for returnees) and if the details are found not to be up to date then huge fines etc.
Then we can tackle the other issues, however, I think banning the sale of puppies by third parties will drastically help with the numbers being bred.
Becky
Duffy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-01-2007, 12:03 PM
The main thing to do as far as I can see is to make the owners of the dogs involved in the attacks legally responsible for their dogs behaviour. They should then pay the penalty for their part in the attack. We give 15 years for murder don't we? whether it happens in the home or in the street, a crime has been committed and the perpertraitor should be charged with the death of the child concerned. I have no problem taking responsibility for my dog so why should this guy be any different.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I had a really good think about this last night..I would scrap licencing dogs, how about the owners being licenced to own a dog on completion of a dog ownership test, don't pass the test, you don't get the licence, you don't keep your dog..simple!
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I had a really good think about this last night..I would scrap licencing dogs, how about the owners being licenced to own a dog on completion of a dog ownership test, don't pass the test, you don't get the licence, you don't keep your dog..simple!
Yep, be it like the driving test...you have a theory and a practical!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:29 PM
So what you are saying is that people who may not be very intelligent or have problems with 'tests' but may well be a good owner will simply have their dog taken away from them? Where would all these dogs go? One way trip to the vet probably.
Becky
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
Yep, be it like the driving test...you have a theory and a practical!
Which is largly ignored by the type of people who keep "dangerous dogs"

Hate to sound like a broken record here but the only people who would be affected by new laws and tests etc are those who are already responsible. We have laws already... we need to have police and wardens on the streets being seen to use em.. simple as that.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
I think licences should be bought in for dog breeders. Basically, if you want to breed dogs, of any breed, then you need to obtain a licence before doing so. When you breed a litter of puppies they should all be registered onto some sort of system. That way the breeder will be known, and also the parents of the puppies born.

Also, I think the government should put their hands in their pockets and start paying for dog wardens. Dog wardens should patrol the streets just like police do. In the area where I live, I don't even know if there is a dog warden about...that's how cr@p my local council are about these things. The dog wardens should pick up, or at least question, all owners who appear to have out of control dogs on the other end of their leads.

Just my opinions.....
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Which is largly ignored by the type of people who keep "dangerous dogs"

Hate to sound like a broken record here but the only people who would be affected by new laws and tests etc are those who are already responsible. We have laws already... we need to have police and wardens on the streets being seen to use em.. simple as that.
I agree 100% Ian, this is my post that I have already written in reply to this thread.

I do also agree to licencing to a certain extent though, but you cant beat dog wardens on patrol.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I still think licencing the owners would be a better idea - what about those of us that live in multiple dog households..? It makes more sense to me to licence the owner for them to prove they are capable of handling every dog they own..Just a thought
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Problem is that our government has gone soft.. criminals get away with all sorts because officials are tip toeing around criminals "human rights".
They took discipline out of schools and now kids are growing up with no respect for any kind of authority. This whole thing runs far deeper than ownership of dogs and any new laws, licensing or other measures, although great ideas in principle, will only effect those who are already law abiding and responsible. My humble opinion only.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >