View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aries Spirit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2014, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE=mjfromga;2778701]Oh, no. So sorry you're going through this. Mange etc. does tend to attack a dog with a low immune system so it makes sense. Perhaps he is having some sort of severe allergic reaction? /QUOTE]

I havent heard much since the last update.

Hes getting cytology. Aerobic and anaerobic cultur and suscept. And misscellaneous meds (reading from the bill ).

The tech said hes wagging the tail, but not much more. Hubby wants to put him down before he suffers more, but i have a bit of hope
Aries Spirit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2014, 02:51 AM
Puppy strangles is the verdict. And the bill was 450. Hes got and taken his meds
Aries Spirit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2014, 04:01 AM
UPdate, hes got a hole in his neck, the size of of the plug in of a cellphone charge cord (the part that goes in to the phone to charge) and his ear has two holes each side.

Any ideas how to keep the wounds clean? can I use water soapy, if so what kind like Dawn or don't do it, bad me? or does it have to be a dry cloth and very gently (of course) wipe it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/br0xi0rwmz9tdvg/CAM00137.jpg (just before we went to ER)

Current

https://www.dropbox.com/s/732n3lgykq24r5f/CAM00138.jpg
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Why does he have holes in his neck and ears? And why has your Vet not given you advice as to how to treat him?

Aries Spirit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2014, 04:29 AM
To let it drain. And all she told me was to keep an eye on the wounds and wipe as needed. I asked about covering it at night, but she said no. I dint think 4 hours of it covered woulda been a big deal.

But its leave it,medicate the pup properly and clean with rags when needed
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, poor little pup. This must be very upsetting for you.

I can see why the vets want the wounds to drain but I wonder if you could clean the wounds with hot salt water? I would call the vets and ask.

I really hope things improve for you both.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Poor pup you know what it is now so hopefully with the veterinary advice he will now improve and recover.
For cleaning the wound I think ring the vet and ask what is the best way to deal with it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Mange? Blood blisters on eye? And now holes in the pups neck and ears that have suddenly appeared but which were not originally mentioned?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-01-2014, 09:22 AM
They are drains I believe Malka which have been put there so fluid doesn't build up. That would be why they weren't mentioned in the first posts. The poster is looking for help how to keep them clean. I feel the vets would be best to advise.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Aries Spirit View Post
Puppy strangles is the verdict. And the bill was 450. Hes got and taken his meds
Had never heard of puppy strangles.Really sorry your puppy is effected with this
Was having a read on PetMD,sorry I can't post a link.
Apparently Golden Retreiver puppies have been shown as one of the breeds predisposed to this condition.
It is treated with Corticosteroids and the vet can also give a topical ointment to sooth and ease pain.
Recovery time is normally 10-14 days and in most cases do not recur.
So if this is what it is and he's getting the right treatment,there is light at the end of the tunnel
In short I'd be asking my vet if the meds he's on are Corticosteroids and also look into getting some ointment.I really wish you both well,the future looks good for him(( hugs))
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »