View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Hmm Gadget was playing with two staff X pit bulls a couple of months ago... thats what their owner told me they were... they were both off lead and no muzzles...
tiffanie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by bullbreedlover View Post
hi dont know if i am of any help but my husband work for the index of exempted breeds, people often get told that pit bulls and pit bull crosses are legal to own if they are neutered/spayed, muzzeled at all times whilst out walking, not to be walked by anyone under the age of 16, insured and registered with the index of exempted breeds, where u would recieve a certificate of exemption. this is all totally untrue. pit bulls and crosses are illegal to own and will not be made legal for the forseeable forture. the certificate of exemption was availble to ppl who owned pit bulls or pit crosses before they were placed on dda and apparently the records show that all the dogs with the certificate are deseased. i dont want to put a downer on things but i thought i had better say something. no1 is blind or stupid and we all know that there are pit bulls in the country, alot are not real but probably somewhere along the lines do have part pit in them. i will put my hands up and admit i am a huge pit bull fan, i own an american staff which is the closest legal dog i could own to a pit bull. im not preaching to u not to own one but so u know if u got one and were caught with it, not only will u be prosecuted but the dog will be destroyed. i dont know about u but i couldnt live with a dogs death on my concience knowing it was because of my ignorance. i hope this helps any questions u may have. if u would like a contact number for the index of exempted breeds to clarify anything i have said please feel free to ask. thanx

Hi Bullbreedlover,

Just wondering how it is possible for you to own an American Staff. I thought this breed was also classed as a pit bull and therefore illegal? Please can you set the record straight for me?

Many Thanks,

Tiffanie.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:33 PM
how could anyone possibly proove it was a pit-bull in order to have it put to sleep? There is no biological test that can proove anything. People tell me my jaz looks like a pitbull, esp. little townie folk, which i think is hilarious (and sad at the same time) he father was a german shepherd and his mother a staffordshire...
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
...I definitely saw a full on pit bull today...
Doesn't surprise me, A, we live in bandit country!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
how could anyone possibly proove it was a pit-bull in order to have it put to sleep? There is no biological test that can proove anything. People tell me my jaz looks like a pitbull, esp. little townie folk, which i think is hilarious (and sad at the same time) he father was a german shepherd and his mother a staffordshire...
they don't need to rpove anthing to have it PTS they can just do it, if there is any question of there being pit bull in the make up, it can be PTS...no need for tests, just people looking at it...
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Just wanted to add....

My OH used to own a Pit Bull, years ago before the ban (when he was young ) lovely soppy old thing, shortly after the ban was in place, he was out walking it without a muzzle, he was seen by the police, they took the dog off him and he never saw it again, the dog was only 8 months old and my OH was devastated.

Buying an illegal dog is just not worth it, it will end in alot of heartache, my OH has never really got over it, it was his first dog and is why we have always had dogs since

Jules
xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Jules, your poor OH. That is exactly the sort of story I'm afraid we are going to start hearing again and again if knee jerk legislation comes into place...hugs. Ax
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I too wouldn't shout too loudly about owning an American Staff as they could potentially fall under the 'as of type' or as the DDA act states "any other dog known as the Pit Bull Terrier"

BUT if you read the "Dangerous Dogs Act Ammendment 1997" no breeds as such are mentioned or outlined as illegal to own unless people read the DDA 1991 so maybe 'some' are using the ammendment as a loophole in the law??? Or maybe I am just way off......

Maybe the act ought to be written out more clearly, stating which breeds and 'as of types' are actually banned to make things a little clearer. I dont support the DDA and never will but I can see why some find the readings confusing.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:58 PM
i feel so sorry for bull breeds but mainly pitbull terriers! First off pitbulls are such amazing canines and the best canine to ever walk this planet! THEY SHOULDNT BE BANNED and not everyone who has a pitbull or a pitbull x are chavs or hard people, many real dog men and women own this breed and they would knock us off our feet with the know about canines and how much they love them!
By bringing these adverts to light and complaining about pitbull x and breeding you are infact asking for the dda and rspca scum to come and put to sleep innoccent dogs for no reason!
Granted many fools own bull breeds but so do many fools own gsd, labs, spainels and collies etc

so give up on the sterotyping about pitbull owners as if i could own a pitbull without the law threating its life then id be straight in! But i dont need to crop ears or walk down the street thinking im hard, id be blessed with owning the best breed to exsist
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi

I'm de-lurking for the first time and will get around to an intro posting soon. I have a wonderful 5 month old staffie girl having, earlier this year, lost my 12 year old beloved staffie boy. He was a rather long legged lad and could have been mistaken for a "Pit Bull type" (DEFRA's wording). I now live in North London where I see a huge number of "Pit Bull types". Probably a lot of pit x's and American staffies and American bulldogs. Most seem to be owned by the type of person who want them as hard trophy dogs and most likely receiving the sort of "care" most dog owners would find abhorrent.

However, it's not the dogs' faults, as usual it comes back to the owners. Banning certain breeds will not stop such people owning trophy dogs. IMHO breed specific legislation does more harm than good. It just makes these dogs even more desirable and places them at far greater risk. These dogs are usually aggressive, not because of nature, but nurture. We all know that any dog can bit, harm or kill. However the stories that usually make the media are the ones about bull or guarding breeds. Why? Because they fit the stereotype and people can feel justifiably incensed. No one wants to think that the Andrex puppy could possibly turn mean.

By all means have a go at irresponsible bull breed owners, but please have a go at all irresponsible dog owners regardless of the breed. I have never been harmed by a bull breed. However, as a child, my ear was torn open by a Dachshund and I lived in fear of our neighbour's ankle biting Chihuahua.

Apologies, rant over.
Sammymax
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >