View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bowowee
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmmm...I haven't tried giving my dog raw food since I don't eat raw.
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Well, in my area I cannot get Chicken carcasses so I feed kibble in the morning and AMP tripe at night , I feed AMP with veggies. I wish I were in an area that had a more suitable butcher
OH !! Tesco's Raw Turkey thighs .dogs love them
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bowowee
Hmmm...I haven't tried giving my dog raw food since I don't eat raw.
Do you eat dogfood/kibble?

Or do you feed your dog what you are eating??

Sorry, but I found that a strange remark
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Do you eat dogfood/kibble?

Or do you feed your dog what you are eating??

Sorry, but I found that a strange remark
Yes I agree here . Bellaluna is not a dog. I also find this strange
jo p
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi Folks,
Nelson is fed raw - he is now 6 mths old and has been on raw since weaning. As far as 'catching' anything from raw meat I think I am right in saying one could only catch Hydatids from raw meat if it was from older animals and not bought as fit for human consumption. In short all Nelsons meat is bought from the Supermarket. The biggest part of his diet is raw chicken wings as they contain just about everything he needs to grow slowly, healthily and to promote a long life. For anyone who fancies trying raw feeding buy 'Give Your Dog A Bone' by Dr Ian Billinghurst - it is the raw feeding bible.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Dogs are meant to eat raw food - they don't go out and kill a rabbit then cook it! As for worms they are unlikely to get them from raw meat from a butcher = but it is a probability from fresh caught game (not that they are supposed to catch their own nowadays). All mine are wormed routinely every 3 months anyway and always have done, regardless of the diet.

It takes no longer to feed raw food - in fact I find it quicker. When I'm in a hurry its much quicker to give the dogs a raw chicken carcass or lamb ribs than it is to mess about getting bowls and complete food etc. It is best fed defrosted, but I must confess mine sometimes get it a bit on the frozen side if I've defrosted in the fridge and it hasnt quite thawed out. Its so easy though - you only have to get it out of the freezer the day before and let it defrost in the fridge - replacing daily so there is a constant supply ready to feed.

Theres much more goodness in raw food than in tinned - which is mostly water.

I've used BARF diet for years and reared many healthy chunky litters of shelties and Northern Inuits and wouldnt feed anything else. Don't forget to feed veg as well though.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
Dogs are meant to eat raw food - they don't go out and kill a rabbit then cook it! As for worms they are unlikely to get them from raw meat from a butcher = but it is a probability from fresh caught game (not that they are supposed to catch their own nowadays). All mine are wormed routinely every 3 months anyway and always have done, regardless of the diet.

It takes no longer to feed raw food - in fact I find it quicker. When I'm in a hurry its much quicker to give the dogs a raw chicken carcass or lamb ribs than it is to mess about getting bowls and complete food etc. It is best fed defrosted, but I must confess mine sometimes get it a bit on the frozen side if I've defrosted in the fridge and it hasnt quite thawed out. Its so easy though - you only have to get it out of the freezer the day before and let it defrost in the fridge - replacing daily so there is a constant supply ready to feed.

Theres much more goodness in raw food than in tinned - which is mostly water.

I've used BARF diet for years and reared many healthy chunky litters of shelties and Northern Inuits and wouldnt feed anything else. Don't forget to feed veg as well though.
I totally agree.. I've only fed raw since september this year, but I find it just as easy. I also take food out of the freezer the day before and defreeze in the fridge.. very easy
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

18-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Yes I usually take it out day or 2 in advance, cept I forgot yesterday & its now sitting outside hoping it`ll defrost by tonight

Did take their big bones out for today tho
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Every we feed our boy is feed raw, we give him whole rabbits minus heads to eat including the guts... does mean worming more though. feeding the can food is crap and the death biscuit is horrible too. Chester has been so much better on raw its unbelievable.

And anyone feeding beef (I think it is) has to be frozen first before feeding it to the dog.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't know much about feeding raw, so sorry if this is a stupid question. Why can dogs eat raw meat without getting food poisoning like we do?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >