Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover

pod - "I know very little about JF’s methods but would be very surprised if she really does insist that every dog, including puppies, should always eat after the owner."

And you'd be right. It's a practise she generally recommends for about two weeks after taking ownership of a new dog, or when starting on her training regime.

In the light of GSDLover's comment, could you explain where this has come from Wysiwyg -

"The inference being that if any dog eats before the owner then there is a danger of the dog wanting to "take over"."
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
For clarity, I'll quote from the book directly: (non salient points removed)

... the wolf Alpha pair are at their most dominant during the gathering and consumption of food. Their job, after all, is to preserve and protect the pack: without them, the pack would not survive. Meal times enshrine this order in the most symbolic way. By ensuring they eat first at mealtimes, the Alpha pair signal in unequivocal terms that they are the leaders. By giving their leaders first refusal at every mealtime, the rest of the pack are acknowledging that they instinctively understand this. Even if there is only enough food for two wolves, the pack will expect the Alpha pair to eat it all, to ensure the survival of the pack.

Gesture eating is my way of demonstrating the owner's primacy at feeding time. It is an element I ask people to apply for a minimum of two weeks. If at all possible, I prefer every family member to participate. By acting as a team, this will allow you to communicate an immense amount of information and will establish you at an upper level of the household's hierachy.
I hope that helps clarify.

Personally, I do have one issue with this theory but I think it's sort of answered throughout the book. My issue is that if I follow this logic to the letter, then the day I stop doing it, after the two week period (or however long), then I relinquish the higher position again. However, the book sort of states that the other (hierachy gathering) elements of the training will also be kicking in and that this is not the sole method, but rather a very clear and striking method to get the ball rolling, as it were.

Something else to note, which I think is often misinterpreted with JF is the line "will establish you at an upper level of the household's hierachy". Note she doesn't state that you will be leader of the wolf pack, in fact, she doesn't state that you will be leader of anything. She states, very clearly in my view, that it will establish you as ahead of the dog in your family unit (of which your dog is now also a member of). Something that I really don't believe anyone can argue the importance of.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Gosh, the discussion has moved on apace since I last peeked in.

I don't like the eating first theory, I don't have time for it, I have dogs to feed (they eat at different times) and family to feed. My dogs generally eat before me and they respect me. My pups initially have 4 meals a day, they have to sit and wait and eat on command, and I have no need to stick my face in their bowl. I don't have time to do it and wouldn't want to...my dogs ain't thick, they would know if I'd eaten their food, I'd smell of it!
Sorry, I don't like it, my opinion and I've never found it necessary. Nor do I like the idea of a dog being totally focused on me as I eat my meal, I call that begging...I expect my dogs to go away and find something more interesting to do when I eat as they know they ain't getting anything!!!!
as an aside, my pups always eat bfore my older dogs, never had any problems there either!!!
We're all different so are dogs and I don't think we'll ever really understand them totally and isn't that the joy of knowing them????
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I have no need to stick my face in their bowl. I don't have time to do it and wouldn't want to
I think you may have completely misunderstood the concept there. <Wonders how many people have had visions of me sticking my face in a dog bowl> lol

Let me further assure, you, the very last thing my dog does when I am eating my meals is watch me eating them. Her usual practise is to go and lie down, actually quite uninterested in my eating, as it should be. What on earth made you think otherwise?
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Personally, I do have one issue with this theory but I think it's sort of answered throughout the book. My issue is that if I follow this logic to the letter, then the day I stop doing it, after the two week period (or however long), then I relinquish the higher position again. However, the book sort of states that the other (hierachy gathering) elements of the training will also be kicking in and that this is not the sole method, but rather a very clear and striking method to get the ball rolling, as it were.

Something else to note, which I think is often misinterpreted with JF is the line "will establish you at an upper level of the household's hierachy". Note she doesn't state that you will be leader of the wolf pack, in fact, she doesn't state that you will be leader of anything. She states, very clearly in my view, that it will establish you as ahead of the dog in your family unit (of which your dog is now also a member of). Something that I really don't believe anyone can argue the importance of.
I think your last point explains it. I have never felt the need to deliberately eat before my dogs yet they know that if I wanted to, I would take food from them or stick my face in their bowls and they would accept my authority to do this. I see 'eating first' as just one, easy-to-use method of reinforcing status which only becomes neccessary when other, perhaps more subtle behaviours, have not already established hierarchy.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:01 AM
I think you may have completely misunderstood the concept there. <Wonders how many people have had visions of me sticking my face in a dog bowl> lol

Let me further assure, you, the very last thing my dog does when I am eating my meals is watch me eating them. Her usual practise is to go and lie down, actually quite uninterested in my eating, as it should be. What on earth made you think otherwise?
*sighs*
I was adding some frivolity into the discussion. Apologies. I don't think anyone has the image of you with your head in a dog bowl.

HTML Code:
Now, I take the advice, and great, if it does help to reinforce any "alpha" status all the better. However, that's not really why I use it. As I'm munching away, I'm watching my dog sitting patiently beside me with her eyes focused squarely on me, when she could just as easily run around like a catherine wheel firework by my legs. I consider this a crucial time in my dog's daily routine to expand her concentration levels by sitting patiently and politely, with her attention being where it may well need to be in a life-threatening situation one day, firmly on me. The alpha status is very much a secondary benefit, it it exists at all.
Whilst here you were discussing eating your dogs food...you are still eating, she is watching therefore, I see it as begging. My opinion GSD Lover. I think there are other, more appropriate times to teach a 'look' command. That's fine, my opinion and you have yours. I apologise if i didn't phrase my last post very well. I hope you understand my points now.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by pod
In the light of GSDLover's comment, could you explain where this has come from Wysiwyg -

"The inference being that if any dog eats before the owner then there is a danger of the dog wanting to "take over"."

I don't know whether it's me but i don't always "get" what you mean!? Sorry not trying to be obtuse, The comment made was referring to pack theory generally as it has always been taught by dog trainers to owners over the years who believe in and follow it. The belief has been to control a dog who seems to be always waiting in the winds to "take over" the "family pack". Eating before the dog was one of the "rules" followed to apparently prevent a dog taking over alpha position So where it has "come from" is historically dog trainers who have believed in pack theory.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I think that too many people see problems with their dogs that simply are not there. First time owners in particular get so terribly confused with all the theories that they sometimes lose sight of the joy having a dog.

Common sense goes a long, long way. Certainly if there are problems then measures need to be implemented, but don't look for and assign difficulties/problems that do not really exist. Generally, with a well-adjusted dog/puppy, eating first, getting on furniture if the owners do not object, going through doors first (sometimes necessary), etc., does not mean that the dog will assume a 'dominant' role.

If there is a rapport based on mutual trust and affection, and if training in what you want and find acceptable is implemented from an early stage then the relationship will be a happy one for both dog and owner.

We should endeavour to make our dogs' regrettably short lives as enjoyable as possible within the bounds of harmonious household relations and social acceptability.
Agree with everything you say Shadowboxer, you are good at putting things in nutshells
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by pod
"The view re pack theory has historically been that "alpha eats first", period. I've never heard anything else. The inference being that if any dog eats before the owner then there is a danger of the dog wanting to "take over". So pack theory itself doesn't make, and never has made, any qualifications about the young eating first."

My understanding of pack theory is different to this. My observations, as well as readings, have led me to understand that a confident, dominant dog in a stable pack structure does not need to eat first on every occasion. Pups and youngsters will often be allowed to eat first and pinch food from older dogs when it poses no threat to pack stability. An older youngster on the other hand would know better than to try this on the alpha dog unless it was a deliberate challenge.
I think we are maybe talking (or posting!) at cross purposes here...you seem to be referring to pack theory as "what wolves do" whereas i'm referring to it as the training method based on "what scientists and behaviourists have previously told us they do" ie it's not the same as what they actually do do (as we know now).
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by pod
A captive pack could not be expected to show normal behaviour. In times of stress (such as captivity) or dietary hardship, the alphas would need to reinforce their status. I don’t see the relevance of this.
It is very relevant though. Agreed, captive packs (this is individual animals which were brought together and set free in a designated area) don't show normal behaviour - my point is that until very recently, "pack theory" as related to dog ownership was based on exactly this

Ie it was based on behaviour that was not normal, but was thought to be normal.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >